Sponsored

Where have you been all my life, Gladys?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
And for your short seasons of open air driving you should think about getting a Bestop Sunrider. No more messing around with the roof panels each time you go out. Opens and closes in seconds.
yeah that's what i'm thinking too. I would flip the top open daily, but taking the panels off is like a once ever 2 week thing for me.

That's like 14 times more open air driving!
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I had a big project this weekend and couldn't have done it without Gladys. As another member mentioned, make sure your cables are secured in the half way position. I had 3 sheets of ply and 4 4x4s on it when i noticed they were not fully seated. it was kinda hard to lift all that by myself , but i was able to get R' done.
20190830_164735.jpg

20190830_164748.jpg
20190830_171330.jpg

In order to get all this wood into my backyard I decided to go through the rear fence. I just removed a few pickets from the fresh new section.

20190830_174138.jpg
20190830_180533.jpg

A few weeks ago my town got slammed by a tornado strength wind storm. I lost like 15 trees, and i decided to build a 24' long 3' wide wood shed. I know some people say you can just stack wood off the ground and it'll dry fine. I've seen piles of wood get crappy by rain so I decided to make my shed covered. I already made a wood shed a few years ago. Turns out it was WAY OVERKILL. So this time i'm not making it as beefy and trying to maximize the material length.

I just put down 3 4x4s and cut 12' deck boards in 4 to make the floor. 36" wide should give you enough space for 2 18" wide logs.

Got to try my cordless miter saw for the first time. Super convenient for 2.75" or less "tall" cuts. Unable to cut a 4x4 in one pass, (super annoying), but the 8" saw is very light. The 10" saw can do a 4x4 in one pass but they're quite a bit heavier, gotta see how heavy one of those are.
20190831_153048.jpg

Jig to cut repeated 36" wide deck boards.
20190831_153056.jpg

Part of way done.
20190901_120522.jpg
20190901_120533.jpg
20190902_082122.jpg

Finally done:
20190902_101930.jpg

And now the wood is moved.
20190902_163823.jpg

Got a few tree stumps to cut down and then 3 smaller piles of wood from trees cut down last year.

Couldn't have done this as easily without my girl Gladys!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m super excited about the results, but the lighting inside for my photos inside the truck suck and don't do it justice.

As usual end result snapshot, background of story then more final results. I’ve been keeping this quiet for like 6 months and now I finally get to share it with you.
20190908_075756.jpg

It was probably 9 months ago that I learned about Hot Head Headliners and how lots of Wrangler Guys liked them. I’ve NOT been a fan of the white ceiling on the JL and figured I wouldn’t like it on my JT. Luckily because I have a white JT there are several other white paint areas so the ceiling doesn’t stand out nearly as much.

I decided a while back that I wanted something different for my headliner than just black. I did a lot of searching and found this company called, J&J Auto Fabrics and found a sweet brown, green, tan and black plaid pattern. I ordered a cool sample pack of each of the german plaid pattern options. The older guy Joe was very nice all 3 times I interacted with him. I even got a pack of skittles when my sample pack showed up. :like:
20190908_100310.jpg

https://www.jjautofabrics.com/german-plaid-brown-beige-green-oem-fabric-58-wide/

I had contacted Hothead Headliners a while back and asked if they could wrap the headliner with a custom fabric. They said they would take a look at the fabric sample. Unfortunately they felt that the method they use to affix the fabric to the panels couldn’t guarantee the lines on the plaid pattern would remain straight. When asked if they would sell just the panel without fabric they said they could not. Fair enough. So I paid full price then moded it.

