First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Spent a few days in Big Bend Ranch State Park and National Park with a few friends. I had the only Gladiator, and we also had a JL and two Toyotas, a 4Runner and a Tacoma. If you subscribe to Overland Journal, then you may recognize those Toys from the latest issue, where they were featured in an article on the Arkansas Ozarks written by one of the folks traveling with me ...

Passing through Black Gap (A Jeep Honor Badge trail) ...
Big Bend Explorations, Jan 20, 5_4579, Mark's Gladiator on Black Gap.jpg

Day 1 video, includes drive through Pinto Canyon, then out to Guale 1 and 2 on Big Bend Ranch State Park ...

Day 2 video, from Guale campsites to Tres Papalotes, then up Road to Nowhere in El Silitario ...

Day 3 video, from Tres Papalotes, along Hwy 170 to Big Bend National Park in search of a campsite ...

Day 4 video, River Road East, Glenn Springs Rd, Black Gap Rd, River Road West, Old Maverick Rd. Includes Mariscal Mine and Santa Elena Canyon. Trip portion of video is 21 minutes long, followed by a studio chat where I discuss some backstory on the trip, as well as my new (to my channel's subscribers) Gladiator ...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Going there in a couple of weeks

20200105_123012.jpg
The national park should now be taking backcountry campsite reservations, if that's in your plans.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
Headed there on Sunday 3/22 for a week. It’s been a while since I ran Black Gap, and that was in an FJ (much smaller). Any recommendations in the Gladiator?

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Headed there on Sunday 3/22 for a week. It’s been a while since I ran Black Gap, and that was in an FJ (much smaller). Any recommendations in the Gladiator?
There may be a couple places where you could drag tail if you hit it aggressively, so beware of that. Unless someone went to a lot of work, the Black Gap shelf is filled with rocks. The videos should give you a good idea what it's now like. If you last went many years ago, the part of Black Gap with the great off-camber is no more. Trail has been moved over so you don't experience that anymore. :-(

From an older video (adjusted to level horizon) ...
Image1.jpg

Sponsored

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
There may be a couple places where you could drag tail if you hit it aggressively, so beware of that. Unless someone went to a lot of work, the Black Gap shelf is filled with rocks. The videos should give you a good idea what it's now like. If you last went many years ago, the part of Black Gap with the great off-camber is no more. Trail has been moved over so you don't experience that anymore. :-(

From an older video (adjusted to level horizon) ...
Image1.jpg
Thanks. I'm running a 4.5" lift on 38" tires, so my rear bumper should be about 7" higher than stock with a better departure angle...hopefully that will help with challenging exits!

OP
OP
Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. I'm running a 4.5" lift on 38" tires, so my rear bumper should be about 7" higher than stock with a better departure angle...hopefully that will help with challenging exits!
You shouldn't have any problem. If you were to travel the route we did in the state park, be prepared for trail rash.

jimgrains51

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Gladiator
Occupation
Marketing
Awesome videos! Im still planning my trip to Big Bend. Ive doing some research online and Ive been asking questions on other forums. Seeings your videos makes me giddy and excited. Thanks for sharing.

BrazosGladiator

First Name
Jamey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Sales
Spent a few days in Big Bend Ranch State Park and National Park with a few friends. I had the only Gladiator, and we also had a JL and two Toyotas, a 4Runner and a Tacoma. If you subscribe to Overland Journal, then you may recognize those Toys from the latest issue, where they were featured in an article on the Arkansas Ozarks written by one of the folks traveling with me ...

Passing through Black Gap (A Jeep Honor Badge trail) ...
Big Bend Explorations, Jan 20, 5_4579, Mark's Gladiator on Black Gap.jpg

Day 1 video, includes drive through Pinto Canyon, then out to Guale 1 and 2 on Big Bend Ranch State Park ...

Day 2 video, from Guale campsites to Tres Papalotes, then up Road to Nowhere in El Silitario ...

Day 3 video, from Tres Papalotes, along Hwy 170 to Big Bend National Park in search of a campsite ...

Day 4 video, River Road East, Glenn Springs Rd, Black Gap Rd, River Road West, Old Maverick Rd. Includes Mariscal Mine and Santa Elena Canyon. Trip portion of video is 21 minutes long, followed by a studio chat where I discuss some backstory on the trip, as well as my new (to my channel's subscribers) Gladiator ...
Great videos! It looks like you all had a blast. I am having trouble finding where you entered BBRSP on the first day leaving Marfa. There appear to be two ways to get to Guale 1 and I can't tell which your group used. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored