Sponsored

DunnMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I don't understand why FCA treats this like some kind of voodoo black magic....it's just a steering box. In my early 20's when all I could afford was crappy, old cars it was pretty common to adjust the lash in the steering box.
Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Let me add some more food for thought. I hand built a steering system for my 1965 Shelby Cobra. They are built manual steer but I retrofitted a 93 mustang rack, pump, and made my own lines at a hydraulic store. In the system it called for a filter to be installed in the low pressure side AFTER the rack. Even Ford designed some wear after the rack. I still for the life of me, dont understand why we have reached a level of misplaced trust in our dealer techs to not allow them to fix this; all the while, save jeep thousands of complaints, wasted man hours, and bad press.
I adjusted a Volvo Pitman box successfully back in about '72. Second time I did it on another Volvo, I went a little too far, and it was immediately too tight--no return to centre; binding. Simple. I backed it off and adjusted it right. No harm done. Worked right for many many years.

Should be really easy for a mechanic to adjust the slop out of the Pitman box. However, they have to do it the way that they are instructed. Does FCA require parts to be replaced to honour a warranty claim? Will they pay for service if the only charge is for a mechanic's time? If they won't, then that may be why they replace the steering box.

Last edited:

bertio

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Occupation
IT
Let me add some more food for thought. I hand built a steering system for my 1965 Shelby Cobra. They are built manual steer but I retrofitted a 93 mustang rack, pump, and made my own lines at a hydraulic store. In the system it called for a filter to be installed in the low pressure side AFTER the rack. Even Ford designed some wear after the rack. I still for the life of me, dont understand why we have reached a level of misplaced trust in our dealer techs to not allow them to fix this; all the while, save jeep thousands of complaints, wasted man hours, and bad press.
It might be something as simple as the vendor who makes the steering will not warranty the part if it has been opened.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
Vehicle: 2020 Gladiator Overland - bone stock, under 1000 miles.

So I got a chance to try this adjustment yesterday. I will say that getting the adjuster to turn relative to the lock nut is extremely difficult. I even put some heat on it with a mini butane torch; though honestly I'm not sure I really got it hot enough. To break red locktite you need to get it to 500*+ F.

Honestly the first time I started putting things back together thinking I hadn't gotten it to move at all. It wasn't until I looked closer that I realized it had moved a little. (see the "during" picture). I went for a test drive with this adjustment and can say it made no difference at all.

I came back and gave it one more go. My fear was rounding off the hex in the adjuster. It's literally right at the point that you think you going to break something that it starts to move. In the end, I turned it roughly 90*. (see Final picture) ** This is also probably why Jeep isn't having techs make this adjustment.

Even with the final adjustment, it's only slightly better. Maybe a 10% change? Even then I'm trying to decide if it's actually better or I just want it to be better (like getting more hp from a throttle body spacer, haha)

I'll also add that a week prior I checked the torque spec on my gear box bolts (I had previously video'd that my gear box was flexing away from the frame). They were all loose. I started my torque wrench at 80 ft/lbs and all 4 bolts turned, so they were below 80 ft/lbs. I finished at the 99 ft/lb spec. It did not make any change in the steering looseness.

I had wife rock the steering wheel in the "loose" range while I inspected the front end. The pitman arm is moving slightly... is it in proper proportion to how much the steering wheel is moving? hard to say. The slight movement of the pitman arm is absorbed in the rest of the steering components so the wheels aren't turning. All the tie rod ends and adjusters etc are tight, nothing looked out of tolerance.

So I'm not sure what my final thoughts are. I'm nervous to keep moving the adjuster... mostly because it is sooo hard to turn and I'm worried about stripping the hex and then I'm stuck. I'm also not sure how my loose steering compares with everyone else. I've included a picture of my steering wheel. The two pieces of tape represent the range of free movement in the wheel but where the tires don't turn. I'd call it maybe 10 degrees? Can anyone else share a picture of how their steering compares?

Before.jpg

During.jpg

Final.jpg

Steering wheel.jpg

Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Vehicle: 2020 Gladiator Overland - bone stock, under 1000 miles.

So I got a chance to try this adjustment yesterday. I will say that getting the adjuster to turn relative to the lock nut is extremely difficult. I even put some heat on it with a mini butane torch; though honestly I'm not sure I really got it hot enough. To break red locktite you need to get it to 500*+ F.

Honestly the first time I started putting things back together thinking I hadn't gotten it to move at all. It wasn't until I looked closer that I realized it had moved a little. (see the "during" picture). I went for a test drive with this adjustment and can say it made no difference at all.

I came back and gave it one more go. My fear was rounding off the hex in the adjuster. It's literally right at the point that you think you going to break something that it starts to move. In the end, I turned it roughly 90*. (see Final picture) ** This is also probably why Jeep isn't having techs make this adjustment.