I searched around for a good auto apholstry shop and found one about 60 miles away that had great reviews on Google. Erickson Auto Trim also does Katzkin seats, YIPPY. http://www.eautotrim.com/ They had a bit of an issue with emails when I first got contacted with them; however, they’re super friendly and professional. I would just call them than email if you are thinking of using them. So I asked them and sent them a sample as well. At first they were concerned about the glue they use bleeding through but after receiving the sample they tested it and were confident the backing on the fabric would keep the glue from bleeding through. So I went ahead and bought the hothead headliner and stopped by their place. The owner thought they should be able to wrap them with my fabric. So I ordered the fabric and had it shipped right to them. Took about 1 week and my headliners were done. I’ll be honest at first I wasn’t super excited. Not in the quality of work but the pattern, I thought there was more brown/green like the sample I got. However, after looking more closely, the tan matches my seats perfectly.

One reason I went with this color scheme is that when I get a Gator JT, the headliners will also look great on that as well. I’m going to swap my 3 piece hardtop over to whatever JT I end up getting. Not going through all this work and expense a 2nd time. :surprised:

Last night I spent 4 hours taking apart the freedom panels, sanding where the headliners attach per their instructions, attaching the sound assassin strips, and MASKING THE FREEDOM PANELS. Lol this took the most time by far. I was thinking matte black, but on another thread somebody mentioned using Satin instead because it would be lighter in the interior and cover up scuffs more, so I bought both in Krylon Fusion.

Observations:
Make sure you number the handles and take a photo of their orientation.
20190907_202120.jpg
20190907_214236.jpg

20190908_075703.jpg

I just taped off the whole inside but made sure none of the blue tape would show with the headliner in place during a dry fit. The below photo shows my oops, don't mask the 3 bolt areas for the levers, just put your bolts back in the holes and screw em down.
20190907_211443.jpg

Holy crap I like Krylon Fusion! I didn’t scotch brite any place that I painted and it adhered solidly. It went on super easy, no drips/streaks/runs. I put on 3 coats of Satin and decided I didn’t like the sheen, so I put 3 coats of matte black on over it. I’m not a paint guy, so I dunno if that mixes them at all or if the matt will completely cover up the satin. After doing this with the first panel, I decided to do the same thing with the 2nd, just in case there was a variation in the final look that would drive me batshit crazy for the rest of my life. 3 coats satin then 3 matte for all panels now……..ugh :swear:

The handle thingy with 4 torx bolts on it has 27mm torx, NOT 24! Ugh, I screwed up one of the bolts (interestingly it was the 5th bolt) before I realized it was the wrong size. I was able to get it out with a vice grip luckily. Gotta buy a new one. Looks like all of these bolts had blue locktite on them. I think the blue is the temporary one, not permanent like red

At first I masked the area where the 3 handles go and after painting on the first panel I then realized some of the white would show through so I just painted 3 coats of matte on this area I masked off on the first panel, then I 2nd panel with just the bolts threaded into the holes.

I don’t know if it was the blue painters tape, or if somehow a smidge of the paint got onto some of the foam pieces, but when I pulled the masking tape off, it actually pealed some of the rubber weatherstripping off as well so be careful………hopefully not too much was taken off and I won’t notice any noises, I HATE NOISES! =) (I wrote part of this last night. I went to Menards and up to 40mph no noises that I can tell, also didn’t notice it was any quieter, lmao.

I left the freedom panels and the headliners under my 1500watt infrared garage heater overnight so that they’re both warm for when I put the headliner on. Wisconsin is already getting into the 50s and tomorrow its suppose to rain. The directions say it should be above 70 for optimal adhesion. So hopefully this does the trick.

SUCCESS!!! (OMG these look amazing, I can’t wait until I have time/weather to do the back seats/part of top.) Erickson did a fricken great job, check out how the pattern continues from panel to panel.
20190908_082107.jpg
20190908_082419.jpg

20190908_082431.jpg
20190908_082531.jpg
20190908_082540.jpg

ITS LIKE ITS NOT THEIR FIRST RODEO!

Costs!

