Should the Scrambler lineup inlcude:

• Total voters

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Since you bumped this I read this earlier in the day and while its not mid-size it gives good info on take rates for the configurations:

https://www.hdrams.com/2019/01/11/dealer-info-sheds-light-on-ram-heavy-duty-lineup/

Some key takeaways:

Ram also released production projections for both the 2019 Ram 2500 and 3500 as well. Ram is predicting a take of 35% of the trucks ordered of the 2019 Ram 2500 (DJ) models will be either a higher end Laramie Longhorn or Limited model. The Big Horn/Lone Star models will be the second most popular trim level according to Ram projections with 28% of the 2500 volume. Laramie is close behind with a projected take of 25%. The entry-level Tradesman models are projected to be 7% of the production volume ordered, with the mighty Power Wagon is predicted to only be 5% of the volume.
2500 Cab Config

As for the cab configurations, we have stated before there will be three cabs to chose from, Regular Cab, Crew Cab and Mega Cab. Projections show that 80% of production volume will be of the Crew Cab configuration for the 2500, while Regular Cabs will only make up 2%.
For some reason, the 3500 has a much bigger take rate on the entry-level model. Probably because to get the High Output Cummins you have to get the 3500 over the 2500 and people that are using them for work are wanting that motor.

Trim level take for the 3500 models projections are vastly different than the 2500 (DJ) models. Ram is predicting that the Laramie trim level will be the most popular with 29% of the production volume. The entry level Tradesman isn’t far behind in the production volume projections with 28%. Big Horn/Lone Star models will make up roughly 25% of total number of 3500 models and 18% will consist of the Laramie Longhorn and Limited premium trucks, according to Ram.
3500 Cab Config

While 95% of 3500 production is expected to come with a 4Ă—4 drivetrain, Ram is predicting that 80% of the new 2019 Ram 3500 models will be in the Crew Cab configuration. Intakes of Mega Cab will 15%, while Regular Cab will only make up 5% of the production for the 3500.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/...talwart-mid-sizer-offers-lots-of-choices.html
This is a feature article right now on Pickuptrucks.com - it speaks to the core attribute of the Tacoma - the number of variants offered - hopefully Jeep can do the same with the Gladiator!
Also the first line of that article says:

One of the most impressive aspects of the current-generation Toyota Tacoma is how many different variations it offers. Although Toyota decided to kill the regular-cab model several years ago for volume reasons, the Tacoma still offers two wheelbases, two engine choices, two bed lengths (dependent on wheelbase and cab), two cab sizes, three TRD packages (out of six total trim levels) and two drivetrains.
That's not helping your argument for a 2-door.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Waiting for the gladiator focused version of that article

ytjt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
I am hoping for a future extended cab.

The reason has little to do with the number of doors.

It is mainly because I need a longer bed. I could maybe accept a 4 door if they had a longer bed option.

I believe there is zero chance that JEEP will ever offer that. They aren't going to go lengthen the frame and modify driveline to offer two different 4 door models.
There is, in my opinion, a chance they could retain the frame and driveline, decrease the cab and add some bed length.

As far as I've experienced, all the commercials showing 5' bed compact trucks hauling all the "lifestyle" toys are fairly optimistic and almost false advertising. Yep, try to take off for a weekend with two dirtbikes and gear, when you can't even close the tailgate hauling a mountain bike.

Yes, you can tell me to just get a full size and I probably will have to.
However, a midsize with a minimum 6' bed and decent diesel would be perfect for my needs, so I will hope for one.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Also the first line of that article says:

That's not helping your argument for a 2-door.
I am not interested in the two door for my particular lifestyle needs. I support and hope that Jeep builds an extended cab Gladiator as shown with the original 2005 concept that started the modern-era Jeep pickup movement. Although I do support those who prefer a two cab configuration - I personally want and would definitely purchase an extended cab when its offered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am hoping for a future extended cab.

The reason has little to do with the number of doors.

It is mainly because I need a longer bed. I could maybe accept a 4 door if they had a longer bed option.

I believe there is zero chance that JEEP will ever offer that. They aren't going to go lengthen the frame and modify driveline to offer two different 4 door models.
There is, in my opinion, a chance they could retain the frame and driveline, decrease the cab and add some bed length.

As far as I've experienced, all the commercials showing 5' bed compact trucks hauling all the "lifestyle" toys are fairly optimistic and almost false advertising. Yep, try to take off for a weekend with two dirtbikes and gear, when you can't even close the tailgate hauling a mountain bike.

Yes, you can tell me to just get a full size and I probably will have to.
However, a midsize with a minimum 6' bed and decent diesel would be perfect for my needs, so I will hope for one.
AMEN!!!

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since you bumped this I read this earlier in the day and while its not mid-size it gives good info on take rates for the configurations:

https://www.hdrams.com/2019/01/11/dealer-info-sheds-light-on-ram-heavy-duty-lineup/

Some key takeaways:

2500 Cab Config

For some reason, the 3500 has a much bigger take rate on the entry-level model. Probably because to get the High Output Cummins you have to get the 3500 over the 2500 and people that are using them for work are wanting that motor.

