Sponsored

Bed rack/tonneau cover - the perfect combo + how much rubber can you fit on OEM rims?

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.VermontBackcountryCottages.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
goat roper
Hi everyone - noobie here, first post. Be gentle. :)

I just got my first Jeep. 2020 Gladiator Sport. I'm a smitten kitten. Moving to VT in a month.

I want to build a truck that is really versatile as a daily driver/work truck, but also pretty good for overlanding/hunting/camping, etc.

I would like a bed rack that allows me to haul a 20' ladder, which means it will probably also need to run over the top of the cab a bit, right?

I'd also like a locking tonneau cover for security. Does this exist? I've been pouring over the threads but I can't quite figure this out.

2nd issue is this:

I actually like the factory cheap ass rims. They look utilitarian and rugged. How big can i go without a lift or swapping rims? I like to wheel so rubbing is a concern. I drive back and forth between Boston and VT frequently, so I don't want to go too high or too big with tires. Also, I just don't like that look. I was really into 1970s Mercedes Gelandewagons before I bought this Jeep. I like that military look more than the fatty boombalatty 4x4 look.
Sponsored

HappyRed

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Hello,

I don’t know how much this will help, I’m pretty new to all of this myself, but I’ve looked into both things. The Tonneau cover, they make some rolling ones that lock I think. Check out mikeoverland

as to the tires, the stock rims width are the weak point. They are only 7.5 inches (I believe) and a lot of 35 plus will require a wider rim. You can check the spec sheet of tires to see. Milestar Patagonia M/t come in a 34 that fit (the route I’m going to go)
LT295/70r17

some people run them out of spec, never done it nor know anyone that has, seems silly to me to do it but I don’t know enough to really say that

https://www.milestartires.com/light-trucks/patagonia-mt/

Sean

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
goat roper
Wow! Spot on with that bed rack
Hello,

I don’t know how much this will help, I’m pretty new to all of this myself, but I’ve looked into both things. The Tonneau cover, they make some rolling ones that lock I think. Check out mikeoverland

as to the tires, the stock rims width are the weak point. They are only 7.5 inches (I believe) and a lot of 35 plus will require a wider rim. You can check the spec sheet of tires to see. Milestar Patagonia M/t come in a 34 that fit (the route I’m going to go)
LT295/70r17

some people run them out of spec, never done it nor know anyone that has, seems silly to me to do it but I don’t know enough to really say that

Sean
Awesome catch, dude. I like this solution. I'm curious about the combo price. I'll report back. As far a s tires go, I was thinking of Nitto Ridge Grapplers 33x12.5oR18LT.

HappyRed

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
You should be able to fit 33s without too much issue. I didn’t look at the spec sheet, but I have in the past and remember it being good. If you have a sport/s you will probably need to remove the stupid piece between the bumper and fender. You talked about 18s so you probably don’t have a sport, but just in case.

also, look into getting a rubicon take off suspension, they go for like 300 dollars. If you have the max tow, they suggest keeping the back springs. While doing that maybe a little spaced on the front to level it. I don’t think you should have any rubbing or need bump stops. I just watch a lot of YouTube I’ve never seen it myself.

That is my plan, get a set of rubicon take off and the 34 m/t on a second set of rims (factory rims already have them bought them from a member). Use the m/t when applicable and in the winter time switch off to the factory rim/tires. I’m also going to paint the factory rims, they look kind of cool painted to me.

I have no idea the cost of the set up I linked to on some off chance that mike is on the forum. I enjoy your videos.!

Sean

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
I'm personally going with the BAK X4 Revolver roll-up hard cover with the Max Modular rack. The 18" rack with the tonneau brackets (add a few inches of height) should get you close if not flush with the roof, but that might need someone else's confirmation. Haven't received my parts yet so can't confirm that for you unfortunately.

Sponsored

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Check out reviews of the Access Literider roll up cover. I think it has the capability to be used along with a bed rack. I think there are some videos. Good reviews on the cover too.

troy_brady

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Volkswagen Golf Alltrack, 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle
Occupation
HSE Technician
Hello,

LT295/70r17

Sean
Unrelated.... But has John Hammond left Jurassic Park to do Jeep product reviews? :LOL:

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
goat roper
I just called Nuthouse Industries and I'm waiting for a quote for the Cab Height Expedition Series with Nutshells and Rotopax. The quote will also include the rolling aluminum powder coated, locking bed cover. I bet it's gonna sting a little.