Hothead Headliners ~$350 after 10% discount

Fabric/shipping ~$299

Erickson work $200

Paint/tape/ect ~$20

Total cost $869, plus my time…………………..Totally expensive, don’t get me wrong, but I love this truck and love the custom look. Gladys better be a happy girl!:blush:

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very VW GTI-esque. I dig it.
Hey it's Germain plaid afterall. I had an 86 VW golf that had seats kinda like this, brings me back.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
That roof liner is sweet! I had a ‘92 GTi with a very German-esc interior. Loved it!
I’m currently working on a ‘73 Porsche 914 GT resto. Again love the plaid German interiors. The combo you have with the tan/saddle seats is excellent!
Great taste Steffan :rock:

F0D4B845-E2A8-462A-BEFF-0E144EC8CB33.jpeg

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That roof liner is sweet! I had a ‘92 GTi with a very German-esc interior. Loved it!
I’m currently working on a ‘73 Porsche 914 GT resto. Again love the plaid German interiors. The combo you have with the tan/saddle seats is excellent!
Great taste Steffan :rock:

F0D4B845-E2A8-462A-BEFF-0E144EC8CB33.jpeg
Thanks. My wife said she was very skeptical, but now after seeing what i tried explaining, she thinks its awesome. HA take that wife!:punch: lol

AZchip

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep Cherokee 2003 Tundra
I love that fabric. Nice JT. Enjoy your write ups.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love that fabric. Nice JT. Enjoy your write ups.
Thanks! I've got a few more things in the pipeline but then it'll settle down or my bank account will be drained.

Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I’m super excited about the results, but the lighting inside for my photos inside the truck suck and don't do it justice.

As usual end result snapshot, background of story then more final results. I’ve been keeping this quiet for like 6 months and now I finally get to share it with you.
20190908_075756.jpg

It was probably 9 months ago that I learned about Hot Head Headliners and how lots of Wrangler Guys liked them. I’ve NOT been a fan of the white ceiling on the JL and figured I wouldn’t like it on my JT. Luckily because I have a white JT there are several other white paint areas so the ceiling doesn’t stand out nearly as much.

I decided a while back that I wanted something different for my headliner than just black. I did a lot of searching and found this company called, J&J Auto Fabrics and found a sweet brown, green, tan and black plaid pattern. I ordered a cool sample pack of each of the german plaid pattern options. The older guy Joe was very nice all 3 times I interacted with him. I even got a pack of skittles when my sample pack showed up. :like:
20190908_100310.jpg

https://www.jjautofabrics.com/german-plaid-brown-beige-green-oem-fabric-58-wide/

I had contacted Hothead Headliners a while back and asked if they could wrap the headliner with a custom fabric. They said they would take a look at the fabric sample. Unfortunately they felt that the method they use to affix the fabric to the panels couldn’t guarantee the lines on the plaid pattern would remain straight. When asked if they would sell just the panel without fabric they said they could not. Fair enough. So I paid full price then moded it.

I searched around for a good auto apholstry shop and found one about 60 miles away that had great reviews on Google. Erickson Auto Trim also does Katzkin seats, YIPPY. http://www.eautotrim.com/ They had a bit of an issue with emails when I first got contacted with them; however, they’re super friendly and professional. I would just call them than email if you are thinking of using them. So I asked them and sent them a sample as well. At first they were concerned about the glue they use bleeding through but after receiving the sample they tested it and were confident the backing on the fabric would keep the glue from bleeding through. So I went ahead and bought the hothead headliner and stopped by their place. The owner thought they should be able to wrap them with my fabric. So I ordered the fabric and had it shipped right to them. Took about 1 week and my headliners were done. I’ll be honest at first I wasn’t super excited. Not in the quality of work but the pattern, I thought there was more brown/green like the sample I got. However, after looking more closely, the tan matches my seats perfectly.

One reason I went with this color scheme is that when I get a Gator JT, the headliners will also look great on that as well. I’m going to swap my 3 piece hardtop over to whatever JT I end up getting. Not going through all this work and expense a 2nd time. :surprised:

Last night I spent 4 hours taking apart the freedom panels, sanding where the headliners attach per their instructions, attaching the sound assassin strips, and MASKING THE FREEDOM PANELS. Lol this took the most time by far. I was thinking matte black, but on another thread somebody mentioned using Satin instead because it would be lighter in the interior and cover up scuffs more, so I bought both in Krylon Fusion.

