Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin

Related press release:

FCA Employee Health and Safety a Priority as Company Prepares to Restart North American Production Operations
  • Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) laser focused on protecting employees, families and communities
  • Best practices from FCA plants in China and Italy helping guide North American safety protocols
  • More than 57 million square feet of production floor cleaned and disinfected
  • Thorough daily cleaning schedules to be instituted to maintain enhanced levels of cleanliness and disinfection
  • Temperature checks and daily health self-screening required for all employees and visitors
  • Nearly 17,000 workstations analyzed for social distancing with more than 4,700 requiring redesign or modification
  • Staggered start times, increased break and lunch times implemented to increase social distancing
  • Installing thermal imaging cameras as added safety check
  • Masks and safety glasses to be required personal protection equipment
  • New safety protocols and procedures communicated in Return to Work package mailed to nearly 47,000 represented employees in the U.S. and Canada
May 12, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - As Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) prepares to resume its North American manufacturing operations, the Company has developed and is implementing a comprehensive program of enhanced safety measures to protect employees, their families and the surrounding communities from the spread and transmission of COVID-19 when the plants reopen.

“Above everything else, our top priority has always been to do what is right for our employees,” Mike Manley, FCA CEO, said. “We have worked closely with the unions to establish protocols that will ensure our employees feel safe at work and that every step possible has been taken to protect them.

“We have drawn on our collective global expertise and best practices to rethink our production processes to put in place comprehensive protocols to keep our workforce safe,” Manley said. “There is no question that coming to work will look and feel different. I have now visited several of our Detroit-area facilities, met with our teams and walked the floor. I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank all of our colleagues who have done an incredible job putting in place safety protocols to protect our people. Thank you all.”

Since closing its plants in the U.S., Canada and Mexico on March 18, FCA has been working to put in place best practices that have enabled the restart of operations at its facilities in China and Italy. Aligned with World Health Organization (WHO), Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommendations, these robust protocols, along with the actions employees will be required to take to safeguard themselves and others, were communicated as part of a Return to Work package mailed to nearly 47,000 U.S. and Canadian represented employees. Mexico will share the same information through in-person training.

FCA is implementing layers of protection to combat the spread and transmission of COVID-19. This includes cleaning, disinfecting and social distancing, but most importantly, ensuring the wellness of everyone entering an FCA facility. With that in mind, the Company will require its employees, as well as all visitors, to complete a Daily Health Risk Assessment, which consists of:
  • Taking their temperature less than two hours before reporting to work or visiting the site with either a Company-provided temperature strip or personal thermometer
  • Completing a self-screening questionnaire and turning it in upon entry
As an added measure of safety, the Company is installing thermal imaging cameras to verify what employees and visitors have self-reported.

Consistent with the direction of governmental agencies, employees will be required to wear Company-provided masks and safety glasses at all times when in the facility. Employees will also be asked to wear gloves and safety glasses when applying or cleaning with disinfectant spray. Visitors and contractors to any FCA facility will be required to provide their own personal protection equipment for entry.

During the production pause, FCA completed a significant number of cleaning and social distancing activities to prepare its facilities for when operations resume. These include:
  • Cleaning and Disinfecting:
    • More than 57 million square feet of manufacturing floor space cleaned and disinfected
    • Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting schedules developed for common and high traffic areas, including turnstiles, restrooms, cafeterias, locker rooms and conference rooms
    • 135 hand-held foggers distributed for more efficient cleaning of these areas
    • Provided cleaning supplies at all workstations so surfaces can be cleaned and disinfected
    • Installed more than 2,000 hand sanitizer stations across all facilities
    • Daily audits to be conducted to ensure new standards are followed
  • Social Distancing:
    • More than 17,000 workstations analyzed and evaluated for adherence to six-foot social distancing guidelines
    • More than 4,700 job areas and workstations redesigned or protective barriers installed to allow for more social distancing
    • Installed plexiglass partitions and created visual management guides for social distancing in break areas and cafeterias, as well as throughout all buildings
    • Staggered start times and added time to breaks and lunch to minimize large gatherings
    • Suspended meetings of more than eight employees at a time and transitioned to virtual meetings, wherever possible
    • Put new approval protocols in place for facility visitors
Upon the restart of production, FCA is adopting a new level of daily cleaning and disinfecting, in accordance with WHO, CDC and OSHA recommendations, at all manufacturing locations in order to maintain the enhanced levels of cleanliness and sanitation. In addition to increasing the number of times per shift that high-traffic, high-use areas, as well as common touchpoints, are cleaned and disinfected, 10 minutes per shift will be dedicated to cleaning and disinfecting employee workstations.

Signage promoting the themes of health and safety have been posted throughout all facilities to remind employees and visitors of proper protocols related to cleaning, social distancing, required personal protection equipment and handwashing or sanitizing. Employees also will participate in small-group training sessions on the new policies and procedures as part of their first-day activities.

“We have taken a ‘belt and suspenders’ approach to mitigating the spread of this virus by implementing lots of layers of protection,” Scott Garberding, FCA's Global Chief Manufacturing Officer, said. “You are a key part of successfully resuming operations. In this new environment, we all need to take responsibility for our own safety and that of the people around us. An effective start-up will require detailed understanding, teaching, coaching and patience from all of us.”

