Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up my new 2022 yesterday. Right off the bat I noticed something different - the voltage on the dash stayed at 12.8 to 13.0 and I mean stayed there, for the whole trip home.
Today we drove it 50 minutes up to Ames - and of course 50 minutes back after some errands up there. ESS worked fine when all conditions were met and the voltage - 12.8 most of the time, 12.7 once in a while, 13.1 when I really let off the throttle.
Got home and after 2 hours sitting, battery voltage at 12.74.
Also noted voltage at an ESS event the voltage started at 12.7 with engine off and stayed there a while and it was quite a while before it dropped to 12.6 - it hit 12.5 just the time it was restarting.
So during an ESS event, the voltage doesn't drop quickly at all, and in fact stays very steady through the whole "stop" event. Once it starts, like the training stuff says, it does kick the voltage up to 13.1 for a few seconds, then it settles back to 12.9 or so for a while.
I never saw the voltage over low 13s at all in the last two days.
The other truck was up in the 14s a lot, in fact, most of the time in the past year. Even in the first year I noticed the voltage stayed around 14.6-14.7 and that concerned me until I educated myself on the charging needs of AGM and how these work so differently than some other systems.
To see it down under 13 with our heat, AC running, amazing.
It's a very different truck so far on the voltages.
We'll see how things go when it sits 2 or 3 days in a row or maybe makes short drives after sitting a few days.
Can't wait to measure battery voltage after it has been sitting a day or two. The other dropped fairly quickly, IMO.
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Picked up my new 2022 yesterday. Right off the bat I noticed something different - the voltage on the dash stayed at 12.8 to 13.0 and I mean stayed there, for the whole trip home.
Today we drove it 50 minutes up to Ames - and of course 50 minutes back after some errands up there. ESS worked fine when all conditions were met and the voltage - 12.8 most of the time, 12.7 once in a while, 13.1 when I really let off the throttle.
Also noted voltage at an ESS event the voltage started at 12.7 with engine off and stayed there a while and it was quite a while before it dropped to 12.6 - it hit 12.5 just the time it was restarting.
So during an ESS event, the voltage doesn't drop quickly at all, and in fact stays very steady through the whole "stop" event. Once it starts, like the training stuff says, it does kick the voltage up to 13.1 for a few seconds, then it settles back to 12.9 or so for a while.
The other truck was up in the 14s a lot, in fact, most of the time in the past year. Even in the first year I noticed the voltage stayed around 14.6-14.7 and that concerned me until I educated myself on the charging needs of AGM and how these work so differently than some other systems.
We'll see how things go when it sits 2 or 3 days in a row or maybe makes short drives after sitting a few days.
Can't wait to measure battery voltage after it has been sitting a day or two. The other dropped fairly quickly, IMO.
Im actually seeing the same readings since changing my battery. its SLOWLY climbed over the last several days...but I havent seen over 13.5 yet.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Unrelated to the voltage stuff, what model is your new JT?

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Unrelated to the voltage stuff, what model is your new JT?
Overland. This time got the aux switches, Gorilla Glass and Selec-Trac transfer case.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
I just purchased a dash cam that records even while the truck is powered off (via an always powered AUX fuse) based on neighborhood theft rising. It seems like it's a recipe for disaster though with this leech of an AUX battery.

The camera has a voltage monitor that'll prevent the battery from draining below 11.7V (adjustable to 12.4), but I feel like based on these findings it will always be shutting itself off and will defeat the purpose of having a camera that always records.

Are my concerns misguided?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I just purchased a dash cam that records even while the truck is powered off (via an always powered AUX fuse) based on neighborhood theft rising. It seems like it's a recipe for disaster though with this leech of an AUX battery.

The camera has a voltage monitor that'll prevent the battery from draining below 11.7V (adjustable to 12.4), but I feel like based on these findings it will always be shutting itself off and will defeat the purpose of having a camera that always records.

I don't think the draw from the dashcam will be a problem. If it becomes one, it's probably time to replace the batteries.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

11.7 is taking a battery pretty low. I'd never want any accessory to take mine below 12.1 or 12.2 - and these can get that low if it sits a few days without added stuff.
I'd probably set it to 12.0 or 12.1 to ensure it would start.

Isn't there a way to set it like a critter cam - coming on only with motion detected?
Constant recording would take batteries down pretty quickly.
Always on but only recording when motion is detected is another thing.

