Sponsored

When will order banks open for Gladiator Diesel?

When will order banks open for JT Ecodiesel?

• Total voters

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
How sure are you in this statement - I am coming from an angle of asking only, no other 'tone' should be inserted here please ! :) - ?
I'm strictly speaking for the United States, not Australia! Jeep recently said that the release of the Gladiator EcoDiesel (for the U.S.) would be at the end of this calendar year. At this point, I'm going to speculate that the Gladiator can be ordered with an EcoDiesel starting as early as November; however, it will be a 2021 model. That's only speculation, but rest assured, Jeep is wanting to kick off 2021 bigly!
Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
I'm strictly speaking for the United States, not Australia!
Totally understand and thanks! It as just said that the engine would not fit in the JT at all, left nor right hand drive. I thought that was rubbish!

Jeep recently said that the release of the Gladiator EcoDiesel (for the U.S.) would be at the end of this calendar year.
Fantastic! That is awesome news! Thanks for the info, MUCH APPRECIATED! :)

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Totally understand and thanks! It as just said that the engine would not fit in the JT at all, left nor right hand drive.
There's been several Gladiator EcoDiesels seen running around being tested. So that alone debunks the myth that the engine won't fit.

You should ask them to explain why the EcoDiesel won't fit in the Gladiator if it fits in the Wrangler, which is the same engine bay. Common sense goes a long way.

Last edited:

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
But Jeep, they are treating the buying public like chumps!
Covid-19 sort of through a monkey wrench into all the planning for production, don't you think? I am sure they have had to re-order priorities for several reasons. not the least of which is staying solvent financially.

However, even in "normal" times it is common for car makers to tease the market in advance of bringing out a new product, to generate interest. That is their prerogative. For example FCA has been either fostering or at least not squashing rumors about a new Dakota for several years. I have been holding onto my 2004 Dakota in hopes they would bring it back. That is, until the Gladiator came out, then, goodbye Dakota!

A diesel Gladiator seems like a natural, and FCA has already said they intend to offer one. Perhaps the release date has not been officially given because it is not yet known when that is feasible under current conditions. Would you rather they promise then have to back off?

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Covid-19 sort of through a monkey wrench into all the planning for production, don't you think?
Before COVID-19, FCA was planning to slow-walk the EcoDiesel simply due to the fact that the plant in Italy can only produce so many engines at a given time. The plan was to release the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel first, then release the Wrangler EcoDiesel next, then release the Gladiator last. So, if engine production was an issue prior to COVI-19, then you can imagine how bad of an issue it was when the plant in Italy shutdown.

I ordered my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel on 3/3/2020. I still don't have my truck. So yes, plant delays can certainly throw a monkey wrench in meeting timelines. Postponing not only makes sense, but it was the inevitable. FCA said their priority was customer orders, so playing catch-up has been their focus. Their next focus will be filling empty inventory on some dealer lots.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Before COVID-19, FCA was planning to slow-walk the EcoDiesel simply due to the fact that the plant in Italy can only produce so many engines at a given time. The plan was to release the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel first, then release the Wrangler EcoDiesel next, then release the Gladiator last. So, if engine production was an issue prior to COVI-19, then you can imagine how bad of an issue it was when the plant in Italy shutdown.

I ordered my Ram 1500 EcoDiesel on 3/3/2020. I still don't have my truck. So yes, plant delays can certainly throw a monkey wrench in meeting timelines. Postponing not only makes sense, but it was the inevitable. FCA said their priority was customer orders, so playing catch-up has been their focus. Their next focus will be filling empty inventory on some dealer lots.
Makes total sense.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
There's been several Gladiator EcoDiesels seen running around being tested. So that alone debunks the myth that the engine won't fit.
That is some good info for the argument! Thanks!

You should ask them to explain why the EcoDiesel won't fit in the Gladiator if it fits in the Wrangler, which is the same engine bay. Common sense goes a long way.
They told me that it would not fit in the JT as the JT is 2" narrower than the JL! But with above, I see it is all a sales ploy!

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
Covid-19 ...
Totally agree, with all you had to say. But this is no excuse for no information, all Jeep needed to do was update the general public. At the very least, let the dealers know (and give them permission to disseminate this info) when customers are in the shop. Buying a AU$90,000 vehicle is a lot different to a AU$1,000 iPhone. By not giving the buying public information about your brand will push them on to other brands.

Jeep in Australia has a LOT to do to get some kind of decent name and this cloak and dagger way of doing business does not work here on big purchases. The internet also has given the buying public the a level the field in modern times with all the information and up-to-date stats.
Point-in-example, Jeep had the 'International Launch' of the JT in New Zealand at the beginning of January 2020, nearly 6 month after units were delivered in the USA! Does Jeep thing everyone outside the US lives in 'back-water, the world'? By the time the 'International Release' was done, Doug DeMuro had reviewed one and Tommy had done reviews on them. Then 6 months after the 'International Release', we can start to order them ... not get one delivered, order them! How do we know we can order them I hers you ask :))), because we, the buying public, have to talk to the dealerships and ask. The same dealerships that lie to out faces, because of the bad information from Jeep!

Jeep should educate their dealers and get the information into the public, just like Land Rover have done with the new Discovery!

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
You can also show them pictures. The internet is full of them:
Awesome pic, but in all fairness, that spesific one could be a JL ... ;)

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Awesome pic, but in all fairness, that spesific one could be a JL ... ;)
The two are very different, including the badging, taillight covers, and bumper. You need to get to know your Jeeps!

temp_hash-67576689db7e368daec327f7bb1f1bb4-jpg.jpg

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Jeep should educate their dealers and get the information into the public,
The problem isn't Jeep, the problem is the dealer. Most dealers don't have the passion that you and I have. For them, it's a job. I've never met anyone at a dealership who knew a fraction of what I know about their own products.

FCA actually makes public a lot of their information. They do it through media outlets, social media, interviews, open forums, press releases, Auto Shows, State Fairs, etc.

If you have a question, you can literally call/email FCA.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computer dude
If you have a question, you can literally call/email FCA.
You sir, are a genius! I was too busy moaning and not thinking that I didn't think to call Jeep! I have called them and they said diesel is being considered in Aus but they are waiting to see how the 3.6 goes first. Jeep believe it is just a matter of time (I assume minimum 2 years for us).

The problem isn't Jeep, the problem is the dealer.
I hear you mate!

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
The fact that the Jeep VP reaffirmed the “calendar year 2020“ promise For the release of the diesel when they did that video chat deal a few weeks back was reassuring for me, as that was a post-COVID comment. That said, I tend to agree it will be late in the year and a 2021 year model (which is probably better). I just hope we get the upgraded UConnect, but it sounds like the JL/JT are not near the head of the line for this upgrade.
Sponsored