FCA will continue to monitor and audit conditions at all facilities, as well as the latest information on COVID-19 from federal and state agencies, to implement new safeguards and procedures as needed.
Sponsored

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
Just finished my first week back at an FCA plant since March 20. It's a new way to build vehicles on an assembly line. Alot of new procedures and elements to consider now.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Just finished my first week back at an FCA plant since March 20. It's a new way to build vehicles on an assembly line. Alot of new procedures and elements to consider now.
If you returned... Are they already building the gladiator again?

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
If you returned... Are they already building the gladiator again?
I'm responsible for a team of workers, we were brought in a week early to help translate what management and the safety effort is doing into a format that actual human beings can work with.

My understanding is that the actual full workforce will return the week of the 18th where they will slowly...very slowly...attempt to start producing vehicles again. I would not be expect any tangible numbers of vehicles to leave any autoplant for a couple weeks. So, yes they are going to start building again but how many and how fast is hard to say. Our plant which usually builds 1400 vehicles a day is looking to be at half that by week's end May 22.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My understanding is that the actual full workforce will return the week of the 18th where they will slowly...very slowly...attempt to start producing vehicles again. I would not be expect any tangible numbers of vehicles to leave any autoplant for a couple weeks. So, yes they are going to start building again but how many and how fast is hard to say. Our plant which usually builds 1400 vehicles a day is looking to be at half that by week's end May 22.
Ugh. More waiting.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh. More waiting.
Yuuuup sounds like we will be waiting. It sucks, then again I don’t want to complain because I know that me getting my truck quick means you guys are on the line working with all this.

Keep us informed on this thread how it goes next week. If anything, it will be interesting to see how things transpire. Stay safe and good luck!

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Our plant which usually builds 1400 vehicles a day is looking to be at half that by week's end May 22.
Looking to be at 700 per day by the end of next week, or 700 total by the end of next week?

AZrolltide

First Name
Deante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave (soon)
I'm responsible for a team of workers, we were brought in a week early to help translate what management and the safety effort is doing into a format that actual human beings can work with.

Thanks for update. I am glad to hear you all are back at work but I hope you all stay safe and healthy without any hiccups during this pandemic situation.

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
Looking to be at 700 per day by the end of next week, or 700 total by the end of next week?
First off, I don't build the Gladiator but FCA's plan is roughly the same throughout all the plants. They're planning on a ramp up of numbers over a period of time depending on how the new protocols impact the production process. Every plant will be impacted differently. Our totals will be 700 per day, with a ramp up over a planned 2 months.

Basically, if you're waiting on a Gladiator to be built expect at least a 50% longer wait if not more.

The entire manufacturing process is built on a continuous line where everybody touches the product as it's built. Someone in that line gets some goop on a part, everybody pretty much gets gooped. Replace goop with a sneeze, sweat or whatever. Not to mention the places where 4 people are inside a vehicle at the same time.

Sponsored

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
Dear lord! I just put my deposit on a build two days ago. If what your saying is true about 50% longer wait times, I might be waiting Six months for my Gladiator...

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
The Honda plant I work in Alabama is only running 120 units per shift on my side(line 2) until further notice. I think line 1 is moving them out a little more. I think all auto manufacturers are doing this because for one parts are taking longer to get for builds and there's over a 50 percent reduction of people buying vehicles due to this. It wouldn't make sense to build them and they sit in lots not being sold. I wouldn't expect production to go back into full swing until late fall or possibly next year.

Squelch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi Gladiator, Energica Ribelle, Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a Gladiator a few weeks ago but I'm perfectly content to wait however long it takes if it means that y'all are safe and you get to go home to your families. Ignore the people complaining about a longer wait - a truck isn't worth someone's life or livelihood.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Dear lord! I just put my deposit on a build two days ago. If what your saying is true about 50% longer wait times, I might be waiting Six months for my Gladiator...
It’s not going to be six months. The entire process could take as long as 8 weeks now as opposed to closer to 4 weeks. Don’t forget special orders take priority on the line so they build those first to knock them out, especially when you’re nearing year end model year time.
@Squelch careful how you word that, because that’s coming off like we are all bitching while you would rather have workers be safe. I have not seen a single person complain about not getting their truck because of safety precautions that are slowing things down. There are many people on here who have expressed excitement and can’t wait to get their truck (completely understandable). but no one has complained. Hell even if there are people on here who think it’s blown out of proportion no one would be dumb enough on here to be the one that says they should be back to work or something!
We’ve all said we hope they are safe. I for one applaud them, I couldn’t wear that damn mask that long!

RatZer0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JT
Occupation
Manufacturing Stellantis
It’s not going to be six months. The entire process could take as long as 8 weeks now as opposed to closer to 4 weeks. Don’t forget special orders take priority on the line so they build those first to knock them out, especially when you’re nearing year end model year
Yup. If you ordered a Gladiator, it should be placed in a priority slot in the system. Depending on how far ahead the plant generates vehicles, usually about 2-3 days of full production any customer order will be placed into the system at that point. Keep in mind, it will be placed in the system in the order that it was made meaning if someone else ordered before you it gets made first. Whenever the Gladiator model year ends will be the deadline for placing a custom order in the queue.
Sponsored