Sponsored

Is dealership conning me on lift kit installation?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
out of curiosity - and for a bit more data - I called a well known shop in my area and asked about costs and time for the AEV lift install since I'm still leaning that direction. It was estimated about 10 hours and 5K to do it all right. They are one of the best off road shops within 150 miles and I have had them fix things on my OBS before, they do great work. Of course that comes at a higher cost. I think their labor is 230/hr.

A bit shocked. I had expected the AEV to be more like 3500-4K. But they could have been quoting the one with the remote reservoir shocks as well which is something like 2200 bucks more.

So, for what it's worth...

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
out of curiosity - and for a bit more data - I called a well known shop in my area and asked about costs and time for the AEV lift install since I'm still leaning that direction. It was estimated about 10 hours and 5K to do it all right. They are one of the best off road shops within 150 miles and I have had them fix things on my OBS before, they do great work. Of course that comes at a higher cost. I think their labor is 230/hr.

A bit shocked. I had expected the AEV to be more like 3500-4K. But they could have been quoting the one with the remote reservoir shocks as well which is something like 2200 bucks more.

So, for what it's worth...
Imo. Best offroad shop isn't required to install a lift kit. Just need shop that understand a little about suspension.

Just like we don't need a race shop to install CAI.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Imo. Best offroad shop isn't required to install a lift kit. Just need shop that understand a little about suspension.
They are swapping parts. The most they need to know how to do is basic alignment, and when to torque suspension fasteners, and how to torque them.
When it's a lift kit - there's not even any parts choosing and matching to do. Install the kit.
Torque properly, check toe, center the wheel. (if adjustable control arms, etc. check/set caster)
Any shop that does alignments or any suspension work can do it.

Just like we don't need a race shop to install CAI.
LOL - no kidding because they aren't even performance parts these days. The are to make noise or impress or give the owner a good feeling.
Even if you race your truck, they ain't gonna do anything by themselves.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Yeah based on some of the sub-par work I have seen these days I wouldn't trust just some 'parts swapper' to do anything on my vehicle. I'd rather do it myself than take it to a place with questionable people with unknown skills. Not a lot of options in the area I live in.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
But really I was trying to provide another data point for the OP

AlpineChip

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Received two quotes for install... each was at $650 but, one includes the alignment and the other wants an additional $300 for such. I can wait an extra week to save the $300!

TwoSerious

First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Telecommunications Systems Technician
Dealer quoted me around 1200 for labor. 400 of that was for an alignment. Ended up taking it to a private shop and got it down for around 600 I believe.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
$300 for alignment when all they can do is set toe? They can only set caster if you have adjustable control arms installed with the lift (or brackets that allow caster to be changed)
Otherwise, all they can do is set it up on the rack, take readings, set toe and send you on your way. Wow. I need to get myself some alignment equipment! I could make $300/hour!

Sponsored

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I'm going to have the dealership put on a Mopar 2" lift kit to preserve my extended warranty but the service tech told me they would need at least 6-7 hrs. This is higher than I have heard but since I haven't had one done before I don't know how acceptable this is. Bad enough when it was $100/hr now it's $170! Obviously I'm not excited to pay that kind of labor, what have those of you with similar lifts found to be the norm?
That’s about right unless you do it yourself.
Remember the recommended time or expected time to complete has variables that the dealership cannot account for, such as outlier issues that arise. Considering most shops are quite busy they must plan time for said variables. Gone are the days of charging for a minimum expected time of completion.
Two years ago that price was half for installation, but inflation has seriously impacted operational costs.

JamesJimmyD

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Gladiator, 95 Toyota DLX, 69 VW Beetle,
Oh, if it were so simple.
It's going to depend on the shop and the location. The shops these days are so busy they don't give a rip and I talked with staff at a local dealership who literally said "we don't care, in fact we send a lot of accessory stuff to another business as it's not worth our while".
And when asking about swapping springs and shocks a couple of years ago - they deliberately priced it so high they were guaranteed to make money on it - but were hoping I'd walk away.
That one is now 3 weeks out on stuff. Accessories - they won't even mess with them. Want different wheels on your brand new jeep when it comes in? Pick it up and take it to a tire store - we don't do that, we're too busy with technical stuff.
Yeah, I was even told that this week when asking about some stuff for my wife's new Jeep that we had bought there - we'll get it done for you, but we don't do it as our staff is too busy for stuff anyone can do.

For lifts and accessories, some shops don 't want the work - and it's possible that's what's being seen here - they just don't want that sort of work. it's quick-lube guy type of work while their technicians get paid bigger money for technical things.

You are asking a $200/hour shop with trained techs to swap out springs and shocks - some shops just don't want that work. And they'll price accordingly..
Heck, I do the same for my own shop - I price myself so high that only really serious people looking for best in the country restoration work will contact me. I don't want the whiners or low-ballers looking for a cheap quick fix on something when they'll moan and groan about the price and want stuff thrown in.
My customers send me work then tell me "just send me the bill when you are done or - would you like paid now up front?
And no one quibbles or moans. And those who do want extra stuff done - they not only pay, but they send me extra for the effort.
I charge more than the only other person in the country that does similar work and I still see comments from customers telling others "and his prices are more than reasonable".

So, maybe that shop is weeding out work they just don't want. And if you still bring it in - now they'll make money to off-set the higher paying work they could be doing.

My wife has weeded out whiners and gripers and "gee, that's a lot, isn't it" types by pricing up high. She gets only the work and customers she wants for her long-arm quilting.

The more I think about this one - the more I wonder if they are busy and just don't want the work, but if you insist, you are gonna pay.
That's how it is for the dealership I have been working with lately. And I was told as much.
im willing to bet its geographic, where i live there are so many dealerships within a 100 mile radius not to mention the abundance of 4x4 shops that prices range widely, most will be happy to negotiate to earn your business, it all falls back to the old supply and demand spectrum and most dealerships look at the possibility of a new customer for more business by doing these add on's, myself as a consumer will research and seek out what i deem is fair for the product and labor that i will be spending my hard earned money, personally if a company projects the image of "i dont need your business" i will never spend money with them and tell people of the negative experience

HenryG

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired
I have no doubt whatsoever! you can probably cut that in half. can get spine surgery in that time. I wish that was an option, I hate having to go through these assholes but I don't want any warranty headaches.
Last time is was in our dealership labor was $125 an hour. As far as warranty goes this country has right to repair laws. Jeep does not warranty parts added after sale but all parts that came with the jeep from the factory are under warranty by jeep regardless.