Observations:
Make sure you number the handles and take a photo of their orientation.
20190907_202120.jpg
20190907_214236.jpg

20190908_075703.jpg

I just taped off the whole inside but made sure none of the blue tape would show with the headliner in place during a dry fit. The below photo shows my oops, don't mask the 3 bolt areas for the levers, just put your bolts back in the holes and screw em down.
20190907_211443.jpg

Holy crap I like Krylon Fusion! I didn’t scotch brite any place that I painted and it adhered solidly. It went on super easy, no drips/streaks/runs. I put on 3 coats of Satin and decided I didn’t like the sheen, so I put 3 coats of matte black on over it. I’m not a paint guy, so I dunno if that mixes them at all or if the matt will completely cover up the satin. After doing this with the first panel, I decided to do the same thing with the 2nd, just in case there was a variation in the final look that would drive me batshit crazy for the rest of my life. 3 coats satin then 3 matte for all panels now……..ugh :swear:

The handle thingy with 4 torx bolts on it has 27mm torx, NOT 24! Ugh, I screwed up one of the bolts (interestingly it was the 5th bolt) before I realized it was the wrong size. I was able to get it out with a vice grip luckily. Gotta buy a new one. Looks like all of these bolts had blue locktite on them. I think the blue is the temporary one, not permanent like red

At first I masked the area where the 3 handles go and after painting on the first panel I then realized some of the white would show through so I just painted 3 coats of matte on this area I masked off on the first panel, then I 2nd panel with just the bolts threaded into the holes.

I don’t know if it was the blue painters tape, or if somehow a smidge of the paint got onto some of the foam pieces, but when I pulled the masking tape off, it actually pealed some of the rubber weatherstripping off as well so be careful………hopefully not too much was taken off and I won’t notice any noises, I HATE NOISES! =) (I wrote part of this last night. I went to Menards and up to 40mph no noises that I can tell, also didn’t notice it was any quieter, lmao.

I left the freedom panels and the headliners under my 1500watt infrared garage heater overnight so that they’re both warm for when I put the headliner on. Wisconsin is already getting into the 50s and tomorrow its suppose to rain. The directions say it should be above 70 for optimal adhesion. So hopefully this does the trick.

SUCCESS!!! (OMG these look amazing, I can’t wait until I have time/weather to do the back seats/part of top.) Erickson did a fricken great job, check out how the pattern continues from panel to panel.
20190908_082107.jpg
20190908_082419.jpg

20190908_082431.jpg
20190908_082531.jpg
20190908_082540.jpg

ITS LIKE ITS NOT THEIR FIRST RODEO!

Costs!

Hothead Headliners ~$350 after 10% discount

Fabric/shipping ~$299

Erickson work $200

Paint/tape/ect ~$20

Total cost $869, plus my time…………………..Totally expensive, don’t get me wrong, but I love this truck and love the custom look. Gladys better be a happy girl!:blush:
They may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom (panels)!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A brief update on the FREEDOM PANELS!

Holy balls does krylon fusion stink, granted I put six coats on cuz I should have gone matte black from the get go, but jeez.

I'd recommend painting in a garage, then after 30 minutes leave them out in the hot sun for like a week. It's been 60 hrs since painting and they're still giving off a bit of an odor in my jeep, not too bad, but I hope it goes away fully. I had them sitting in the garage under a 1500 watt infrared heater for 48 hours with a fan, still smell.

Had a good rain this morning, the panels and sound assassin strips do quiet things down a bit. Poked my head into the rear seats it's definitely louder back there. NEAT MY ALMOST $900 HEADLINERS ARE FUNCTIONAL, AND FASHIONABLE!

I think I'll need to be buried in this Jeep when I die. Beats sitting in a plywood box for eternity. :CWL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO