Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Good point. And I would broaden it by saying, there aren't mechanics anymore, just parts changers.

When my Dakota blew the engine at 296,000 miles, my "mechanic" says "it has internal engine damage"; we have to replace the entire engine. OK, fine. I later asked him what had gone wrong (I was sure it was a thrown connecting rod), he did not know and apparently had no curiosity at all about it.
Exactly. My JL had an oil leak. I self diagnosed it as a rear main seal failure. The service manager said they don’t know why it’s leaking but could replace the rear main seal or “wait and see.” I asked them to replace it. That involved removing the transmission. After it was done, I asked the tech if he saw what went wrong with the seal or anything else. Response: “I just replaced like they told me to.” No curiosity like you said.
Sponsored

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
As an Adjunct Instructor, I have noted a complete lack of critical thinking skills and mental awareness at the college level of instruction. Most can parrot back facts and figures but cannot explain a simple, logical process. Sad fact of modern society-the phone is smarter than the operator.

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
No disrespect, but did you make a how-to video for experts only? This doesn't look like f*cking rocket science. Your hands are in the way.

C'mon man, all the info is there. Watch it again instead of getting your panties all bunched up.

I just did this. Adjusted about 30 degrees or so. it seems better but I only took a short test drive. I didnt want to turn it too much.

Thanks for the video!

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
No disrespect, but did you make a how-to video for experts only? This doesn't look like f*cking rocket science. Your hands are in the way.
How much Brandon tightened his is irrelevant. They are all going to be different. Some need no adjustment, some may need more than what's shown in his video and photo.

I tightened the gear lash on the steering box of a Mitsubishi I had when I was a teenager (worn and sloppy after about 100,000 miles.) It was a trial and error process. On the first try I tightened it too much and when I took it around the block, the steering wouldn't return to straight and center when I released the steering wheel. After about 3 tries, I had it dialed in and it steered like it was new again.

Great video, Brandon! I've got it bookmarked for when I adjust mine. Mine's not really not too bad, though.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How much Brandon tightened his is irrelevant. They are all going to be different. Some need no adjustment, some may need more than what's shown in his video and photo.

I tightened the gear lash on the steering box of a Mitsubishi I had when I was a teenager (worn and sloppy after about 100,000 miles.) It was a trial and error process. On the first try I tightened it too much and when I took it around the block, the steering wouldn't return to straight and center when I released the steering wheel. After about 3 tries, I had it dialed in and it steered like it was new again.

Great video, Brandon! I've got it bookmarked for when I adjust mine. Mine's not really not too bad, though.
Good post!

I had the same experience with a '70's something Volvo. Fixed it...took out the steering slop. Then I did another car but I hurried, adjusted too much. During the test drive I had no return to centre on the steering on first attempt, while driving a 1/4 mile or so. Went back, and set it right. Secret was to note the original position, then adjust a little bit at a time until I was happy with the steering. Took the slop out on those 2 cars. Both '70's Volvos.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
UPDATE:

My wife drove my truck today. And called me when she got to the store. She asked me, "what did you do to the truck." "It drives like my Grand Cherokee," she said. She was very excited for me because the day I brought it home, on stock tires, it was sloppy and I hated the drive that day. She and I loved the truck but the steering was so bad.

It wasnt just me. My wife is not a "Jeep Girl," she just wanted to drive it and not feel unsafe. This is huge for me and my family.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
UPDATE:

My wife drove my truck today. And called me when she got to the store. She asked me, "what did you do to the truck." "It drives like my Grand Cherokee," she said. She was very excited for me because the day I brought it home, on stock tires, it was sloppy and I hated the drive that day. She and I loved the truck but the steering was so bad.

It wasn't just me. My wife is not a "Jeep Girl," she just wanted to drive it and not feel unsafe. This is huge for me and my family.
A wife's confirmation of something you did well, without you pointing it out, is a great moment!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
A wife's confirmation of something you did well, without you pointing it out, is a great moment!
Exactly. I was hoping she would say something. I set her up. She almost left in her GC but I stopped her and threw her my keys. I told her, "go drive the truck and tell me if you can point out my latest modifications." She knew right away. The steering is fixed and I feel relieved.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I was warned that this would ruin my youtube career. LOL I dont have a youtube career. Not sure why they thought that warranted BLOCKING me on the Facebook JL page. I am not sponsored or cater to anyone. In the past that kind of freedom may have cost sponsorships, but I dont play that game. So this little vidoe sure has got some people really worked up.

