Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

nuclear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Owning a CJ8 Scrambler was a dream of mine for many years when I was younger. I used to browse the classifieds every weekend trying to find one within my budget but it was never meant to be. Then I heard Jeep was coming out with the Gladiator and was ecstatic. Told my wife how much I wanted one and she had no problem with it. Fast forward to pricing and it's pretty expensive but doable. However, given my current needs it is too small inside. Right now we have two car seats in the back and quite often throw a third adult in between. The JT just would not be able to do that. With that being said, I am now looking at Power Wagons.
Sponsored

RSK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator , 2016 Wrangler JK, 2015 Renegade
Occupation
Senior Director of Engineering & Facilities
Well, I've looked at Gladiators for 2-3 years waiting on their arrival. Waiting to trade in my old 2010 Ram Laramie1500 and being patience saying that is what I am going to buy next. Two weeks ago I test drove my first Gladiator and loved it, but felt it was a little small being use to the Ram 1500 driving them for over 20 years. I can get over the size thing. After test driving the exact Gladiator I wanted with all the options, color, etc., I sat down with Banks Crossing CDJ in Commerce, GA and tried to talk fair numbers. First off, they low balled me on my KBB trade by $3k and then tagged an additional "reflective marketing for the area" of $3k on top of the full price MSRP. I offered $55k and $10K for my truck trade-in for the Gladiator and they wouldn't even discuss it, saying the Gladiator will sell to another customer for their price by they end of the day. Obviously this is complete price gouging upping the cost to $64k+ ($3k over MSRP) and leaving a bad taste to a point where got up and left the dealership. I will never return to Banks Crossing CDJ as a customer again. Oh and by the way, that same Gladiator I made an offer on is still sitting on their lot 2 weeks later. It could have been in my garage and they would have made a nice profit off my fair offer.

A few days later, I went to another dealership to try again on another Gladiator that didn't have exactly what I wanted in options, but close. They didn't try to gouge up the price over MSRP, but would not come off the full MSRP price and offered $4K below the KKB trade in price on my truck trade. Then I starting looking at the newly redesigned 2019 Ram 1500 Limited fully loaded with every bell and whistle they come with for MSRP of $71k. Obviously not going to pay $71k for a truck. But after test driving and some back and forth with dealer incentives and trade of my truck, we settled on $51k. I felt like I did pretty well at $20k below MSRP after the trade of my old truck for brand new state of the art technology vehicle. Even though the new Ram Limited is just absolutely beautiful, I still find myself wishing the Gladiator was in my garage versus another Ram. I will still get a Gladiator when all of this new truck-itis is over and the price comes down a little more reasonable without all the hype. Maybe that will be sooner than later as I have been watching what is on the dealer lots with current Gladiator inventory. I don't see these Gladiators just flying off the lots as soon as they arrive and most seem to be sitting. Probably customers like me with the same disappointment of gouging to a point of feeling ripped off. I still want a Gladiator and will get one eventually, but at the same time have to feel like I bought something at a fair price.

Until then? Yeah, I'm the guy that just bought the fully loaded new "full sized truck for (better than) the same price".
Do I feel good about it? Not really, probably should have just gotten the new Gladiator instead and be happier in the end.

Oh well, there is always next time...

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
I said this once before but I really don't understand this question on this forum!

It's not about the value for your dollar or just buying a truck. I am a Jeep owner and love the freedom of my Jeep but I'm also a weekend do it yourself kind of a guy and need a bed or trailer. I don't want to own a Jeep and a Truck. The Gladiator fulfills this in one package. What other truck is basically a Jeep with a bed engineered to handle the load and towing??

Chance_P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Wrangler is my daily. Enjoy the open top/doors off too much to drive anything else. Also need a truck as I recently purchased a fixer upper of a home. Not interested in dual vehicles. Pretty easy to make this decision.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Wait for the GMC sierra AT4 with the inline 6 duramax diesel or the Gladiator Rubicon with the ecodiesel, or just bite the bullet and get the Gladiator Rubicon with the pentastar?

