OP
OP
Jeep_VB

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Toyo AT IIs, 285/75/18, I have owned a JK and JKU, I really prefer a 285 width over 315, I have run both, the 285/75/18s are actually taller than most 35s. Toyos as I have had 3 sets, they wear very well and take very little weight to balance, also made in the US.
I really like Toyo as well I'm just looking for a 37 and a lower weight. The truck is going to be my daily driver so trying to have a good balance of what it's going to be used for.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I really like Toyo as well I'm just looking for a 37 and a lower weight. The truck is going to be my daily driver so trying to have a good balance of what it's going to be used for.
Any concerns with the effective gearing going with 37s? I assume you are getting a Rubicon or Sport with max two to get the bigger axles and 4.10 gears, I plan on towing a bit with mine, nothing too heavy probably close to 4k so the 285/75/18s are biggest I want to go.

OP
OP
Jeep_VB

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Any concerns with the effective gearing going with 37s? I assume you are getting a Rubicon or Sport with max two to get the bigger axles and 4.10 gears, I plan on towing a bit with mine, nothing too heavy probably close to 4k so the 285/75/18s are biggest I want to go.
I'm not concerned about gearing with the BFG KO2 37's, once I get them if I feel like I need it I will. My last Jeep I had 35x12.50R18 Toyo OpenCountry R/T they actually weigh 7.5lbs more per tire than the BFG (37x12.5R17. Of course you have to look at the size of the tire as well. There is some concern here but I don't think it will be a huge problem the BFG's are actually only around 36.5 not 37 so i'm hoping that them being less weight but a little taller may cancel out some of the difference. Will let you know once I get the JT but I"M waiting on the late availability colors so just trying to come up with my build while I wait.

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I’m nitto trail grapplers right now, but they suck in the snow. They have worn really well and are tough as nails! I’m switching to Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 37/12.5x17 in a load D.

Should be a solid tire!
How are the Trail Grapplers in the rain?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I want 35s and towing is a big deal. 5000 pound pop up with 42 gallons of water. It’s not all that stable. Am I shopping for stuff sidewalls? What would offer the best stability?

Thanks

Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm only about 8k into my Duratracs but I have nothing bad to say about them yet. My Nitto Terra Grapplers ran out of tread at 45k so I'm not sure I'd go back to Nitto (unless their rubber is different now.)

I will either go Duratrac or KO2 as an instant upgrade when I pick up my truck. As long as the backspacing allows 285s without a spacer (on a Max Tow Sport S) then I'll just stay stock for the time being. If their backspacing is still like 6.5" or whatever it was for JK then I will be looking for alternatives.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I just picked up 4 Duratracs 315/70/17's for $744. I have just over 60,000 on the set I am running now. For me they road great. They where quiet on the road till about 5,000 miles ago. They have a good hum to them now.

They where great on snow, rain, and mud. I never did any time on the rocks with them.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Depending on my plans for the JT I will either run some KO2's or KM3's. I have always had great results with BFGoodrich tires so that is generally what I run on all my vehicles. Not sure on size but it will either be 35's or 37's but knowing myself I will probably stick to 35's like I have in the past.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Early on I was taught to buy the tire not the brand, meaning tire companies make the same tire under more than one name, and the 'generic' is same tire much cheaper. So I've been running big-o tires with full replacement. They clear the mud and snow best and can handle highway and off road. I think they are Cooper.

I'm really tempted to go old school this time. Straight up WWII original Jeep tires. Any idea if they are driveable?

Edit: I looked up the non directional tread tires (NDT). Some say it is so you can't tell which way the vehicle is traveling, others there was the rubber shortage so they minimized tread. Warnings about durability and wet smooth conditions. They still have a tube apparently, not sure if that is safer. Hard to balance but good when right. But the buyers comments were pretty good and very satisfied. I wouls go 32 by 8 ish on 20" rims. The modern military ones are more like what's available, worries about road noise. As for the originals, might just try em!

Last edited:

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
I had Nitto Trail Grapplers, they were ok until the end then they got LOUD. I have KO2s now their a lot quieter and have some good qualities but they pick up every damn small pebble I run over. I'm not sure on this truck. I probably won't go over 35s, need to tow about 7k occasionally.
Sponsored