I don't think the draw from the dashcam will be a problem. If it becomes one, it's probably time to replace the batteries.
Something always on, always recording - all while the vehicle is already a load on the batteries?
I'd be concerned if it was sitting 3 or 4 days.
I'd at least set it so it couldn't draw things below 12.0 or so.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
11.7 is taking a battery pretty low. I'd never want any accessory to take mine below 12.1 or 12.2 - and these can get that low if it sits a few days without added stuff.

Isn't there a way to set it like a critter cam - coming on only with motion detected?

Something always on, always recording - all while the vehicle is already a load on the batteries?
Dashcams with this feature usually use a motion sensor and only record when they sense movement. I'm assuming that's what he has.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dashcams with this feature usually use a motion sensor and only record when they sense movement. I'm assuming that's what he has.
THAT makes sense, yeah.

But now I'm curious about the camera! If it only records when motion is detected, how much does it save? Some save like only the last 60 seconds, just for example, so if it detects motion and someone does damage, then leaves, then it detects motion again, is the first instance lost?
I'm just curious now.

Mister Lamb

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator

I've yet to receive the cam but upon further digging you are correct. The cam will record only when it detects motion. Apparently there are two different types of cables that can be purchased to supply the camera with power while the truck is off. The first (the one I bought), taps to the fuse box and the voltage adjustment requires removing screws and exposing a motherboard where you can manually adjust the voltage cut-off. This method is not even found in the manual which means the stock cable comes set to shut off at 11.7V. Unless you're taking apart components anyone who buys this cable will have their batteries drained to 11.7V.

The second cable they sell plugs into the ODB port and automatically kills the camera at 12V (stock, without fiddling with internals). It's definitely more convenient not having to run cable but the idea of a dash cam plugged into the ODB 24/7 isn't all that comforting.

It also looks like it has two settings:

1. Where the camera will run continuously for 10 mins after the truck is turned off and then power up again only at the sight of motion

or

2. Where the camera is continuously recording while the truck is off. This setting is where the 12V shut-off would apply it seems

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
In trying to figure out why my battery won’t go over 13. 5 V ever, and is often in the 12.5 range… I’ve had the battery checked and was told it was good and now have an appointment with my dealer to have my alternator looked at. In the meantime I’d like to inspect my ground cable from the battery and make sure that hasn’t come dislodged or has some thing that’s messing with it.

Aside from the actual connection to the battery terminal where is the ground wire connected to the truck?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In trying to figure out why my battery won’t go over 13. 5 V ever, and is often in the 12.5 range… I’ve had the battery checked and was told it was good and now have an appointment with my dealer to have my alternator looked at. In the meantime I’d like to inspect my ground cable from the battery and make sure that hasn’t come dislodged or has some thing that’s messing with it.

Aside from the actual connection to the battery terminal where is the ground wire connected to the truck?
How old are your batteries? Typically, the higher charging voltages are there when the batteries are depleted. If it is being driven a good distance every day, the voltage level may show higher at startup, but will drop down around 13 during use.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
How old are your batteries? Typically, the higher charging voltages are there when the batteries are depleted. If it is being driven a good distance every day, the voltage level may show higher at startup, but will drop down around 13 during use.
My old battery was over two years and was regularly dropping voltage. I started to drop down below 12.2 when ess was active which would cause the truck to restart and give me a rando turn signal error.

Once I replaced it the voltage wont go nearly as high as it used to with my oem battery. 14 - 14.8 v.

Ans does the exact same thing my old battery did. Which makes me think its a problem elsewhere.

Had the battery tested and it passed. The NAPA test device showed my alternator output at 12.67 at idle. Which as far as I know is low.

Ive had the alternator replaced once before under warranty, so i wont be surprised if thats it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My old battery was over two years and was regularly dropping voltage. I started to drop down below 12.2 when ess was active which would cause the truck to restart and give me a rando turn signal error.

Once I replaced it the voltage wont go nearly as high as it used to with my oem battery. 14 - 14.8 v.

Ans does the exact same thing my old battery did. Which makes me think its a problem elsewhere.

Had the battery tested and it passed. The NAPA test device showed my alternator output at 12.67 at idle. Which as far as I know is low.

Ive had the alternator replaced once before under warranty, so i wont be surprised if thats it.
Was the ESS battery replaced with the main battery? If it is failing, it will cause odd issues.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Was the ESS battery replaced with the main battery? If it is failing, it will cause odd issues.
Yep, I replaced them both.
Sponsored