Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Thanks for posting. I haven't done mine at all. I'm still at the stage where I'm looking-down-at-the steering-box and wondering how I'll get at that thing!
Maybe watch the video?
Sponsored

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Maybe watch the video?
hi jimbom

I have watched the video. The JLU seems to have more stuff in the way...

It looks easier in the video than when I stand in front of the JLU with he hood up.

edit: clarifying...

I've adjusted steering boxes before. About 1972 or so. Volvos. The steering box was immediately accessible. (And there was no locktite back then!) Easy. If I adjusted it too tight, the steering box was tighter and then tTere was no return-to-centre. Easily fixed. It only took a minute or too.Then another test drive.

Now--there's locktite I understand. And the adjusting bolt and lock screw are marked from the factory showing the position of both as it came from the factory..

I would prefer for the dealer's mechanic to adjust the steering box. Then there wouldn't be any warranty issues.

And we've tried less pressure in tires. WE've had the dealer reflash the Jeep's brain.

"WANDERER" would be a good license plate. :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
Ok guys this finally fixed it for me.

IMG-20200721-WA0015.jpg

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Excellent! But that's a lot of weights on that wheel! ;)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
its been over a month now, has any one who did this had any issues crop up? Im at the same point as the op where I have done everything else that I can to correct it and its still a wanderer on the highway. im more than willing to give this a shot but just wondered if maybe the OP, or others, have decided this wasnt the best decision.

Side note...a new box is about $500 from several mopar parts sites. In my mind this makes it a worth while thing to try since its a RELATIVELY small cost for replacement if it gets fried down the road. The smoother ride would be worth the risk. Just curious about others and their experiences so far.

Scruf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 TJ, 2017 Honda CRF250L
Occupation
Automotive Product Quality Engineer
its been over a month now, has any one who did this had any issues crop up? Im at the same point as the op where I have done everything else that I can to correct it and its still a wanderer on the highway. im more than willing to give this a shot but just wondered if maybe the OP, or others, have decided this wasnt the best decision.

Side note...a new box is about $500 from several mopar parts sites. In my mind this makes it a worth while thing to try since its a RELATIVELY small cost for replacement if it gets fried down the road. The smoother ride would be worth the risk. Just curious about others and their experiences so far.
No issues so far... but to be honest I've only driven a couple hundred miles (working from home these days). Should anything pop up I'll be sure to share.

DaveL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Hi Matthew,
I'd love to have WANDERER as a personal plate on my JLU.
I'm in the same boat. Just had an oil change done. The "dealer" said we had to book a separate appointment to get the steering box looked at; no promise they would adjust it. We've had similar answers from the day we took it home.
Countless years ago ;) (about 1972) I adjusted steering boxes on Volvos. It was easy. Access was better back then, and I'm not as strong/flexible as I was then. Key was to do a little bit, a small adjustment, then go for a test drive. Do that until it's the way I wanted it. Second time I did it too quickly; I adjusted a little bit too far first time. Clue was that the steering wheel did not return to centre after a turn. Simple fix:: start over from the first position, then adjust a little bit like I did the first time. I haven't touched the steering box in the JLU. For warranty reasons, I'd like the dealer to do it. If they figure I need a new steering box, that's fine. But it better work.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Ok guys this finally fixed it for me.
I finally got my Gladiator two days ago. It seems I lucked out, as the steering is fine.

I have been driving a Dodge Dakota for the last 16 years, which has rack & pinion, and even after 350,000 miles, it is still tight. The Gladiator recirculating ball steering, by comparison fells a little "mushy", but no slop. The steering wheel rim only has to move about 1/2" before I see movement of the wheels. So I'm happy.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
For warranty reasons, I'd like the dealer to do it. If they figure I need a new steering box, that's fine. But it better work.
definitely curious if they'll do this. Ill probably do mine today or tomorrow depending on the weather. So we shall see! I will definitely do just a little at a time, probably at most " 1-2 hours " on a clock face per adjustment.

Sponsored

RNick77

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired Army Helicopter Instructor Pilot
My 2020 JT has 4800 miles, drive on the I95 is a bit loose and a lot of small corrections needed around traffic. I have asked the dealer and they said "they drive a little different than Grand Cherokee's". I REALIZE that. So, the PSC SK500 XD Steering Gearbox, Can i run that on the original power steering pump? I have a little improvement with Original Tires-reduced delivery PSI, Steer Smarts Tie Rod, Drag Link, Track Bar and a Simple Track Bar Brace "Not Synergy". Thanks,

Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, 2009 Toyota Tacoma
So, the PSC SK500 XD Steering Gearbox, Can i run that on the original power steering pump?
Not to sound like a smartass, but asking PSC would be good.

While keeping an eye on this issue, I've been wondering if the aftermarket (like PSC) has, or is building, a solution. Of course, you want your warranty to be used to fix the problem, but at what point (which will differ from person-to-person) do you just give up chasing a warranty fix, and go with an aftermarket fix.

OP
OP
Brfertig [HACKED ACCOUNT]
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man

I'm still good and can confirm its perfect and exactly the way it should have been from the factory. I am bombarded with thank yous from others who have done this.

Do it, you won't regret it.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still good and can confirm its perfect and exactly the way it should have been from the factory. I am bombarded with thank yous from others who have done this.

I absolutely intend to. Just waiting to get my alignment done and for it to not rain on a day i have off.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer

Brandon, I finally got my Gladiator Overland, and the steering seems fine to me. I can definitely tell it's recirculating ball compared to the R & P in my old Dakota (still tight steering after 350K miles); the Gladiator has a sort of "squishy" feel to it, but no wandering and no significant dead spot.

So I don't think I need to do the adjustment you described here. In view of the fact I intend to keep it mostly stock (no big tires and no lift), do you think installing the Synergy brace for the steering box would take out the squishiness?
Sponsored