Sponsored

Is dealership conning me on lift kit installation?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They could easily all be in the same labor range...that's fine. It's the timeframe they are quoting to do the install that is excessive. it's like they want you to pay for the total time the Jeep is at the dealer even if it's sitting in the lot.

Labor rate in my area, last time I checked 6 months ago, was 220-250 believe it or not..... I can see 4 hours to install and align. Not 7+ thats insane..... The MOPAR lift is SUPER simple compared to others. A place I chatted with about the AEV lift, which is slightly more of a deal, quoted something like 6 hours to install.... no way I can fathom 7+ hours for a MOPAR lift.
4 shocks, 4 springs, front lower control arms.
What's there to it?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I would think that Mopar has a set amount of hours that they allocate for such installations, like they do for all other shop work.
Yes, because it's a MOPAR part - likely a flat rate for it.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I should have been clearer, no this guy told me the install would be 6+ hrs. That's why I wanted some feedback because I wasn't even going to get it done right now if that's accurate. Someone said 3 hrs which is more what I expected. Maybe he simply didn't know what the hell he was talking about.
Run away.

TSouchet

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Law enforcement
I got different quotes from several dealerships. Some were extremely high quoting 4-8 hrs labor. Finally found a dealership for $875 plus tax including wheel alignment.

Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I'm going to have the dealership put on a Mopar 2" lift kit to preserve my extended warranty but the service tech told me they would need at least 6-7 hrs. This is higher than I have heard but since I haven't had one done before I don't know how acceptable this is. Bad enough when it was $100/hr now it's $170! Obviously I'm not excited to pay that kind of labor, what have those of you with similar lifts found to be the norm?
Mine took about five hours.. After install they put it back down and drive it, align then retorque. After 500 miles they should retorque or you can do it. I did.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone who's done that once or twice should be able to do it in two hours, including opening packages and tidying up.
With my age and a bit of extra weight, it adds an hour for me, but it's not that big a deal, really.
I did my 2020, then had to undo it when I traded, then did my 2022, and will end up with different springs under the front, soon. (they arrived Saturday)
So I guess that counts as 4 times in 3 years.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
You know, I just realized something.
When I bought mine it was sold with 1650 miles on it, with the remaining factory warranty.
The previous owner had installed the 2"AEV lift. Being brand new to the Jeep world, I had no idea that the truck had been lifted.
So I'm thinking that since the dealer made no mention of the lift being an issue, and they sold the truck with the lift installed, AND the paperwork states that the remainder of the factory warranty was included, they're not going to have much room to squirm their way into denying a claim based on lift.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
With a lift and tools ready nearby like the dealer, it can be done in 3hrs.

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator, 95 Toyota DLX, 69 VW Beetle,
shop the price for install no different than shopping price for new jeep make em earn your business

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
shop the price for install no different than shopping price for new jeep make em earn your business
Oh, if it were so simple.
It's going to depend on the shop and the location. The shops these days are so busy they don't give a rip and I talked with staff at a local dealership who literally said "we don't care, in fact we send a lot of accessory stuff to another business as it's not worth our while".
And when asking about swapping springs and shocks a couple of years ago - they deliberately priced it so high they were guaranteed to make money on it - but were hoping I'd walk away.
That one is now 3 weeks out on stuff. Accessories - they won't even mess with them. Want different wheels on your brand new jeep when it comes in? Pick it up and take it to a tire store - we don't do that, we're too busy with technical stuff.
Yeah, I was even told that this week when asking about some stuff for my wife's new Jeep that we had bought there - we'll get it done for you, but we don't do it as our staff is too busy for stuff anyone can do.

For lifts and accessories, some shops don 't want the work - and it's possible that's what's being seen here - they just don't want that sort of work. it's quick-lube guy type of work while their technicians get paid bigger money for technical things.

You are asking a $200/hour shop with trained techs to swap out springs and shocks - some shops just don't want that work. And they'll price accordingly..
Heck, I do the same for my own shop - I price myself so high that only really serious people looking for best in the country restoration work will contact me. I don't want the whiners or low-ballers looking for a cheap quick fix on something when they'll moan and groan about the price and want stuff thrown in.
My customers send me work then tell me "just send me the bill when you are done or - would you like paid now up front?
And no one quibbles or moans. And those who do want extra stuff done - they not only pay, but they send me extra for the effort.
I charge more than the only other person in the country that does similar work and I still see comments from customers telling others "and his prices are more than reasonable".

So, maybe that shop is weeding out work they just don't want. And if you still bring it in - now they'll make money to off-set the higher paying work they could be doing.

My wife has weeded out whiners and gripers and "gee, that's a lot, isn't it" types by pricing up high. She gets only the work and customers she wants for her long-arm quilting.

The more I think about this one - the more I wonder if they are busy and just don't want the work, but if you insist, you are gonna pay.
That's how it is for the dealership I have been working with lately. And I was told as much.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S. Max Tow.
Vehicle Showcase
If Mopar says 3 hours, then the "professionals" at the dealership should be able to do it quicker.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If Mopar says 3 hours, then the "professionals" at the dealership should be able to do it quicker.
And they will charge the 3 hours.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Heck, I do the same for my own shop - I price myself so high that only really serious people looking for best in the country restoration work will contact me. I don't want the whiners or low-ballers looking for a cheap quick fix on something when they'll moan and groan about the price and want stuff thrown in.
I used to think I'd fix laptops, pc's, phones, etc. on the side when starting in the IT world years ago. I now quote prices so high that I haven't had side work in like 6 years. It is a thing of beauty and a nice way to say "I don't want to do this". I didn't even consider that for the shop OP is discussing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
On second thought, don't bring it here....... I just swapped out my front marker lights with the DiodeDynamics clear front marker lights. That T30 screw that holds the light in? Mine vanished into thin air. I mean, it was there, I unscrewed it to take the light out, grabbed the new light, looked up and the screw was GONE. Now wait - no one touched that truck, the cats are in the house so can't blame Lucky (she steals things then laughs at you as she's running). You'd think ok, it fell down, right? It's GONE.
So I'd be afraid of springs or other parts just vanishing with no explanation.
Sponsored