Steering binding in 4lo

Olecoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Occupation
Sys Admin
2022 Gladiator Willys. 3.5" lift, 5:13 gears, F&R ARB's, Patagonia 37's.
Went wheeling at Wolf Caves today, started off good, then after an hour or so the steering began binding up really bad in 4lo. frt locked or unlocked. Steering radius was almost nil, and if felt almost like it was pushing back when I would try to turn. a 2 pt turn turned into a 10pt+ turn just trying to wiggle it around a obstacle. The terrain at Wolf Caves is dirt \ sand and a lot of granite. Traction there is unreal. Now I know that the steering will bind on hard surfaces etc, but this was mostly lose dirt \ sand on top of rocks so there was plenty of slippage available. I have several trips planned this coming year including a trip to Moab and this rig is unwheelable as it is.

Had anyone here experienced anything like this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you push it, the tires should slip. It won't hurt the truck, but it should not stop you. Even on pavement. Especially in 4L, the engine should be able to push through the binding and force the tires to slip.

If it was actually binding, then you had excellent traction and didn't even need 4wd.

This is why I love my SelecTrac so much. I just throw it in 4H-Auto and go. It just goes, stops, and turns. If it gets slick, I put it in 4H. But most of the time I just use 4H-Auto.

I'm amazed most people don't get it. For ~$500 it's a steal.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I know a failing u-joint in the front axle will cause something similar to what you described, especially if you have oversized tires. Maybe the increased torque of the higher gear ratio cause one to fail? I have one that "clinks" when I engage 4wd, so I am keeping an eye on it so it doesn't cause similar issues like you describe.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know a failing u-joint in the front axle will cause something similar to what you described, especially if you have oversized tires. Maybe the increased torque of the higher gear ratio cause one to fail? I have one that "clinks" when I engage 4wd, so I am keeping an eye on it so it doesn't cause similar issues like you describe.
That' a great point.

I of course glazed right past the part where the OP said:

2022 Gladiator Willys. 3.5" lift, 5:13 gears, F&R ARB's

So it's not his first rodeo. He knows what it feels like when the tires start to hop.

OP
OP
Olecoot

Olecoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Occupation
Sys Admin
Good point. One of the first things I checked. Pretty much its 1st time on the rocks. I've popped ujoints and hubs on previous rigs, I was trying to be careful and wheel easy till I get more seat time in this one. I'll put it up on jack stands tomorrow and start going over it in depth.

Sponsored

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
What size tires? Maybe the stock power steering is unable to handle the bigger aired-down tires?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you push it, the tires should slip. It won't hurt the truck, but it should not stop you. Even on pavement. Especially in 4L, the engine should be able to push through the binding and force the tires to slip.

If it was actually binding, then you had excellent traction and didn't even need 4wd.

This is why I love my SelecTrac so much. I just throw it in 4H-Auto and go. It just goes, stops, and turns. If it gets slick, I put it in 4H. But most of the time I just use 4H-Auto.

I'm amazed most people don't get it. For ~$500 it's a steal.
If you are on dry pavement with wheels turned, you'll break something before wide, meaty tires slip. That's a heck of a lot of force and a turned standard u-joint can't handle the torque like it can straight. The grip of tires on pavement - I've seen guys bust axles because tires grip. No, it won't "push through and force the tire to slip", especially with a joint at an angle.
That's especially true with lower pressure and rocks pushing into the tires.

OP
OP
Olecoot

Olecoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Occupation
Sys Admin
What size tires? Maybe the stock power steering is unable to handle the bigger aired-down tires?
37 Patagonias. Thats what I'm wondering. But I know there are beaucoup people who have done the same upgrades. Curious if this is unique to my rig.

MoxiesDad

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2014 Jeep Patriot
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
I'm questioning the power steering because you said the day started off good. It was only after awhile that you noticed a problem.

Jab1719

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Occupation
Tax Manager
You mentioned 4Lo, what happened when you got off the trail and was back in 2H? Could you turn? I definitely had this issue when I blew my power steering pump but it obviously continued in 2H.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Olecoot

Olecoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Occupation
Sys Admin
You mentioned 4Lo, what happened when you got off the trail and was back in 2H? Could you turn? I definitely had this issue when I blew my power steering pump but it obviously continued in 2H.
2 Hi everything is fine. drives like a champ.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Diesel, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Eng.
Are you sure you did not have front lockers on? Lockers will make your steering extremely hard if you have a good traction. 4L shouldn't cause it.

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Bright White
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
2022 Gladiator Willys. 3.5" lift, 5:13 gears, F&R ARB's, Patagonia 37's.
Went wheeling at Wolf Caves today, started off good, then after an hour or so the steering began binding up really bad in 4lo. frt locked or unlocked. Steering radius was almost nil, and if felt almost like it was pushing back when I would try to turn. a 2 pt turn turned into a 10pt+ turn just trying to wiggle it around a obstacle. The terrain at Wolf Caves is dirt \ sand and a lot of granite. Traction there is unreal. Now I know that the steering will bind on hard surfaces etc, but this was mostly lose dirt \ sand on top of rocks so there was plenty of slippage available. I have several trips planned this coming year including a trip to Moab and this rig is unwheelable as it is.

Had anyone here experienced anything like this?
Did you ever figure out the issue? I have the EXACT same issue yesterday.
2022 Gladiator Sport S, 3.5" lift, 5.13 gears, F&R Eaton's, Maxxis Razr 37's.
Went wheeling at Uwharrie, day started off real good, then an hour, maybe two, same steering issues. Same symptoms you describe. 2WD fine, 4WD Hi or Lo binding.

OP
OP
Olecoot

Olecoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys
Occupation
Sys Admin
Best I can figure is the stock steering pump cannot keep up with the lower gears bigger tires. I havent been wheeling again since this happened. Im saving up for the PSC ram assist kit now.

Im sure this has happened to others, just haven't heard of it till mine & now yours.

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
I have also 37’s and experience something similar when stopped or barely moving, especially when aired down, like not having power steering. I haven’t done anything to address it as I see it as a safety margin to keep from breaking anything, but it is a PITA.

Before going full PSC, you should look at the Apex upgrade. It adds boost to the stock power steering. (https://www.apexdesignsusa.com/products/1-1-steering-boost-kit-jl-jt-compatible)
Sponsored