First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
I don’t think it’s “hating” as much as it is resentment that EVs are more or less going to be forced on us, regardless of viability. Meaning , in some of our larger population states, like California and New York, they are banning the sale of new ICE vehicles by 2030 or 2035, by more or less eliminating all choices other than EVs. Yep, a lot can change between now and then, but I don’t want to be forced to buy one if I want a new car. Would rather have options!

I can appreciate the technology and advancements that are made due to research and EVs, but could do without these mandates.

Precisely.

Hybrids are what makes the most sense for the general public. They don't require any more than existing infrastructure for starters. Specifically, EVs require distributed charging stations, massive upgrades to the electrical grids, and increase of power generation to compensate. That costs billions and billions more than anyone can estimate.

EV's really work well for buyers on the coasts and in bigger cities. Rural folks? Sorry. You're hosed as usual.
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I'm excited to see where it goes. Who knows...maybe in 20 years it'll be like the Jetsons lmao
I can tell you it's certainly a rush to take a 2022 Tesla Model X Plaid, at over 6,000lbs., and get up to 160mph in ½ mile!

Kevin

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Sometimes I wonder for all the people hating on EVs-- the pentastar is a gutless, recession era engine that makes torque at all the wrong times. There's nary a NA V6 on the market that makes me envious. Either give me a V8, or full electric. I am looking forward to trading my gladiator in for something with a modern engine/motor.
Jeep could not make an EV that would meet my needs from it. If they went all electric I would need to find another vehicle. I don't race my Gladiator so I am not concerned about the Pentastar being gutless or any massive acceleration from an EV version. Entirely irrelevant to me.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I'm excited to see where it goes. Who knows...maybe in 20 years it'll be like the Jetsons lmao
George Jetson and Jane Jetson's official ages are 40 and 33 respectively. Their oldest child Judy is 16, which would mean that Jane was around 16-17 when she was pregnant with her. The age difference means that George was 24 when he impregnated Jane.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
George Jetson and Jane Jetson's official ages are 40 and 33 respectively. Their oldest child Judy is 16, which would mean that Jane was around 16-17 when she was pregnant with her. The age difference means that George was 24 when he impregnated Jane.
George Jetson’s birthday was July 21, 2022.
So in the next 35-40 years perhaps everyone will have flying cars.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think it’s going to be called to the Jeep Surgé

pronounced Sir-Jay.

Joe_G

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Vette Conv., 03 Harley Heritage Springer
I for one wished they made a hybrid Gladiator like the Wrangler….my Gladiator is awesome but it sucks gas! I’d gotten used to my hybrid daily driver that my son took over.

TigerInFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Mojave
Occupation
Design & Sell Inground Pools
if you want an EV then great. if it wasn't for subsiding from the govt then most of the EV's wouldn't exist. sorry but I am not sitting there waiting an hour to fill up so i can go another 200 miles.

the real problem is the grid itself. many places are not going to be able to handle all these EV's and the power for you home is going to continue to go up and up. just wait till that goes down due to a natural disaster. yes I know they have back up generators but those take diesel fuel to run.

doesn't even count what it takes to produce the batteries and then you got to have a place for them when they end up dying over time. add in a vehicle fire and man that's a totally different animal. they ain't near as environmentally friendly as folks think.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2020 Ram 2500, 2013 JKU
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
if you want an EV then great. if it wasn't for subsiding from the govt then most of the EV's wouldn't exist. sorry but I am not sitting there waiting an hour to fill up so i can go another 200 miles.

the real problem is the grid itself. many places are not going to be able to handle all these EV's and the power for you home is going to continue to go up and up. just wait till that goes down due to a natural disaster. yes I know they have back up generators but those take diesel fuel to run.

doesn't even count what it takes to produce the batteries and then you got to have a place for them when they end up dying over time. add in a vehicle fire and man that's a totally different animal. they ain't near as environmentally friendly as folks think.
I completely agree with you concerning the power grids! Last winter, Texas shut down because Oncor couldn’t supply enough power. Everything froze! No power for 4 days. I HAD to go to work each day as I work at a hospital. I HAD to come home each day to make sure my animals were taken care of and not freezing. Houses are being built everywhere in the state, but don’t hear much about the grid being built up. Makes ya nervous…….

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Environmental issues like simply producing the raw materials for the batteries themselves and the highly toxic waste byproducts alone make it impractical and the earth will NEVER recover from that by moving to EVs vs. the combustion engine in hundreds of lifetimes.

Plus, even with relatively crappy fuel economy, we drive our vehicles for what? Typically one to two hours a day, putting out exhaust gasses and such?

Well, until we go to nuclear power (with it's own environmental waste issues for spent fuel) our electricity is pretty much all generated using fossil fuels...coal, oil, natural gas, etc. Yeah a few areas are hydroelectric but, for the most part, fossil fuels generate our electricity.

So, that means that those electric plants are running 24/7/365 (366 in leap years :LOL: ) spewing more pollutants every second of every day than we do driving our cars using gasoline or diesel.

I say we go back to the horse and buggy. Wait...horse farts are also greenhouse gasses so they'll probably get regulated too :LOL::LOL::LOL:

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
And the fact that charging an EV takes electricity. The last time I checked, much of that electric power is generated by coal burning power plants.

Hmmm. Now I'm kind of confused. 😕

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Didn't Mopar (or whatever you call them) buy the patent to the BMW extended range EV system? The one that is backed up by the diesel generator that runs all the time charging the battery?
I hope that rumor turns out to be true ...

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74

TigerInFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Mojave
Occupation
Design & Sell Inground Pools

I've heard that Judy Jetson is running an Only Fans website these days.
Sponsored