Thanks for the rec Happy Red.

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
goat roper
You should be able to fit 33s without too much issue. I didn’t look at the spec sheet, but I have in the past and remember it being good. If you have a sport/s you will probably need to remove the stupid piece between the bumper and fender. You talked about 18s so you probably don’t have a sport, but just in case.

also, look into getting a rubicon take off suspension, they go for like 300 dollars. If you have the max tow, they suggest keeping the back springs. While doing that maybe a little spaced on the front to level it. I don’t think you should have any rubbing or need bump stops. I just watch a lot of YouTube I’ve never seen it myself.

That is my plan, get a set of rubicon take off and the 34 m/t on a second set of rims (factory rims already have them bought them from a member). Use the m/t when applicable and in the winter time switch off to the factory rim/tires. I’m also going to paint the factory rims, they look kind of cool painted to me.

I have no idea the cost of the set up I linked to on some off chance that mike is on the forum. I enjoy your videos.!

Sean

I do, in fact, have a SPORT. I'm not sure what "stupid piece" you're referring to, I'll crawl under there later today and tyr to figure that out. Sorry, noob here. :)

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
goat roper
The quote from Nuthouse was $6,684! That's steep! I attached the estimate. I'd need to massage this setup a bit, but essentially, that's the price.

Attachments

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenMountainBillyGoat

GreenMountainBillyGoat

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
goat roper
I'm personally going with the BAK X4 Revolver roll-up hard cover with the Max Modular rack. The 18" rack with the tonneau brackets (add a few inches of height) should get you close if not flush with the roof, but that might need someone else's confirmation. Haven't received my parts yet so can't confirm that for you unfortunately.
I just had a look at both of these products. Can you elaborate on why you are choosing them in particular?

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The quote from Nuthouse was $6,684! That's steep! I attached the estimate. I'd need to massage this setup a bit, but essentially, that's the price.
FYI, I have the full-height rack from Rebel Off Road and it was literally half the cost of that rack from Nuthouse. My rack is the same height as the cab and it's durable enough to mount another Gladiator on top without issue. Rebel sells a bed cover that works with their rack as well, but I don't know if it's lockable.

Just something to consider.

EstoJTR

First Name
Erx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 2014 Cayman S, 2020 RDX Advance
I just had a look at both of these products. Can you elaborate on why you are choosing them in particular?
This combo checked the majority of my boxes, short of going with a full hard cap/shell, which is more than I'm looking to spend at the moment. I'm also not a huge fan of the cab/shell look personally.
  • Secure cover (not soft) that ideally can be locked and is reasonably weather proof
  • Ideally shouldn't take up space inside the bed (like the TruckCoversUSA , Jackrabbit, Roll-n-Lock models) since the bed is already not huge. If it does take up space, see next point.
  • Should be relatively easily removable from the bed should every inch be required (e.g. like Peragon, which has said they'll make something, but no timeline)
  • Can work with some kind of rack so that a RTT can be mounted and cover still used (takes out Diamondback HD which is nice but I can't open it with a RTT mounted)
That left me with either this combo, or going with the ACE UpperDecker, which I also liked but it's not as easy to remove should I need to.

Frenzyrider

First Name
Ess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Occupation
Svc
That's the setup I am thinking. Let me know whether it fits and functions well.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
... Also, I just don't like that look. I was really into 1970s Mercedes Gelandewagons before I bought this Jeep. I like that military look more than the fatty boombalatty 4x4 look.
Apologies for the digression, but it appears your questions are being answered.

For years I've tried to figure out what it is that I didn't like about Broncos (old or yet to come) as opposed to Jeeps and I think you just gave me a new vocabulary that defines it. My JK is Jeep Green and my JT is Gobi--both because of that military look (I'm retired USAF, BTW). Thanks!

BTW, a friend drives a 1991 G-Wagen. He doesn't call it a "Mercedes", though I know most folks do. Not sure what the history behind that is. You can see it at in a couple video series I've made, and his brief description of it here (at 9:40) ...

Sponsored