20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
We always called it camping growing up, regardless of whether we slept in a tent, camper, pickup, or on the ground.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
But overlanding sounds so much more hip and modern and just think you can finally have a back pocket reason for owning all of those north face and Patagonia vests.

I’m sure if we worked hard enough we could make homesteading cool too, talk them all into building their own cabins and learning to hunt and plant the land.

But in all seriousness I’ve always looked at overlanding as different from off-roading. Overlanding has always struck me as journeying from here to there where you aren’t trying to rock crawl a stone garden or ford the raging waters specifically, something like the Trans America Trail as opposed to off-roading which is equal parts play silly games & win silly prizes and use practical know how to overcome technical challenges. I suppose then they overlap with things like rallye-raid events where you need to run a course and have to haul your own freight at the same time.

So I guess I’d categorize overlanding as somewhere between mobile cabin camping and very well stocked base camp camping. In unimog circles (and nearly all the other heavy duty rig circles) we just call it expedition camping but I guess therein lies the difference.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have found that some of the "Overlanders" take themselves waaaaaay too seriously for me to interact with them.

There was/is a post on Overland Journal/Expedition Portal about the Gladiator Way Out, and one of the residents there was getting swelled up and puffy eyed about the fact they were making margaritas with their air operated blender because it was sullying his image.

What was really sullying his image was being a petty dildo because "muh ackyhaulz".

Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I see you too dislike the jimmy buffet aspect that sometimes breaks out. I love me a nice relaxing drink after a day of trying driving and the ability to make real food in the field is always appreciated but there are limits. Too much of a party can lead to good places getting trashed out and all it takes is the wrong people getting cherrypicked photos and trails get shut down.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I see you too dislike the jimmy buffet aspect that sometimes breaks out. I love me a nice relaxing drink after a day of trying driving and the ability to make real food in the field is always appreciated but there are limits. Too much of a party can lead to good places getting trashed out and all it takes is the wrong people getting cherrypicked photos and trails get shut down.
Oh I understand, but people get so damned overboard with things. Nobody like slobs and there are slobs in al walks of life. People use sweeping generalizations, and in the case I'm talking about, they didn't have three kegs and a stripper pole on a trailer, they had a blender making what appeared to be margaritas on a scale that would disappoint anyone with an appetite for alcohol greater than a Presbyterian Preacher.

Lighten_Up_Francis.jpg

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Who said that!?

241A2A66-273D-4919-B5FE-7F6D5A072F48.gif

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
It’s the overboard thing that always gets me. There recently was a Jeep event on the beach in Texas, lead to arrests, fights, rioting and some guy ran his buddy over. No bueno!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28114...o-68-arrests-and-32-car-crashes-in-texas-town

I’m all for reaching your over night spot and kicking back and enjoying just being. It’s when the YOLO kicks in that I get out of sorts. As for their tiny blender I think that was more like let’s make some margaritas because we can and any real margarita drinker should has spotted it right off, slurpie drinks are yuck in a cup!

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
It’s the overboard thing that always gets me. There recently was a Jeep event on the beach in Texas, lead to arrests, fights, rioting and some guy ran his buddy over. No bueno!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28114...o-68-arrests-and-32-car-crashes-in-texas-town

I’m all for reaching your over night spot and kicking back and enjoying just being. It’s when the YOLO kicks in that I get out of sorts. As for their tiny blender I think that was more like let’s make some margaritas because we can and any real margarita drinker should has spotted it right off, slurpie drinks are yuck in a cup!
Yeah, uhhh, that is a party on the beach not an "overland" expedition.

Surely a hard core overlander would have already jettisoned the unneeded weight of the blender , because as you so astutely note slushies are for hipsters.

I'll be good with a bottle of tequila, and if I can make weight lemons and salt.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Ditto all above. Overlanding is mutual of Omaha type shit. Everything else is camping. Always avoid morons out there. And if you live way out, it counts, since napping on the porch is the same as city folks driving four days to nap at the campsite. Buzzword? Is this a drinking game? Woohoo!

7f3550812a0b5ed3a1c42dd1c511d231--slide-in-camper-jeep-gladiator.jpg
Sponsored