Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Unpopular opinion-- good riddance.

Diesel is 80s tech and the world is moving forward. I for one, welcome our new EV overlords. I'll be first in line for an EV gladiator, as I'm similarly eager to get rid of this crap 3.6l powerplant. It's 2022 and this powerplant is only good at reminding me what 2012 technology is like.

Edit-- I drove a JL diesel. I wasn't impressed. The weight distribution of the added boat anchor engine in the front made the whole thing feel like it would crash down to the bumpstops just leaving the driveway. I got 29-30 mpg on the highway. Big whoop. The engine wasn't clatterly like other diesels I've driven, but didn't make a noise that was pleasant nor indicative of power like a V8 might.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped

Diesel is 80s tech and the world is moving forward. I for one, welcome our new EV overlords. I'll be first in line for an EV gladiator, as I'm similarly eager to get rid of this crap 3.6l powerplant. It's 2022 and this powerplant is only good at reminding me what 2012 technology is like.

Edit-- I drove a JL diesel. I wasn't impressed. The weight distribution of the added boat anchor engine in the front made the whole thing feel like it would crash down to the bumpstops just leaving the driveway. I got 29-30 mpg on the highway. Big whoop. The engine wasn't clatterly like other diesels I've driven, but didn't make a noise that was pleasant nor indicative of power like a V8 might.
Agree with you the 3.6L is a POS but disagree on the ecodiesel. The extra torque is amazing day to day.

Stock the extra weight does bottom out the front suspension. I put a lift kit and 38's on mine and am getting 24mpg on the highway with plenty of power to burn the tires or accelerate up a mountain pass.

Realistically they should have put some additional engineering in this engine and added coolant capacity to it and bumped up the tow rating. EV's are not the future with current technology just a rich kids play toy. They are not sustainable and batteries are only going to last 5-8 years before they lose capacity and need repairs. They cannot be cost effectively recycled so they are basically spent fuel rods that go into a landfill. Environmental disaster.

diesel technology is only limited by regulations. Remove the regulations and they are extremely efficient and reliable.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester

diesels are 80’s tech yet every big rig, heavy machinery, and nearly all big construction equipment run on diesel….. hmm….
Batteries also require rare earth materials that are in shorter supply than oil.

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Let the market decide if it wants ice or ev. Right now it's ice. Ev only makes up a very small percentage of the market. We do not have the interstructor in place to handle even 4% of ev's now. We are decades away from supporting 25% of ev's.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes, inline 4 with turbo. Corporate is huge on it. The JL uses it, JT hasn't seen it, yet.
At the various JT launch press junkets, the Jeep engineers were pinged on why no 2.0 in the JT with the answer that they ran JT test mules with the 2.0 and it failed to keep cool at any reasonable tow rating it would be expected to perform and they dropped it from consideration then.

They did not expound if that was turbo and/or engine cooling but made it sound like a 2.0 turbo JT was nothing near term without significant further engineering development.

mojodcat

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTM
Occupation
IT Wizard
At the various JT launch press junkets, the Jeep engineers were pinged on why no 2.0 in the JT with the answer that they ran JT test mules with the 2.0 and it failed to keep cool at any reasonable tow rating it would be expected to perform and they dropped it from consideration then.

They did not expound if that was turbo and/or engine cooling but made it sound like a 2.0 turbo JT was nothing near term without significant further engineering development.
The manual gladiator and the 3.6JL auto have the same ~3500 rated towing..
The 2.0JL is ~2K and uses the same 850RE transmission.

Are there any EV "utility" vehicles for comparisons sake? The Rivian? While I can see an EV being practical for commuting, and short trip transport, if the battery ratings suffer significantly with a payload or while towing they might not yet be ready for prime time for replace of the light duty truck market.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
One article i read said they planned on continuing on in the jeep use cases. Part of me thinks they'll stick around a bit because of the international specs, many are diesel only at this point.
I noticed that I couldn't find any markets that still had the 2.2 Multijet. Many were 4xe only. Stellantis doesn't want to invest in bringing the Ecodiesel up to the next emissions standard (which GM did, giving us the LZ0)

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R

Are there any EV "utility" vehicles for comparisons sake? The Rivian? While I can see an EV being practical for commuting, and short trip transport, if the battery ratings suffer significantly with a payload or while towing they might not yet be ready for prime time for replace of the light duty truck market.
the GC 4xe is rated to pull 6k, and uses the 2.0T. Granted, it has a bigger radiator area, but they seem confident in that powertrain.

pmpmstrb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD, JLUWD

Not sure where I saw it, I'll post it when I can find it, but a guy pulled an open trailer with his track car on it with a Hyundai Santa Cruz and he had to stop every 100 miles to charge.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Hey man, I’m just quoting from the Jeep and Stellantis press release. Guess you could go tell them that they’re wrong?

If you want to believe what you read that they want you to see, go right ahead.

I've worked in both Kokomo, Indiana plants where they are dumping half a billion dollars on something that is NOT an EV.

Again, I'll follow the money thank you.

They have another 340 million going towards a new battery plant in Kokomo that hasn't broken ground yet. So, following the money, they put more faith in the ICE than the EV.

OP
OP
bleda2002

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Its not ICE or EV, its going to be ICE WITH EV as in a PHEV for at least the next decade. The 2.0 and the 3.0 i6 are the basis for their 4xe's going forward. They will have EV's too, but pretty sure stellantis expects the PHEV to be the real needle mover much like its doing in the wrangler.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
If you want to believe what you read that they want you to see, go right ahead.

I've worked in both Kokomo, Indiana plants where they are dumping half a billion dollars on something that is NOT an EV.

Again, I'll follow the money thank you.

They have another 340 million going towards a new battery plant in Kokomo that hasn't broken ground yet. So, following the money, they put more faith in the ICE than the EV.
Considering the vast majority of their product announcements have been EV, it will be interesting to see where the new engines find a home. But I don’t have insider information on the topic, and what you are suggesting makes far more sense from a sales and market demand perspective. The average American isn’t ready for the compromises associated with current EV tech, particularly as an only car.
Sponsored