I drive plenty of miles/year to make the diesel worth the cost.
My 4Runner will last forever so I'm not in a hurry

I don't forsee going on smaller off-road trails.

I need a solid work truck and use it to haul kayaks and a small travel trailer.

Your thoughts?

Sponsored

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
Wait for the GMC sierra AT4 with the inline 6 duramax diesel or the Gladiator Rubicon with the ecodiesel, or just bite the bullet and get the Gladiator Rubicon with the pentastar?

I drive plenty of miles/year to make the diesel worth the cost.
My 4Runner will last forever so I'm not in a hurry

I don't forsee going on smaller off-road trails.

I need a solid work truck and use it to haul kayaks and a small travel trailer.

Your thoughts?
Just wait for the Gladiator EcoDiesel.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
any speculation on what they mean by year 2020? or whatever their last excuse was for the diesel?

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I go back and forth. Now thinking It is good to have a home here for this topic. Good discussion. Highlights some interesting Compar-o. Chance to see where people land on this decision. Hell I went resto to solve my price dilemma and still have a Jeep truck.

But what we don't see is the other end of the spectrum. We have a shit ton of people regretting the decision to buy a Gladiator? No, no we don't. That's the proof. You do struggle a bit if you don't get one and you don't get buyers remorse as much if you do get one.

Jeep Truck wins!

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
For me it was the fact that convertible and truck finally met in a modern form. Besides, the full-size trucks I would be buying are closer to $80k these days because they are totally different animal. The Gladiator was the perfect combination for me right now, and really, the first Jeep I’ve been interested in since the Comanche.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Well as much as I loved my JKU and really wanted to love the Gladiator, I am now officially no longer a Jeep owner. With 2020s now hitting the lot I was able to get $8K off a 802A Raptor which put me OTD at $62K, barely more than a loaded Rubicon Gladiator, and I don't have to wait for the diesel.

It definitely a trade-off with the size and no removable top, but I got the Pano Sunroof which for me is good enough and more power and comfort which were priorities for me since I'm overlanding not rock crawling. Plus the 2019s have the Fox Live Valve shocks.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well as much as I loved my JKU and really wanted to love the Gladiator, I am now officially no longer a Jeep owner. With 2020s now hitting the lot I was able to get $8K off a 802A Raptor which put me OTD at $62K, barely more than a loaded Rubicon Gladiator, and I don't have to wait for the diesel.

It definitely a trade-off with the size and no removable top, but I got the Pano Sunroof which for me is good enough and more power and comfort which were priorities for me since I'm overlanding not rock crawling. Plus the 2019s have the Fox Live Valve shocks.
What color did you get?

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Magnetic so all the trim matches. :involve:

Not as easy to park as the Wrangler, but my gawd the upgrade in power and handling is simply amazing. Its like a truck version of my old BMW M3

camphoto_1804928587.JPG
Nice truck. You'll be back. :bandit:;)

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I'm still teetering, like daily flip flops between Sport S max-tow, 2020 Silverado w/Duramax, and 2020 Tacoma Off Road w/ 6' bed and LED headlights. Glad you got what you wanted.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm still teetering, like daily flip flops between Sport S max-tow, 2020 Silverado w/Duramax, and 2020 Tacoma Off Road w/ 6' bed and LED headlights. Glad you got what you wanted.
There's no way in hell I'd buy a Tacoma. 15 year old platform, horrible engine, clunky transmission, no interior space at all, drum brakes out back, flimsy frame, plastic bed, and a host of other failures.

I'm an avid GM hater, after having been stranded by a Silverado 3 times in 3 years, and then leasing another one brand new and having to take it to the shop 10 times in 12 months. BUT... that new 2020 with the I-6 Duramax could potentially be a very nice truck. Should get excellent mileage, with great driveability, and good amount of interior space and payload. That's one truck that's on my radar when my Gladiator lease is up in a couple years.
Sponsored