First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Question for the OP, was your truck used? I can’t figure out why the dealer would install this on a new vehicle. If it was new, can you explain further to where exactly this was installed? I want to check my truck
Some dealers target a less reputable clientele. Not saying OP is one of those types, but his dealership probably was. I worked at a new Nissan dealer that made most of their money putting 530 credit scores in Cadillac CTSs and Chevrolet Equinoxes.

With used car values through the roof, it's probably much easier to get 500s into new cars, especially wranglers and truck with sky high book values right now. If ghe dealership purposefully targets these types, a GPS tracker might just be part of PDI and they just don't bother to take them out when a regular Joe buys them.
Sponsored

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Question for the OP, was your truck used? I can’t figure out why the dealer would install this on a new vehicle. If it was new, can you explain further to where exactly this was installed? I want to check my truck
The dealer I bought mine from removed their tracker from my brand new Gladiator. They said all the vehicles they have on the lot will have them in the event someone wants to steal a brand new or used vehicle from the lot. I can help the police track it easier.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
Some dealers target a less reputable clientele. Not saying OP is one of those types, but his dealership probably was. I worked at a new Nissan dealer that made most of their money putting 530 credit scores in Cadillac CTSs and Chevrolet Equinoxes.

With used car values through the roof, it's probably much easier to get 500s into new cars, especially wranglers and truck with sky high book values right now. If ghe dealership purposefully targets these types, a GPS tracker might just be part of PDI and they just don't bother to take them out when a regular Joe buys them.
I ordered my truck. Credit score >800. I think it is a default receiving process: slap their stupid dealer sticker on back, install GPS tracker, install wheel locks (which they didn't charge me for).

OP
OP
India-ThreeZeroThree

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
brand new. Maybe a sign of the times.

i saw that red wire with fuse hanging from directly under the steering wheel space. I knew it wasn’t stock and had a idea it was a asset management dealer tracker. I didn’t recall being notified about these things. I got separate financing so screw those guys.
I pulled the plastic panel and there was the trucker

OP
OP
India-ThreeZeroThree

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

It was Scottsdale dealership. I would understand if it was Luke downtown or even Larry Miller in Avondale. But Chapman in Snobsdale??? 😂

maybe because i got a Sport level. 😂. Gladiator for the poors even though I got 2.49 % Apr

nvm. Chapman isn’t the rich people dealership. So yeah, hood rat shit

Sponsored

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Theft protection or not- unless it’s a lease? Or financed by FCA- how is this not invasion of privacy and wouldn’t this be illegal without a disclosure?

edit- great, y’all got me half twisted with my head so far under the dash it’s insane…..

Found this above the obd2 plug in- anyone know what goes here?

Jeep Gladiator Dealer GPS Tracker 8424F92A-F254-439C-A744-3CACDB029B05

401F5430-BFF7-4270-8B1B-2083C77DF475.jpeg

OP
OP
India-ThreeZeroThree

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Theft protection or not- unless it’s a lease? Or financed by FCA- how is this not invasion of privacy and wouldn’t this be illegal without a disclosure?

edit- great, y’all got me half twisted with my head so far under the dash it’s insane…..

8424F92A-F254-439C-A744-3CACDB029B05.jpeg

That looks like one of the J scan type adapters. GPS tracker just uses one for power.
As far as FCA financing I imagine they can ping your location via Uconnect. The dealer tracker might have been requirement for them to get loans to buy the cars. I looked it up and these trackers are like $20.
I should have taken a pic of the install. It was like nothing. One blade tap into one wire behind obd plug and one small ground and one zip tie. A 5 min job max.
As far as invasion of privacy well we always carry a cell phone. That’s pingable. I’ve written warrants for phone pings and also need a warrant to put a tracker. That’s required for government. Now private enterprise, different ordeal. I imagine at some point t we will see some states restrict these. Insurance companies is another. But yeah, we are losing our privacy. For now these devices need cell coverage to transmit locations. Only uses satellites for finding locations. For now that is
None the less, yes, dealers need to let customers know or opt out of gps tracking.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Damn, new is concerning. I bought mine at the end of 2020, 2021 model ordered from the factory, and the FCA 0% loan. If there is one installed I'm going to be bitching for sure....

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator Dealer GPS Tracker 401F5430-BFF7-4270-8B1B-2083C77DF475

There's a connection for the trailer brake controller up above the OBD port.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Found this stupid thing under the dash because of sloppy install and the wire hung down. Red is tapped into OBDII line and other is grounded. The body zip tied to the moulding support.

Me being me with a dark sense of humor, let’s have some fun with it.
Stay tuned .

3B8F98AC-CC5B-4871-9925-C9D0ED4834F9.jpeg
Don't waste your time and money. Nobody is watching it. For most dealers, now, one of these is installed as soon as it's unloaded. It's primarily for inventory management and control. They are not expensive enough to justify removal. Many of them were 3G devices, which means they won't work much longer or have already stopped working.

Mine came with one of these installed. It included a three year paid subscription for a tracking service, similar to what is available for the 8.4 Uconnect. They offered a renewal when it expired in July. I turned it down, not only for the $460 cost, but also because they wanted to send someone out to remove the old unit and install a newer model (presumably 4G capable).

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Nah. That doesn’t work.
Im retired from a three letter fed agency. I’ve slapped these on my share of bad guys cars. With some electrical tape, rare earth magnets, epoxy glue, a label maker I would have a neat little pretend DEA or FBI tracker

Now the target. One of my best friends or my 17 year old daughter’s fairly new boyfriend. I just got to make it somewhat easy to find. And let the fun begin. Someone has to keep that fkr on his toes.
Im thinking maybe the label should read DEA TRK-5309. Or FBI TRK-0401. What do you guys think?
My former partner in LE has a teenage daughter. First date she had he was greeted at the door with dad wearing his .45. Come on in son and let's talk...... Just don't become a problem, because I truly believe all problems can be solved with just three things.... A shotgun, a shovel, and an alibi.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I've got a guest wifi with the SSID name "FBI Surveillance Van", that I turn on every once in a while. I figure it will keep the neighbors guessing.
Someone in my neighborhood has the same name for their wifi.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
My former partner in LE has a teenage daughter. First date she had he was greeted at the door with dad wearing his .45. Come on in son and let's talk...... Just don't become a problem, because I truly believe all problems can be solved with just three things.... A shotgun, a shovel, and an alibi.
My daughter's one BF. I told him if there is trouble. I will rip his head off his shoulders. Reach my hand down the hole where his head was. Grab his balls and turn his skinny ass inside out. Then use that thing that he calls a head for a bowling ball. After that. I will kick his dad's ass for raising an asshole. That relationship didn't last long thank god.

Last edited:

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Mine had one in it, and bought brand new with 11 miles. It was brought up when we were purchasing, finance guy got upset when I declined the protection plan, as the truck already has tracking via uConnect...
Sponsored