Sponsored

Mopar OEM Tonneau Cover (leaking): Car wash?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee | Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Have a JT22 with a factory roll up tonneau cover. I’ve noticed that the back 1/2 - 1/4 quarter of the bed is wet after going through a automatic car wash. Is that normal or not?
Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
we have the trifold one from mopar and nothing I do stops the rear 1/3rd from leaking 🤕

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have a JT22 with a factory roll up tonneau cover. I’ve noticed that the back 1/2 - 1/4 quarter of the bed is wet after going through a automatic car wash. Is that normal or not?
I would never run a fabric roll up tonneau through a car wash brushes it is not going to last long if you do. Most convertible cars warn against doing that

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Mopar soft tri-fold before I put the Smartcap on. I never had any issues with it.

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I don’t think the seals are designed to hold to up to high pressure water.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
🤷‍♂️ I run my truck through the car wash a handful of times a year and never get a drop in the bed.

SuperUltraMan

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator Rubicon, JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Human Being
I’m curious if everyone is on the same page with the idea of it being the soft, roll-up, soft-top-material cover with no frame structure but with crossbars.
Yes, it’s normal to get water intrusion with high pressure spray, just like a soft top on your roof.
I don’t go through any car washes because I have the same OEM tonneau and the Sunrider soft top.
Otherwise, it stays dry in the bed.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar OEM Tonneau Cover (leaking): Car wash? CA283235-60FF-4977-BD63-815CC32CA182
Jeep Gladiator Mopar OEM Tonneau Cover (leaking): Car wash? 059806F7-DA61-4E1F-9692-651D2CE0FCB9

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Access Roll Up tonneau on mine. I've been using these on all of my trucks for the last 20 years. Arguably the best on the market yet always a small amount of seepage toward the rear of the bed when running through automatic wash. Can't completely seal these things no matter what.

About all you can do is try to seal around the tailgate openings and hope for the best. :fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Before I had the soft roll up cover I did have the hard trifold. That cover came with a piece of weatherstripping that a link below that I left on when I put on the rolling Tonnele cover. It goes on top of the top of truck bed nearest to the cabin.

TRIM-LOK - X103HT-25 Trim-Lok Ribbed Rectangle Rubber Seal – .375” Height, .625” Width, 25’ Length – EPDM Foam Rubber Seal with High Tack (HT) – Ideal Door and Window Weather Seal – Garage Doors, Cars, Boats https://a.co/d/fdt4juu

Maybe thats why mine doesn’t leak

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
Access Roll Up tonneau on mine. I've been using these on all of my trucks for the last 20 years. Arguably the best on the market yet always a small amount of seepage toward the rear of the bed when running through automatic wash. Can't completely seal these things no matter what.

About all you can do is try to seal around the tailgate openings and hope for the best. :fingerscrossed:
Mine does not leak like a screen door on a submarine, and I never use car washes. But it will get a little wet in the bed washing it or in a rain storm.
Sponsored