Updated steering in Gladiator?

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
I have heard that there are a bunch of issues with the JL Wrangler having to do with death wobble. I saw a note the other day on another forum saying that they were upgrading the track bar and tyronne with upgraded joints. Will the new Gladiator have those changes and initially or is that something that will be done later on?
Sponsored

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I haven't heard death wobble, but I did test drive a JL Rubicon last year and it felt very loose to me... it was uncomfortable. Different people had different thoughts on it, though one YouTuber played around with different components and managed to tighten it up. It feels like it might come out of the factory feeling squirrely... so hopefully they've dialed that in.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I have heard that there are a bunch of issues with the JL Wrangler having to do with death wobble. I saw a note the other day on another forum saying that they were upgrading the track bar and tyronne with upgraded joints. Will the new Gladiator have those changes and initially or is that something that will be done later on?
Good question. I would hope everything off the line going forward gets the upgrade, both JLs and JTs. Be nice if we could get this confirmed.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I believe they also had a batch of JL front axles with loose lower ball joints which contributed to vague steering. That should be fixed now.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I believe they also had a batch of JL front axles with loose lower ball joints which contributed to vague steering. That should be fixed now.
From what I read there are 2 issues. 1 with electric steering where steering wheel locks or is hard to turn in a curve and 2 front axle vibration from hardware components that seems to have more problems with aftermarket lifts. It is a solid front axle in some case with atleast 2.5” lift and 35s. So not surprised it’s a different feel than other suvs.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Every time I see someone complaining about Jeep and death wobble they are talking about a rig with aftermarket suspension and or they beat the hell out of there rigs rock crawling. If you lift if. If you craw it. It is not a problem with Jeep.

Wranglers and the Gladiator are solid axel vehicles made to be off road capable. It will never drive like a car.

OP
OP
billyjk7

billyjk7

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler JKU on 40s and Tons
Every time I see someone complaining about Jeep and death wobble they are talking about a rig with aftermarket suspension and or they beat the hell out of there rigs rock crawling. If you lift if. If you craw it. It is not a problem with Jeep.

Wranglers and the Gladiator are solid axel vehicles made to be off road capable. It will never drive like a car.
Unfortunately, there were a great number of stock, brand new rigs with wandering, vague steering. There's actually a tsb for new Jl wranglers noting there are issues with ball joints, and track bar bushings and end joints

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Unfortunately, there were a great number of stock, brand new rigs with wandering, vague steering. There's actually a tsb for new Jl wranglers noting there are issues with ball joints, and track bar bushings and end joints
Yes, finally ! . . . I believe I mentioned that a day or 2 ago, either here on a JT thread or at JL ! The Bushings it was noted are being replaced with a Harder material - and I mentioned there is a company we've all seen in (I think?) the Sema show video(s) that has many New Products for the JL/JT for Lifts and all the "trimmings" related . . . especially of note (I thought) were the NEW RUBBER Products (Bushings +) ! A general jeep related YouTube search should bring up all sorts of answers !

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I "believe," with a few grains of salt, that the MINORITY of JL's with "issues of this nature," are ones that have been altered in some ways after purchase !? True too, I also believe the engineers made some "ill-advised calls" and may have "compromised" in places they should not have - how's that for being "diplomatic" ? ;) And, it's the "nature of the beast" - Wranglers are unique, don't you think ? It's what sets them apart & above "the others" ! Straight axles, sway bars, disconnecting this & that . . . lot's of moving/rubbing parts and stress points vs. todays independent suspensions, which have their own unique "issues" ! SO, you want to Off Road in a hard top, independent-suspension jeep (or other?) - take your pick > Renegade to G.C. (for now - Wagoneers later?).
My "pretty" 2016 G.C. posses well, but I constantly "fear" pin-striping it ! So I'm ready to make the change to some sort of Wrangler-esgue rig by years end !
I find some like to pretend to themselves and to "us" that they might play it safe and get "such & such" cause that vehicle has a "proven" record . . . HOG WASH ! Do your own (easy research) on what ever vehicles your thinking about and find ALL kinds of OPINIONS, then get the FACTS from RELIABLE sources, more than one !
Damn, I've rambled on again ! Sorry man I don't mean to be preaching to the preacher ! Me ? I try to be patient, wait it out some . . . then get the Facts, do some test drives and decide ! OK, now I'm really finished . . . :headbang: . :whew: .

Sponsored

WanderingTrail

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingtrail.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Rubicon
Occupation
SSHO
I test drove one of the new JLUR's when they first hit the showrooms and the steering was really flighty on it. Enough that I drove it right back into the dealership with the salesman. He asked what was wrong and I asked him if he had driven it.. He told me no, so I said you drive it. It freaked him out also on how loose it was. We both drive lifted JK's and our steering is solid. We drove a different JLUR and it's steering was better, still soft, but better. I found out later that the first JLUR was taken back by FCA... Hmmm. I do believe that the JL steering is better than my JK, just doesn't has as much feed back, which is probably what a lot of us feel in the difference.

Ron