Sponsored

270 degree Awning to the left, or to the right?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
So which side should the awning be on a Gladiator? Driver side, or passenger side? Please help me out with the pros/cons of each. I know these photos aren't of Gladiators, but that's its intended final place (might live on my Pacifica for a few months).

Lets keep this discussion just about a 270 degree awning in general, not a specific brand/attributes if possible.

Left - Driver Side
33100-BatwingAwning-00.jpg

Right - Passenger Side
33200-BatwingAwning-00.jpg
Sponsored

JeepDreams

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gobi Jeep Renegade. Priors: 2007 Rescue Green Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Just a thought:
If you have a swing tailgate (rather than a lift), I would have the awning opposite the hinge to maximize usage (the opposite of photo #2).

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
my awning are just the standard 1s not wrap around i have 1 on each side & 1 on the back
IMG_2810.JPG

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Do you plan on adding an RTT? Typically ive seen the awning run opposite the swing of the tent. Good point about the gate swing.

If I had to chose I’d say swing the tent to passenger and have the awning cover the driver side.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I saw 270 degree in the post title and thought it was another red post.

I echo why has been said above about tailgate/rtt.

Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I plan on getting a driver side ( Left) batwing awning. Since I may get a RTT and for some reason or another I always see them set up the tents with the entrance on the passenger side.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
You should get two. That way you're covered for any situation! :like:

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I think ( trouble thinking) the swing is personal preference, I will when I do mine will be mounted passenger side because I am right handed and work right to left. I tend to like passenger side because do long time safety habits i do this because people and traffic pass to the left in normal movement and I like a barrier to traffic. That my preference.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Just a thought:
If you have a swing tailgate (rather than a lift), I would have the awning opposite the hinge to maximize usage (the opposite of photo #2).
my multi-quote doesn't work and i forgot to watch my own thread, so i have to reply in a series of answers, blah.

Long term plan is for this to be on the JT, just temporary on the van, van has a lift-gate not a swing gate. But you give a good thought to others.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you plan on adding an RTT? Typically ive seen the awning run opposite the swing of the tent. Good point about the gate swing.

If I had to chose I’d say swing the tent to passenger and have the awning cover the driver side.
I do plan on an RTT, but not for a while. Do RTT typically only open to one side, or can you buy the same model that opens left or right?

If not, what is the typical side they open to? Good idea, future proofing.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan on getting a driver side ( Left) batwing awning. Since I may get a RTT and for some reason or another I always see them set up the tents with the entrance on the passenger side.
what are some of the major RTT manufacturers? I know i can look them up, but if you already know a few i'll contact them about which way they open typically.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should get two. That way you're covered for any situation! :like:
like one that covers 270 of the front of the car, and another for 270 of the rear? maybe i could just get 4 of them.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
what are some of the major RTT manufacturers? I know i can look them up, but if you already know a few i'll contact them about which way they open typically.
You can just flip it to what ever side you want really. but for some reason i like the idea of the the awining on the left and the tent on the right. I guess because I'll probably use the awning more at the beach ant will set it up from my drivers side.

I plan on getting the smittybuilt ( I know cheapest one, but actually has fairly good reviews)XL overlander. It's just under $1k and is the biggest reasonably priced tent out there. Supposedly it can fit 4 people. (now tent manufactures never mean 4 fully grown Americans, but it should be fine for myself, wife and two daughters.)
There are two main types of RTT. Soft and hard shell. Hard shell are much more expensive and tend to be smaller (thought there are some hybrid ones that get pretty big ($$$). Benefits of the hardshells are supposedly quieter on the road an smaller hit on fuel economy, likely more durable, and ease of set up. Down sides are price and size. For the common soft shells the big three off the top of my head are ARB, Tepui and smittybuilt. There are many others though.

images.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
The tents all depend on how you mount it, they have a hinge so it’s up to you how you point it. If it’s high enough you can add the annex around the ladder for a “mud room” for kids or dogs etc.

Nearly all the tents come out of a small number of plants in China and nearly all the tents below a given price point are identical enough as to not matter.

I did a lot of homework and dollar for dollar I like the cascadia tents for ROI in terms of materials etc.

https://cascadiatents.com/
Sponsored