Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Simple fix for the wipers. Wranglers have been known for their amazing heaters. Throw it on the window defroster setting and your wipers should never ice up. At least they never did on my TJ or JK. Still waiting on my Gladiator to find out.

For the doors, watch the wind. Park the truck with the driver side on the downwind side. Helps keep the snow from dropping on your seat when you open the door as well.

For the bed, if it's not big enough to require the bed, use the floor of the back of the cab. Avoid bed till Spring. See above about parking.

And for the lights, get some aftermarket HIDs. Will melt through snow and ice like a blowtorch.
Thanks some good suggestions here.

Does anyone know what the soft top crew does come winter? How do they deal with the ice freezing to the tops?
Sponsored

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Agreed in most of your winter related issues that a lot of that will happen with any vehicle. I am curious however, with all the "hybrid" spray waxes and what not, would it help to spray all the weather stripping all over? Not so much an issue as little annoying things I've noticed, but when snow melts on mine, and then freezes at night, the squeaks, rattles, ticks, sifting type noises from the hardtop is fairly irritating. (turn up the radio...yea yea, i get it...haha) But maybe the slick layer of spray wax will help keep the melted snow from really bonding to the weather stripping when it refreezes? (like turtle wax seal and shine - i used this for the first time on the exterior and was really surprised at how slippery it kept everything feeling)

On another note, this is common with any vehicle i've owned with any sort of abs or traction control system, but sometimes i like to drift in an empty parking lot and do some donuts. Today was my first snow, and even with TCS button turned off, there was still a slight amount of traction control kicking in from time to time. During this situation, my headlights noticeably flicker. I do have a tazer mini on the way so i can completely kill these bad driver aids during my playing in the snow, so hopefully that solves that issue. But i am kind of curious if anyone else experiences the flickering headlights anytime tcs kicks in?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'd try things on the weatherstrip - maybe not waxes yet but there's still the aids to clean and make such things ready for show and they have silicone in them - meaning they should be slippery and perhaps water not stick. Any weatherstrip cleaner with silicone.
Your post reminded me of my first wife - limited slip differentials are fine - but they tend to go sideways and not be so great on ice - I had an AMX with limited slip and we pulled into a shopping center parking lot one evening about closing time and she requested some "donuts". Man, could we make that car swing circles. I got dizzy. But then those cars sit LOW so had it gained traction really sudden-like there was zero danger of rolling it.
Interesting the flickering lights when the TC comes into play - perhaps it's the anti-lock brakes being pulsed to keep a wheel turning instead of locking up and that's quite a bit of power being used? Just guessing.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Diamondback recommends treating the weatherstripping on their cover and the bed rails with Armor All prior to winter and to maintain the sealing surfaces with additional applications as needed throughout winter. I never thought of using Armor All for that purpose but we just got our first blast of winter yesterday and I had no issues opening my tailgate due to it freezing to the cover.

I would think treating the weatherstripping on the doors of the truck could help in the same way?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's what I've used since the mid-70s and will now on this truck. I never figured on the tail gate freezing to the cover seal so didn't do anything on this truck. I will now.
I keep a spray bottle of it in my car show "kit", a tub of stuff I carry like tire cleaner, touch-up materials, black chassis paint and so on. I use it on the interior to make things look clean and fresh and on the door gaskets and seals of the show cars.
Maybe I'll buy a small bottle to keep in this truck LOL - since I had to force the tail gate open yesterday morning. That way I can keep the gaskets slick.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Silicone spray on the door weatherstripping. Leave wipers up before bed so you don't have to pry them off the windshield the next morning. WD-40 on the headlights to prevent ice/snow buildup.

I actually got to a point before I had a garage to park in where I'd cover the Jeep with a tarp. Took 30 seconds and the next morning I'd yank the tarp off and head to work. NO scraping, thawing, etc.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How would RainX work on the headlights?
I won't tarp it because around here it's windy much of the time - I've seen too many paint finishes wrecked.

I have more vehicles than I have garage space for - finally got my WJ inside - barely, after selling my 70 but the JT still has to sit out.
I have a windshield cover Dad had in his garage that slips under the wipers and you put the ends in the door opening and close the door on it and there are strong magnets at the top. It helps prevent wipers stuck on the glass, helps reduce the door freezing a bit and means there's no ice on the glass. Not perfect but it helps.

The bigger issues that started this was on the road ice build-up.
I've found RainX helps on my wife's Grand Cherokee because the ice and water don't stick or stay on the glass - tiny beads roll right off.
I use it on show cars and rarely ever have to turn wipers on (old-school two speed wipers are annoying this way I don't need to even turn them on)

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE

JCJeep1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ 37" MT Long Arm 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 2020 StingGrey Gladiator Sport S Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks some good suggestions here.

Does anyone know what the soft top crew does come winter? How do they deal with the ice freezing to the tops?
I only run soft tops haven't needed a hardtop in 20 years. I use a broom for cleaning top off - Push off the top stuff with no pressure. If I warm the jeep up in driveway - tends to break any adhesion to the top from ice or snow - comes right off. This bed cover thing now is gonna have to take some thought - Still used a soft broom but since it doesn't warm up - the premium tends to freeze. Sunny day following cleans it up - but still some ice scale.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm curious about these... Has anyone in the forum used these?

I'm afraid I don't get the joke - why 2 sets for LEDs?
He means a second set for the HEADLIGHTS because LED headlights don't run hot enough to remove the snow..........
Sounds like Canadian humor to me LOL

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Silicone spray on the door weatherstripping. Leave wipers up before bed so you don't have to pry them off the windshield the next morning. WD-40 on the headlights to prevent ice/snow buildup.

I actually got to a point before I had a garage to park in where I'd cover the Jeep with a tarp. Took 30 seconds and the next morning I'd yank the tarp off and head to work. NO scraping, thawing, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Frostguard-W...t=&hvlocphy=9002457&hvtargid=pla-837671404711
I have a frost guard windshield cover. Has elastic straps that slip over the mirrors to keep it in place and a flap to lock it into the door jamb. The sides have sticks in the edge to keep it flat on the windshield. After a heavy snow you can sweep off most of the snow and just pull it off with the rest, leaving a clear windshield with no scraping required it’s long enough to cover the wiper trough so they stay ice free as well. Not sure if it fits the JT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.amazon.com/Frostguard-W...t=&hvlocphy=9002457&hvtargid=pla-837671404711
I have a frost guard windshield cover. Has elastic straps that slip over the mirrors to keep it in place and a flap to lock it into the door jamb. The sides have sticks in the edge to keep it flat on the windshield. After a heavy snow you can sweep off most of the snow and just pull it off with the rest, leaving a clear windshield with no scraping required it’s long enough to cover the wiper trough so they stay ice free as well. Not sure if it fits the JT.
Hey that's better than what I have....... thanks. Will look into it. Right now my truck is vulnerable because my lean-to is open on the side and ends.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
because of the way the defrost ducts are set up in the wrangler, I have experienced the edges of windshield not clearing. for my JT am gonna see how the plugs work in the center defrost vents.. the heated wipers have good reviews.. they are pricey though...
Sponsored