Sponsored

Engine replacement needed after 2K miles

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
Yep, I went in yesterday and picked up my loaner. I asked for a bit more detail and they said it was Hydro-locked. Most likely from the head gasket. It never overheated or showed other signs of issues other than the times I mentioned in my original post. Two things interesting I noticed driving my loaner, a Hella-Yella JL Sport (3K miles). 1) Loose Steering - Super loose steering on the JL. My JTR has the loose steering and wandering, but man, this JL I think has way more slop/play in the steering wheel. 2) Gas mileage - My JTR was averaging 16.5mpg. The JL sport is averaging 24mpg! I hope my replacement engine will help improve my gas consumption.
Liquid locked is only from a blown headgasket or crack in the head, or at least as far as I'm aware. Probably the gasket, since based on your original post it appears the issue got progressively worse. A crack in the head usually happens and just stays that way. I would demand a whole new engine if they try to tell you they want to fix it. There is a possibility the rod could have been ever so slightly bent when trying to crank it with the cylinder full of coolant.

On the gas mileage, is the JL the 4cyl turbo or the V6? Also is it the 2 door? A 50% increase in mileage is a crazy increase. Even with the JL being about 400lb lighter than the JT. Is that mpg from manual calculation or what the dash says? I've yet to own a car that actually calculates the average mpg per tank accurately. My manual calculations at each fill up are always 10-15% different from what the car says.
Sponsored

OP
OP

thepriest555

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Liquid locked is only from a blown headgasket or crack in the head, or at least as far as I'm aware. Probably the gasket, since based on your original post it appears the issue got progressively worse. A crack in the head usually happens and just stays that way. I would demand a whole new engine if they try to tell you they want to fix it. There is a possibility the rod could have been ever so slightly bent when trying to crank it with the cylinder full of coolant.

On the gas mileage, is the JL the 4cyl turbo or the V6? Also is it the 2 door? A 50% increase in mileage is a crazy increase. Even with the JL being about 400lb lighter than the JT. Is that mpg from manual calculation or what the dash says? I've yet to own a car that actually calculates the average mpg per tank accurately. My manual calculations at each fill up are always 10-15% different from what the car says.
I assumed it was the 3.6L but turns out the loaner (4 door) is actually the 4cyl turbo. I guess that explains the difference in gas mileage. I didn't realize there was that much of a difference between the two.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Apples to apples, the 2.0L engine gets the same or slightly worse fuel economy than the 3.6L. It also has myriad other "features" that will become problematic over time like coolant lines running under the vehicle, 48V battery system and wiring, multiple cooling systems, etc. And it costs more. And it requires more frequent maintenance and plug changes. I can understand why Jeep didn't offer that in the truck.

The difference in fuel efficiency between a JL and a JT with a bad engine is due to weight, aero, and the fact that the JT has a bad engine. It's not a 2.0L vs. 3.6L issue.

2.0MPG.jpg

3.6MPG.jpg

FWoggy

First Name
Fredric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
retired
My JT is going in next week to have the rocker arms and cams replaced. For engine noise and bad gas mileage.
How did your repair go. I just got notice from the service manager that I have a cam that needs replacement. Only indication was a check engine light. I am beginning to worry.

Captain Muskie

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 JLUS
Occupation
Steelworker
Brought mine to the dealer 2 weeks ago.i could hear a ticking noise at around 2000rpm with doors off or windows down.no other problems cel ess etc.they removed oil filter and said it was full of metal pieces.ordered a new motor the same day it came in Friday afternoon 2 weeks total.but now the technician that does those jobs may or may not be out on quarantine. Dealer wont say to protect privacy of technicians. 4400 miles :swear:
Sponsored