Sponsored

Trade Nissan Titan for used 2021 Gladiator Diesel?

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Hi guys--Stressing about this situation. I've had a 2020 Titan Pro4x from new. It has 12K on it and not one issue has come up. A local dealer took a 2021 Gladiator EcoDiesel in on trade. It has 8k miles. I love the color and options and they are giving me a decent amount on trade. The dealership has had it for 3 months and just wants it off the lot. It has had 2 owners and 1 oil change according to Carfax. I'm looking to pull a small 16' travel trailer that I recently repaired. The trailer tongue weight is 410 and the empty weight is 2600lbs. I'll probably use the trailer to travel west twice a year. The payload on the Rubicon is just under 1000 lbs. I'll travel alone and won't have much with me so it shouldn't be an issue staying below that. The stories regarding overheating and mechanical issues have me second guessing this plan. I had a manual JK 2 door with a 3.6 that I really miss and that's what set me down this path. Do you guys think that there would be an issue pulling the attached trailer up a grade? The Nissan is basically bulletproof, but it absolutely lacks the character and the fun factor of the Jeep.....Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 2.33.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 2.32.52 PM.png
Sponsored

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
A 2021 with 8K miles, one oil change and 2 owners? My gut says keep the Titan. I believe the universe is telling you something since you are second guessing it. Just my opinion.

OP
OP

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Yeah--The two owner thing with the last one just keeping it for 6 months is a little confusing. The Jeep is absolutely spotless though. It doesn't look beat on at all. I misspoke--The first oil change was at 4K and the dealership currently selling it did an oil change in October before putting it on their lot.

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
warranty doesn't transfer after the second owner

I wouldn't do it for that reason alone

OP
OP

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan

Thank you--That I was not aware of. I was banking on having 3 years of powertrain warranty left. Without that, it is a definite no.........

Sponsored

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Would not do it. Hands down no. Not that gladiator the dealer has…..now if you want to go buy your self a new Gladiator with good towing and payload and want to pull that Basecamp…….:rock: My Sport S Max tow has tongue of 765, tow of 7650 and payload of about 1400 on the door and I love it! Think of taking that basecamp up into the woods, top off doors off and truly enjoying the outdoors….

OP
OP

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Would not do it. Hands down no. Not that gladiator the dealer has…..now if you want to go buy your self a new Gladiator with good towing and payload and want to pull that Basecamp…….:rock: My Sport S Max tow has tongue of 765, tow of 7650 and payload of about 1400 on the door and I love it! Think of taking that basecamp up into the woods, top off doors off and truly enjoying the outdoors….
I'm definitely looking into that option!

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I'm definitely looking into that option!
The diesel is not for everyone. I own one love mine, but there are pros and cons to both engines.

I’ll try to summarize it as best I can before the fanboys for others chime in and I am generalizing - more like topics to do your own research on.

Diesel pros:

MPGs
Range (comes into play with next line item)
Can get away with 37’s, no regear
Power
Usable torque
Ease of towing

Diesel Cons:

Diesel is expensive
Reduced payload and towing
CP4 recall - no real fix as of right now
Potential to be nerfed by ECU if towing in the heat, if oil temps rise about 265 degrees and you’ll be stuck in a limp mode

3.6 V6 Pros:

Higher payload numbers - when properly equipped
Higher tow raiting - when properly equipped
Can go max tow package (if foot fetishes are your thing, I guess)
Parts more available than for relatively new 3.0 diesel

Cons:

MPG and range - more evident with mods
With 4.10’s most don’t recommend going higher than a 35 without a regear
Power band is very high, towing up hill you’ll likely be near the top end of the rpm range consistently (won’t really hurt anything more like just know it’ll be loud and sound like it’s going to die)
3.6 has also has been at times been known to have misfire issues
Less low end torque

Overall, both good choices, the Jeep is a compromise of most things to be pretty practical while still being best off road truck on the market - you’ll just need to figure out your own pros and cons then come up with a game plan.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Where is that written about no transfer after the second owner for the warranty? Warranty booklets for both the gas and diesel do not address this.

MALLCRAWLER

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator
Where is that written about no transfer after the second owner for the warranty? Warranty booklets for both the gas and diesel do not address this.

I asked the jeep dealer when looking at a used 2022 gladiator two weeks ago. I ended up buying a new one for the same price, from a different dealer regardless. If you have proof otherwise, please share it. It would be good news to hear.

https://www.jeep.com/warranty.html

CAN I TRANSFER A VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?
Even if you have a transferable limited warranty, it’s likely that there are some restrictions on transfers. The FCA new vehicle limited warranty stays with the vehicle and is transferable to the second owner. If you have purchased an extended warranty, it may have further restrictions on transferability.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If you have proof otherwise, please share it.
That is not how it works. You made the claim. I just stated the warranty booklet does not address the issue either way and that is factual.

Only thing I found was language on the Jeep website that the warranty transfers to a second owner. It is nebulous language that does not necessarily preclude warranty going to third and subsequent vehicle owners. I would think the warranty booklet has higher standing contractually.

https://www.jeep.com/warranty.html

CAN I TRANSFER A VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY?
Even if you have a transferable limited warranty, it’s likely that there are some restrictions on transfers. The FCA new vehicle limited warranty stays with the vehicle and is transferable to the second owner. If you have purchased an extended warranty, it may have further restrictions on transferability.

svc707

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Being that i know exactly what youre going through as i have a 2019 Titan XD Cummins diesel, last of its kind. I went back and forth to get rid of the titan, but it has many uses that i wont put the gladiator through. I have both still and if your finances can handle it dont get rid of the titan if your goal is towing too.

927C0BF0-2B67-4440-8BD6-6E0CD4766656.jpeg

OP
OP

916WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Titan
Being that i know exactly what youre going through as i have a 2019 Titan XD Cummins diesel, last of its kind. I went back and forth to get rid of the titan, but it has many uses that i wont put the gladiator through. I have both still and if your finances can handle it dont get rid of the titan if your goal is towing too.

Jeep Gladiator Trade Nissan Titan for used 2021 Gladiator Diesel? 927C0BF0-2B67-4440-8BD6-6E0CD4766656
I would say that that is a rare one!! An XD Cummins Pro4X is definitely not your typical Titan! The 2020 that I have was the only year you could get the refresh(if you want to call it that) with both the Pro4X package with the extended cab/long bed. Love the truck but unfortunately keeping both isn't an option. The gladiator that I'm looking at is the same color as yours. Love that color. On the road for work now--when I get back into town, I'll find out if the warranty is active or not and go take another look at it if still under warranty. Also considering gas powered models There's a ton of new 3.6 2022 Rubicons/Mojaves back home and they're heavily discounted......
Sponsored