Even with the final adjustment, it's only slightly better. Maybe a 10% change? Even then I'm trying to decide if it's actually better or I just want it to be better (like getting more hp from a throttle body spacer, haha)

I'll also add that a week prior I checked the torque spec on my gear box bolts (I had previously video'd that my gear box was flexing away from the frame). They were all loose. I started my torque wrench at 80 ft/lbs and all 4 bolts turned, so they were below 80 ft/lbs. I finished at the 99 ft/lb spec. It did not make any change in the steering looseness.

I had wife rock the steering wheel in the "loose" range while I inspected the front end. The pitman arm is moving slightly... is it in proper proportion to how much the steering wheel is moving? hard to say. The slight movement of the pitman arm is absorbed in the rest of the steering components so the wheels aren't turning. All the tie rod ends and adjusters etc are tight, nothing looked out of tolerance.

So I'm not sure what my final thoughts are. I'm nervous to keep moving the adjuster... mostly because it is sooo hard to turn and I'm worried about stripping the hex and then I'm stuck. I'm also not sure how my loose steering compares with everyone else. I've included a picture of my steering wheel. The two pieces of tape represent the range of free movement in the wheel but where the tires don't turn. I'd call it maybe 10 degrees? Can anyone else share a picture of how their steering compares?

Jeep Gladiator How to Adjust the Slop out of the Steering System (I am finally happy with my Jeep) Steering wheel

Jeep Gladiator How to Adjust the Slop out of the Steering System (I am finally happy with my Jeep) Steering wheel

Snap a picture with a ruler on top of those pieces of tape, and I can let you know how it compares to five other JL/JTs I’ve driven extensively.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Snap a picture with a ruler on top of those pieces of tape, and I can let you know how it compares to five other JL/JTs I’ve driven extensively.
Sorry, I had already taken the tape off. But the distance between them was 1.0-1.5".

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
Sorry, I had already taken the tape off. But the distance between them was 1.0-1.5".
That is really good. If thats all the slop you have

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That is really good. If thats all the slop you have
I'm not sure if that makes me feel better, or just feel bad for others who have it worse, haha. But I do appreciate the comparative feedback. I don't anticipate trying to chase this any further at the moment, though I may do the synergy sector shaft brace after I do my lift.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I'm not sure if that makes me feel better, or just feel bad for others who have it worse, haha. But I do appreciate the comparative feedback. I don't anticipate trying to chase this any further at the moment, though I may do the synergy sector shaft brace after I do my lift.
Everything you can do helps. I have a write up for that.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm not sure if that makes me feel better, or just feel bad for others who have it worse, haha.
Coincidentally, I was just talking with my best employee about Jeeps, and she was complaining about the large amount of steering play in her TJ. I told her I had learned about adjusting play in the Gladiator steering box.

Misterbadfish

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
This is amazing. My JT was all over the road and felt dangerous. So many times looking down at the stereo for like a second and it's halfway into the next lane. I felt like I had to constantly focus to keep it straight and since I have never owned a Jeep, I had just chalked this up to that's the way solid front axle suspension Jeeps are like.

This took like an hour and I am as ecstatic as the guy in the video is at the end. My adjustment went from about 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock and seriously has changed how everything feels and it now drives straight and true for a long time before it starts to drift just like any other normal car would. I'm running 37"x12.5" tires at 30psi. 9,000 miles later and it's perfect!! I included a pic to show what I ended up with. The play in my wheel was almost exactly as shown in the video both before and after. Also used a heat gun on that setscrew for about 5min and broke it free easily with the little Allen. Couldn't budge it before putting the heat gun on it.

Thank you so much!! I'm actually looking forward to the next 10,000 miles now instead of slight dread each day.
Jeep Gladiator How to Adjust the Slop out of the Steering System (I am finally happy with my Jeep) 20200719_132526

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
This is amazing. My JT was all over the road and felt dangerous. So many times looking down at the stereo for like a second and it's halfway into the next lane. I felt like I had to constantly focus to keep it straight and since I have never owned a Jeep, I had just chalked this up to that's the way solid front axle suspension Jeeps are like.

This took like an hour and I am as ecstatic as the guy in the video is at the end. My adjustment went from about 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock and seriously has changed how everything feels and it now drives straight and true for a long time before it starts to drift just like any other normal car would. I'm running 37"x12.5" tires at 30psi. 9,000 miles later and it's perfect!! I included a pic to show what I ended up with. The play in my wheel was almost exactly as shown in the video both before and after. Also used a heat gun on that setscrew for about 5min and broke it free easily with the little Allen. Couldn't budge it before putting the heat gun on it.

Thank you so much!! I'm actually looking forward to the next 10,000 miles now instead of slight dread each day.
Jeep Gladiator How to Adjust the Slop out of the Steering System (I am finally happy with my Jeep) 20200719_132526
Glad I could help, I still smile a little more every time I get back into my Jeep.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Thanks for posting. I haven't done mine at all. I'm still at the stage where I'm looking-down-at-the steering-box and wondering how I'll get at that thing!
Sponsored