I wish someone here with
Jeep Wrangler JL access would share the crap out of this video on their facebook page.

I had the owner of Synergy reach out to me for this video. Others have reached out and showed support for this after a small few JL owners jumped on my case for sharing this. Thank you!

Another youtube user did have a positive thing to share, that I would like to share with you.

"My dealer listened to me, asked to see the video, and with his service manager and technician viewing the video they decided to tune up the steering! Great news - appointment is tomorrow."

rickytam

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Gladiator
C'mon man, all the info is there. Watch it again instead of getting your panties all bunched up.

I just did this. Adjusted about 30 degrees or so. it seems better but I only took a short test drive. I didnt want to turn it too much.

Thanks for the video!
Any further updates on your test drive after fixing this? Any chance you can post a video?

Sponsored

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
I was warned that this would ruin my youtube career. LOL I dont have a youtube career. Not sure why they thought that warranted BLOCKING me on the Facebook JL page. I am not sponsored or cater to anyone. In the past that kind of freedom may have cost sponsorships, but I dont play that game. So this little vidoe sure has got some people really worked up.

I wish someone here with
Jeep Wrangler JL access would share the crap out of this video on their facebook page.

I had the owner of Synergy reach out to me for this video. Others have reached out and showed support for this after a small few JL owners jumped on my case for sharing this. Thank you!

Another youtube user did have a positive thing to share, that I would like to share with you.

"My dealer listened to me, asked to see the video, and with his service manager and technician viewing the video they decided to tune up the steering! Great news - appointment is tomorrow."
thank you for posting this solution. There is a 413 page discussion on the issue at JL Rubicon forum https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...els-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-413 and this solution was mentioned once by Carolina Custom Jeep guy on YouTube more than a year ago. I think Jeep got onto him and he took the video down. Others did though and experienced improvement. Some however lately posted that their slop came back after approximately 2k miles on the vehicle and they adjusted again. What are your thoughts on this regard. Could it be gears wearing out? I am so hopeful this is the solve as I had the issue for over two years.

Keller

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just did this and it helped noticeably. I ended up turning the screw about 90 degrees to get the wheel to my liking. My green mark was at 12 o-clock and I ended up with the mark on the screw at 3 o-clock when done.
My Gladiator has about 3500 miles on it and this has been a major annoyance since the day I brought the truck home so very happy!

Just wondering, how do you know if you’ve adjusted this to tight?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I just did this and it helped noticeably. I ended up turning the screw almost 45 degrees to get the wheel to my liking.
My Gladiator has about 3500 miles on it and this has been a major annoyance since the day I brought the truck home so very happy!

Just wondering, how do you know if you’ve adjusted this to tight?
It will bind and not self center after a turn.

22eley

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should have done this the day I brought it home. This is the one thing, more than anything, that I hated about my Jeep. This little fix took minutes to do but I put it off thinking I could throw Sector Shaft Braces Track Bars, controls arms, and Steering Stabilizers at it. Do this first.

Read disclaimer below before attempting this fix.

Supplement: Jun 18 2020
1st thing My wife said something is Wrong with the steering. we have had a flat in our Old jeep and she did not know! and she is right our 2020 Overland North edition has about a almost 2 inchs each way, those soft 18 inch tires dont help but after 3 thousand miles iam going to try this!. thanks john

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Great video.

This prompted me to want to learn a little more about how a steering gear box works and what is actually being adjusted. So with a little searching I found the video below. Obviously not a Gladiator gear box but the principle should be the same.

I think in an ideal scenario this adjustment would be done in conjunction with the over-center test, which basically defines the how much resistance you should get when the box is adjusted correctly. If I'm understanding the test correctly, it would be done with the drag link disconnected and the steering column disconnected, so that the only measured resistance is in the gear box. I haven't looked under my Jeep yet to see how feasible it would be to actually do the over-center test with the box installed in the vehicle (ie, clearance to get tools in there, etc)

Over-Center Test Procedure.jpg
Sponsored