3500 Cab Config
Heavy duty truck sales - particularly diesel models are a completely different animal due to the towing capability as they are most often used for towing rv's such as fifth wheels. My brother owns a 3500 Ram Limited with a Cummins (gorgeous truck BTW) and he purchased it for his 14,000 lb. fifth wheel. In this instance the crew cab makes sense as people use these configurations to bring their kids, pets etc. and the crew cab is really needed. The lighter 1/2 tons and mid-sizes though are more varied and buyers needs are broad. I use the longer bed in quad cab Ram 1500 Laramie all the time.

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
FCA: Hey 2 door Gladiator people we didn't forget you.

2 door Gladiator people: YES! YES!

*FCA reveals Dakota*

2 door Gladiator people: *bursts into laughter*

FCA: What's so funny?

2 door Gladiator people: Does the doors come off?

FCA: No

2 door Gladiator people: Does the windshield fold down?

2 door Gladiator people: Does it have any of the cool Wrangler family specific options?

2 door Gladiator people: *laughs and walks away* It's not for us then. We aren't stupid.

FCA: See no one buys extended cabs anymore.

This is all a joke. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA: Hey 2 door Gladiator people we didn't forget you.

2 door Gladiator people: YES! YES!

*FCA reveals Dakota*

2 door Gladiator people: *bursts into laughter*

FCA: What's so funny?

2 door Gladiator people: Does the doors come off?

2 door Gladiator people: Does the windshield fold down?

2 door Gladiator people: Does it have any of the cool Wrangler family specific options?

2 door Gladiator people: *laughs and walks away* It's not for us then. We aren't stupid.

FCA: See no one buys extended cabs anymore.

This is all a joke. Don't get your knickers in a twist.
I agree with what you're saying 100%. It especially pisses me off that Jeep/FCA left off the differing cab variants and bed lengths in response to many who have hounded Jeep since the 2005 Gladiator concept to build a pickup truck again. The Jeep design chief specifically said: This truck was not built based upon a marketing study but rather it was built in response to the customer base "screaming" for a truck. Who'd a thought that they would offer one bed and one cab only??? I agree, I would love a truck with a soft top and removable doors but I am not going to layout for things like a full rear seat and cab space that will never get used and a bed that is too short for what I need a truck for. Rather than buy a Dakota (if and when one ever appears) I'll just keep my Ram quad cab.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So I am now at Sport Max Tow. not even an S. I want truck. And, I believe I am correct that if I remove the back seats and put in my bench seat and take off the back doors, that I will have the first two door Jeep Gladiator pickup truck. Either that or get me a test mule from 05. Whatever happened to those?

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
I agree with what you're saying 100%. It especially pisses me off that Jeep/FCA left off the differing cab variants and bed lengths in response to many who have hounded Jeep since the 2005 Gladiator concept to build a pickup truck again. The Jeep design chief specifically said: This truck was not built based upon a marketing study but rather it was built in response to the customer base "screaming" for a truck. Who'd a thought that they would offer one bed and one cab only??? I agree, I would love a truck with a soft top and removable doors but I am not going to layout for things like a full rear seat and cab space that will never get used and a bed that is too short for what I need a truck for. Rather than buy a Dakota (if and when one ever appears) I'll just keep my Ram quad cab.
Between the truck clusterf**k of Dakota, Gladiator and Ram there is no reason I would consider a Dakota. The Dakota will be too constrained to not step too many toes. It will inevitably but it is more like as few as possible.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Heavy duty truck sales - particularly diesel models are a completely different animal due to the towing capability as they are most often used for towing rv's such as fifth wheels. My brother owns a 3500 Ram Limited with a Cummins (gorgeous truck BTW) and he purchased it for his 14,000 lb. fifth wheel. In this instance the crew cab makes sense as people use these configurations to bring their kids, pets etc. and the crew cab is really needed. The lighter 1/2 tons and mid-sizes though are more varied and buyers needs are broad. I use the longer bed in quad cab Ram 1500 Laramie all the time.
Yes I know they are different, but they are also a lot more of a work vehicle. This means the take numbers on standard cabs and long beds are much higher due to fleet sales. While not exact for the mid-size market it gives a perspective of % sold based on cab configuration.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess I do not understand this "work truck" label. Jeep will tell us that the new Gladiator has a "best in class" 7,600 lbs towing capability and can haul 1,600 lbs. hell that's better than my Ram 1500! Yet they resist saying this can appeal to a "work truck" lifestyle....why??? These numbers ARE good and can broaden the appeal of the truck - the Gladiator - with additional bed configurations and cabs can be both...where's the harm? It makes no sense....

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
I guess I do not understand this "work truck" label. Jeep will tell us that the new Gladiator has a "best in class" 7,600 lbs towing capability and can haul 1,600 lbs. hell that's better than my Ram 1500! Yet they resist saying this can appeal to a "work truck" lifestyle....why??? These numbers ARE good and can broaden the appeal of the truck - the Gladiator - with additional bed configurations and cabs can be both...where's the harm? It makes no sense....
Because they are positioning it as a premium vehicle and will price accordingly - and because the bed is too short for a work truck.
Sponsored