Future of the Gladiator

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Except by those who use their Jeeps for off road use, but hey who wants to do that !!
I get it, I traded a JKRHR on my Gladiator. Absolutely beyond any doubt more capable and useful off road.

Notwithstanding that, they don't sell very many.

Reality at times sucks.
Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon; 2015 Ram Laramie
I think this is a very intriguing thread and koodoos for starting it!

In my opinion, I think the J6 will be produced. If not in a two door as shown in Moab it will be an extended cab. Either way, lifestyle or whatever you need to have a 6 foot bed configuration in this market.
jeep-j6-concept_100697084_h.jpg

That said, I also think it is a reasonable point about the Ram Dakota filling the this slot for FCA. This could be the strategy that FCA employs. But it would still be too bad as the J6 has generated an awful lot of positive buzz and everyone who has seen it, loves it. And quite frankly the proportions of the J6 look much better than the 4 door Gladiator - plus obviously much better off-roading (break over angle) - just say'in....

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I think this is a very intriguing thread and koodoos for starting it!

In my opinion, I think the J6 will be produced. If not in a two door as shown in Moab it will be an extended cab. Either way, lifestyle or whatever you need to have a 6 foot bed configuration in this market.
jeep-j6-concept_100697084_h.jpg

That said, I also think it is a reasonable point about the Ram Dakota filling the this slot for FCA. This could be the strategy that FCA employs. But it would still be too bad as the J6 has generated an awful lot of positive buzz and everyone who has seen it, loves it. And quite frankly the proportions of the J6 look much better than the 4 door Gladiator - plus obviously much better off-roading (break over angle) - just say'in....
Im on another large non-jeep board and occasionally the Gladiator comes up in gen discussion. Nearly everyone there hates the gladiator as is but loves the 2dr version you posted. Most every comment I see is "you can buy a fullsize truck for that..."
The discussion is really a giant circle,
"its too big you cant offroad with it."
"its too small you cant haul anything with it."
As I see it, the vehicle is great at alot of things but not a master of any of it. I wouldnt buy a gladiator if i needed a tow rig, I wouldnt buy it to be an offroad only rig. But Im glad it can still do both well.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
a lowrider version is in the works for sure.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
The J6 is my dream and I hope they make it one day. I remember reading that it's actually based on the JLU frame, not the JT frame, which means it probably wouldn't be too hard to Frankenstein your own J6 together if you find the right shop.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
As I see it, the vehicle is great at a lot of things but not a master of any of it.
Disagree. There is no more capable off-road pickup than the Gladiator. The Power Wagon and Raptor are both quite capable, but their size is a real deficit on the trail. The ZR2/Bison is a terrific truck, but articulation is fundamentally limited by its IFS.

For a pick-up currently on sale, the JTR is the off-road master.

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im on another large non-jeep board and occasionally the Gladiator comes up in gen discussion. Nearly everyone there hates the gladiator as is but loves the 2dr version you posted. Most every comment I see is "you can buy a fullsize truck for that..."
The discussion is really a giant circle,
"its too big you cant offroad with it."
"its too small you cant haul anything with it."
As I see it, the vehicle is great at alot of things but not a master of any of it. I wouldnt buy a gladiator if i needed a tow rig, I wouldnt buy it to be an offroad only rig. But Im glad it can still do both well.
You make a lot of really good points.

Its just that for me - I don't need a crew cab truck and I refuse to lay out all that money - even for a Gladiator Sport - for a truck configuration I won't use. Where I do need space is in the bed - a six foot bed would make all the difference. But I have come to accept how stubborn the decision makers at Jeep can be. So if the J6 or something like it is never built, I will either go to the 2021 Dakota or another brand that makes the truck I need...

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The J6 is my dream and I hope they make it one day. I remember reading that it's actually based on the JLU frame, not the JT frame, which means it probably wouldn't be too hard to Frankenstein your own J6 together if you find the right shop.
Actually the J6 is a very capable truck even though it is a concept - it can tow 7,000 lbs and haul over 1,100 lbs even though it is in fact based upon a JLU frame. I hope they make it but who know.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
You make a lot of really good points.

Its just that for me - I don't need a crew cab truck and I refuse to lay out all that money - even for a Gladiator Sport - for a truck configuration I won't use. Where I do need space is in the bed - a six foot bed would make all the difference. But I have come to accept how stubborn the decision makers at Jeep can be. So if the J6 or something like it is never built, I will either go to the 2021 Dakota or another brand that makes the truck I need...
It's not that they're stubborn, they're just realistic about how many they'd actually sell. Single cab trucks are pretty much non-existent outside of fleet sales, so if there are no fleet sales, there's almost zero reason to make a single cab these days as the general public just doesn't buy them. The Gladiator is already a bit of a niche product, so a single cab would be a niche within a niche. They'd have to charge the same or more than the 4 door to make it worth it.

Look at the sales rate of the 2 door Wrangler, and that still has a back seat.

Sponsored

2021Buyer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not that they're stubborn, they're just realistic about how many they'd actually sell. Single cab trucks are pretty much non-existent outside of fleet sales, so if there are no fleet sales, there's almost zero reason to make a single cab these days as the general public just doesn't buy them. The Gladiator is already a bit of a niche product, so a single cab would be a niche within a niche. They'd have to charge the same or more than the 4 door to make it worth it.

Look at the sales rate of the 2 door Wrangler, and that still has a back seat.
We own a 2018 Rubicon JL Two door and love it. I understand what you're saying but why show the J6? Why even go to the trouble of developing it?

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I predict different paint colors & stickers.
Cheapest to change-

OP
OP
RavensEyeOffroad

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
We own a 2018 Rubicon JL Two door and love it. I understand what you're saying but why show the J6? Why even go to the trouble of developing it?
honestly. I bet they do it to just see how much buzz something will generate. Humans are pretty nostalgic creatures, me included. We all think back to what was great "back in the day" and sometimes want that in a modern version. We do it with music, vehicles I cant think of much that I dont look back and and say "man, this stuff nowadays sucks." I think alot of folks thought the Ford Ranger would be that nostalgic vehicle, midsized, fairly reliable, extended cab etc. But nope its as big as an f150 almost so why make it so similar ya know?
It is all fun to speculate about. I dont think they will make a 2dr glad but I wouldnt rule it out entirely.