Aftermarket Trailer Brakes?

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I am also interested in how did you mount the controller? Did you screw it, bolt it, velcro or duct taped it?
Sponsored

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
I am also interested in how did you mount the controller? Did you screw it, bolt it, velcro or duct taped it?
Well, theres not much room under there for me to contort myself to see and even less to mount the control box to. What I did is use 3m VHB double sided tape to mount the control box to the box under the steering wheel with the wires coming out of it in the following pic. If that doesn’t work out long term then I will try to move it to the left inner kick panel as there is room to do so but will require lengthening the wires to the control panel and remote head. Im really trying to avoid doing that though. So far there have been no issues at all, only possible issue I could see is that the tape doesn’t hold but I dont think itll be an issue as VHB works good, sometimes too good..

BB5F4E18-EDE5-45BD-A83C-228310016861.jpeg

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Thanks,
I appreciate your effort to educate us. I will order everything when I get the word when my truck will be delivered.
KVJ

wyjt

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Is this the wiring harness your taking about?
1A5DB96C-55D2-4065-9190-B99D6D6E1BEC.png
Is this the 3045-P harness? Waiting on my JT, but have a Takonsha in my '08 wrangler. Had to direct connect that to the wiring harness.

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS and 2020 JTS
Occupation
Public Safety
I think your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. There is pics on another thread that shows the jeep side of the connector.
My JL came with one when I ordered the Tow Package for it. I imagine the Tow Package, and even the Max-Tow package for the JT would include a connector as well since it has kinda become industry standard, and the JL has one.

For my JL I went with the Hopkins Insight Trailer Brake controller, it comes with a black box that you place level along the left kick panel, a little digital screen and you stick on the dash somewhere, mine is stuck just below my drivers side right a/c vent, and the control I mounted just under my parking brake, easy to reach while driving, I will most likely do the same on my JT when I get one.

Sponsored

avnmech

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS and 2020 JTS
Occupation
Public Safety
Who here has actually installed an electric brake controller? Please speak up since my dealer says there is no plug and play wiring harness. All trucks typically come with a short wiring harness in the glove box which makes it super easy set up. Even my JL does not have a plug and play set and my dealer claims nothing for the JK and JL. And if you have a part number that would be great.
For my JLU I went with the Hopkins Insight Trailer Brake controller, with a 305-P connector, it was plug and play, and it comes with a black box that you place level along the left kick panel, a little digital screen and you stick on the dash somewhere, mine is stuck just below my drivers side right a/c vent, and the control I mounted just under my parking brake, easy to reach while driving, I will most likely do the same on my JT when I get one.

JRV

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250/Stingray
Thanks for the help. I have the Tekonsha P3 brake controller and used the 3014-P wiring harness. Everything was plug and play and worked great.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Another question for NORDNDED:
Now that I have my JT, and ready to order the Redarc, I'm wondering how difficult is it to remove the 12V adapter and gain access behind the dash to slip in the control knob? That appears to be the only logical place to install it.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
So we want the wiring connector harness for a 2017 Ram 1500? Good info. Thanks.
NO - get the Jeep harness connector. The Ram connector has two wires flipped and does not work without swapping the wires (or mismatching the wire colors to the brake controller). I'm running the Tekonsha 3014-P harness linked here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRWR1YI
With a Hopkins agility controller without issue. Anybody telling you the 3014-P harness doesn't work is giving you bad information or did not wire it to the brake controller correctly.

NORDNDED

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2016 JKUR, 2015 JKURHR, 2015 F150, 1973 Ford Bronco
NO - get the Jeep harness connector. The Ram connector has two wires flipped and does not work without swapping the wires (or mismatching the wire colors to the brake controller). I'm running the Tekonsha 3014-P harness linked here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QRWR1YI
With a Hopkins agility controller without issue. Anybody telling you the 3014-P harness doesn't work is giving you bad information or did not wire it to the brake controller correctly.
You are correct that the 3014p harness is the right adapter for the vehicle side but it only works with a Tekonsha controller if plug and play is what youre after. For the Redarc controller I used their adapter for the Ram truck as they dont have a Jeep specific one and had to reverse the two wires you mentioned for it to work properly. It was a 2 min fix vs cutting and splicing.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
You are correct that the 3014p harness is the right adapter for the vehicle side but it only works with a Tekonsha controller if plug and play is what youre after. For the Redarc controller I used their adapter for the Ram truck as they dont have a Jeep specific one and had to reverse the two wires you mentioned for it to work properly. It was a 2 min fix vs cutting and splicing.
The the redarc has a universal adapter that you just push the wires in I think, though you still have to cut and strip them, but yeah I thought you were talking about the tekonsha harness.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Another question for NORDNDED:
Now that I have my JT, and ready to order the Redarc, I'm wondering how difficult is it to remove the 12V adapter and gain access behind the dash to slip in the control knob? That appears to be the only logical place to install it.
If I get a Redarc I'm thinking of mounting it next to the trans. shifter, between the t-case shifter and e-brake handle. I think that would be a very nice place to have the control, and you can get to that area easily by simply popping off the bezel around the shifter.

Although, I'm not interested in fooling around with swapping wires in harnesses and all that, so the Redarc is off my list for now. Too many good PNP options are out there with more coming.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
Can you remember which two wires needed switched. I'm installed but not working.