Sponsored

What winch?

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
No, this isn't right. The pulley doubles the total work capacity, but the load on the line doesn't change.
1590167805450.png
I stand corrected :blush:. Physics class was a long time ago...:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL::facepalm:
Sponsored

bheath-atx

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electronic Manufacturing
Just installed a Smittybilt X20 12K with Synthetic Rope... 1/4 the cost of the comparable WARN...
w4.jpg
w3.jpg
I'm looking at installing the 10K version. What winch plate did you use?

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Only once did I spool out the entire line, and it was to rip out an old oak tree lol. I’ve never had to spool out more than half of my line for actual off-roading. I guess it depends on where you are, here in FL most trails are lined with trees everywhere.
Unless you are me the first time I didn't have a long enough winch line was in Ocala N.F. :facepalm: but for most you are correct, but winch line extension are easy to store and not to expensive.
Now on the winch size needed the old norm was 1 1/2 times weight of vehicle. The military cheaped out at first and had 6k winches on HUMMVE. Now everyone is going "big" more for show than need, but on new Jeep's it might not be a bad idea... Lower AMP draw, the big reason I got a new winch and a 12 k one, next part that was touched on what is the winch mounted on rating? That's really important!! Will I ever need 12 k pulling power not likely if so I will be using a snatch block(s) why to spread the load out.
Use of snatch block winch to it and back to your vehicle double capacity - 10% for friction loss per military recovery manual. I'll try to photo of pages when I get a chance to.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you are me the first time I didn't have a long enough winch line was in Ocala N.F. :facepalm: but for most you are correct, but winch line extension are easy to store and not to expensive.
Now on the winch size needed the old norm was 1 1/2 times weight of vehicle. The military cheaped out at first and had 6k winches on HUMMVE. Now everyone is going "big" more for show than need, but on new Jeep's it might not be a bad idea... Lower AMP draw, the big reason I got a new winch and a 12 k one, next part that was touched on what is the winch mounted on rating? That's really important!! Will I ever need 12 k pulling power not likely if so I will be using a snatch block(s) why to spread the load out.
Use of snatch block winch to it and back to your vehicle double capacity - 10% for friction loss per military recovery manual. I'll try to photo of pages when I get a chance to.
Great info, where are located? I’ve hit up Ocala a few times. Jeeptoberfest there is great too.
I’ll be buying a 12k winch, selling the synthetic line It comes with, and buying my own synthetic line. I already have a snatch block, extension, tree strap and standard straps.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Picking up the Apex today for $400, can't wait
Any reviews on this? I’ve been interested in the badlands brand. I also saw that harbor freight just put out some synthetic line too. Anyone have expertise, experience or thoughts related to that?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
No, this isn't right. The pulley doubles the total work capacity, but the load on the line doesn't change.
1590167805450.png
Your name must be Ed Zachary... Because you are EdZachary right. It doubles the overall strength, but straight line is still whatever the winch is rated for. So my Warn 9.5XP is rated @ 9,500 lbs. straight line pull...Add a snatchblock to the tree-side and run it directly back to the front bumper, and it will handle something that holds up to 19,000 lbs. of dead weight, because the pulley eases the load, but the winch will still only pull @ 9,500 lbs. The snatchblock just helps increase the ability to pull something heavier or with more force being exerted upon it (mud suction, etc...) than what the winch is rated for.

Last edited:

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
A 10k winch should be perfect for the gladiator. Really for the price as other guys have said on here you can't beat the smittybilt winches, they are a solid unit. In my experience as seems to happen with a lot of big brands after they've been around forever (Warn) they start to live off of their name and start to create a subpar product for the same price they've always charged.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Any reviews on this? I’ve been interested in the badlands brand. I also saw that harbor freight just put out some synthetic line too. Anyone have expertise, experience or thoughts related to that?
I haven't got it yet, sadly they are sold out of this winch at all harbor freights within 200 miles of me and backordered for almost 6 weeks. I may end up with a 10000lb Smittybilt one, or I also talked to a buddy who recommended a X-bull brand he's been using for a little over a year. It's a cheap brand but he swears by it. Says it only weighs 60lbs also. I looked it up and it's around $319 on amazon, not a lot of reviews on it or videos

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Badland Apex 12k, Warn winch plate and Poison Spyder spacer plates.
Jeep Gladiator What winch? 4F68008F-2BDB-4411-97C7-9F122CF2F440_1_201_a
Jeep Gladiator What winch? 4F68008F-2BDB-4411-97C7-9F122CF2F440_1_201_a
The black coil wrap you got going around the hook ups to the control box, is that how it comes or did you add that. Just asking because I like how that looks, way better than my last Badlands winch and some of the others I have saw for sale.

Racer_X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at installing the 10K version. What winch plate did you use?
I've got the steel bumper, Warn low guard, and the Smittybuilt 12k winch. I used the warn winch plate. You'll need longer bolts for the fairlead+license plate bracket. In my research I read the Rugged Ridge ones are prone to bending, and the Warn was less than $50 more. Plus we can use the Quadratec forum discount.

DeepSea

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT LE, T120, JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Diver
The black coil wrap you got going around the hook ups to the control box, is that how it comes or did you add that. Just asking because I like how that looks, way better than my last Badlands winch and some of the others I have saw for sale.
That’s how it came. It seems like a pretty solid unit and install was easy thanks to Sorbs write up and pictures.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That’s how it came. It seems like a pretty solid unit and install was easy thanks to Sorbs write up and pictures.
Thanks, I pulled the trigger. I had to order it but I'm happy with the choice

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the steel bumper, Warn low guard, and the Smittybuilt 12k winch. I used the warn winch plate. You'll need longer bolts for the fairlead+license plate bracket. In my research I read the Rugged Ridge ones are prone to bending, and the Warn was less than $50 more. Plus we can use the Quadratec forum discount.
Quadratec forum discount???
Sponsored