Sponsored

Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock?

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
What is the use case that Jeep stands behind such that my hood isn't locked? I've been looking into purchasing some aftermarket locking hood latches but it seems there isn't a whole lot available. Before you suggest that I haven't Googled it or searched, I have. It would be great to find something that looks nearly OEM without the manufacturer's name or logo on it. Is this even a real concern?
I thought you might like some actual pictures. (Installed on my JTRD)

I also forgot to mention, even though the kit comes with them, I was able to use the OEM latches that attach to the hood (the ones in the kit are identical)

The other plus for me is they use a barrel key instead of a blade key like most others do.. for example , the Quadratec can be picked with just about any small key.(from what I've read/heard) same with other blade key brands.

So for the installation, I had to remove one 10mm nut, remove latch base, replace new latch base and reinstall the 10mm nut... took less than 10 minutes to do both sides.
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? 20220728_114300
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? 20220728_114305
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? 20220728_114315
Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I did these and am perfectly happy with them - look OEM and are an easy install. Another member on this forum said he had some rusting early on, but that has not been the case for me. Happy with the product and its performance over ~2 years.
They look very similar to the ones I posted, with the exception... the ones I got used a barrel key which I prefer over the blade key.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
You didn't look hard enough... but here you go buddy !

I just purchased these for less than $35... they are as OEM as you can get. They are actually IDENTICAL to the oem, with the exception of where the lock hole is and the type of material the metal hood catch is made of or coated with. .... but Nothing is going to stop a determined thief/criminal... but they will keep out the curious and opportunist.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3034687951...ir0w76wTdi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

*(The pictures are not my JT, they are stock photos)
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? 1659029217550
Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? 1659029217550
Are those keyed different? I see 4 keys, would hope one key for both....just sayin

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
I appreciate all the responses. I am still waiting on some information regarding why our hoods don't latch and lock like every other vehicle on the road? Also, with all the advancements over the years, why do the hoods also require a prop? I fixed that issue already, but I am curious as well.

Mball488

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military
I appreciate all the responses. I am still waiting on some information regarding why our hoods don't latch and lock like every other vehicle on the road? Also, with all the advancements over the years, why do the hoods also require a prop? I fixed that issue already, but I am curious as well.
Jeep has always been known for keeping the heritage. I understand that some export models come standard with hood locks, but really how much is their to steal from under the hood. In regards to the hood prop that is due to us being able to completely fold back the hood and rest it along the windshield frame. That was done way back in the day so that Soldiers could replace engines in the field if necessary and it just kind of stuck. I don't need that function and installed the redline tuning hydraulic lifters to make my life easier.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The hood prop thing is pretty awesome if you're working on anything in the engine bay towards the back (windshield side). You get so much room by flipping the hood up until it rests on the windshield. Also our hoods do latch (but not lock). The side latches are the secondary latches. There's a latch in the middle.

A lot of it is heritage, and "it's a jeep thing" really applies. It's cheap enough to change if you don't like it, which is also big in jeep heritage: a huge aftermarket. Also, I think the allure is that so much is not like every other vehicle on the road.

I'm thinking of adding hydraulic struts with a quick disconnect, so I can still flip the hood back if I want to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Jeep has always been known for keeping the heritage. I understand that some export models come standard with hood locks, but really how much is their to steal from under the hood. In regards to the hood prop that is due to us being able to completely fold back the hood and rest it along the windshield frame. That was done way back in the day so that Soldiers could replace engines in the field if necessary and it just kind of stuck. I don't need that function and installed the redline tuning hydraulic lifters to make my life easier.
I installed the same hydraulic lifters, but thank you for the explanation...makes sense! I've just been running across stories about theft across all vehicles and thought 'Do I need to protect my battery?" or ' Do I need to protect my CAI?'. I realize I am Iowa, which makes it, almost more reasonable to think, I may need some deterrent. What else do the thieves have to do here? Maybe do a donut in a corn field or steal my locking hood latches off my porch?

905_gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
the crooks open the hood disable something their computer reads the vin and they are able to start the vehicle and take off

mog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubicon, '09 C4500 Kodiak
Occupation
Kodiak Buckaroo
Here is the link to the recent Rugged Ridge Hood Lock thread - CLICK
I have these and am very impressed with the quality.
Sponsored