Sponsored

Spec Sheet posted on FCA media site - 6500lb towing capacity for EcoDiesel Gladiator

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
And yet Im finding they left out some important info in relation to rubicon diesels and make it even more confusing.

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Interesting. It looks like the diesel is a bit under 300#s more than the gas. Also, they are showing it as an option on the Mojave? At least on the spec sheet. I wonder if that is for US sales or foreign?

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Interesting. It looks like the diesel is a bit under 300#s more than the gas. Also, they are showing it as an option on the Mojave? At least on the spec sheet. I wonder if that is for US sales or foreign?
Of the diesel is + 300lbs what's that do to payload?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
States the payload is 1075 on rubicon but their gCWR calculation and note below doesnt make sense to me.

1325 sport
1275 overland
1175 Mojave?
1075 rubicon

Sponsored

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Look at the sheet linked above. It looks like it is about a 95lb hit depending on model. The numbers are kind of all over the place though.

OP
OP
kclendaniel

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Still looks to me in regards to towing the Rubicon is the best option for the diesel since the GCWR is higher than any of the others.

Rubicon axles curiously have a higher GAWR than the gas versions which makes me wonder if the Rubicons not only got higher spring ratings but also got some of the beefier Mojave axle components or they are an entirely new spec axle.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Still looks to me in regards to towing the Rubicon is the best option for the diesel since the GCWR is higher than any of the others.

Rubicon axles curiously have a higher GAWR than the gas versions which makes me wonder if the Rubicons not only got higher spring ratings but also got some of the beefier Mojave axle components or they are an entirely new spec axle.
I thought the only big difference in axle was the knuckle. Everything else is Dana 44 4.10 same between them

OP
OP
kclendaniel

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I thought the only big difference in axle was the knuckle. Everything else is Dana 44 4.10 same between them
Rubicon front axles have lockers and the diesel the gearing is different but more than likely the stronger knuckle on the diesel is the differentiation. Hard to tell without them side by side.

On another note I did see something odd with the GCWR/Tow numbers.

They have always stated GCWR = Base Weight + Maximum Trailer Weight + 150 lbs. for driver in this document and their manuals.
With the Rubicon at 5352 base weight making the 'fixed' portion of the calculation 5502 when you add the tow portion it is only 11502 yet if you subtract the 5502 from the listed GCWR of 12100 you get an actual max tow rating of 6598. So which is it FCA? Don't post an equation if it does not add up.

Like the tow ratings people are posting from the Jeep app I bet there is a bit of swag between these numbers and the actuals that come on the door sticker.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I really hope the select trac transfer case ratio is a misprint at 4.0-1 ratio, which is the same as Rubicon Rocktrac, command trac that is standard on Mojave is the 2.72-1. One of the reasons I went Mojave instead of Rubicon!.....Jack

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon front axles have lockers and the diesel the gearing is different but more than likely the stronger knuckle on the diesel is the differentiation. Hard to tell without them side by side.

On another note I did see something odd with the GCWR/Tow numbers.

They have always stated GCWR = Base Weight + Maximum Trailer Weight + 150 lbs. for driver in this document and their manuals.
With the Rubicon at 5352 base weight making the 'fixed' portion of the calculation 5502 when you add the tow portion it is only 11502 yet if you subtract the 5502 from the listed GCWR of 12100 you get an actual max tow rating of 6598. So which is it FCA? Don't post an equation if it does not add up.

Like the tow ratings people are posting from the Jeep app I bet there is a bit of swag between these numbers and the actuals that come on the door sticker.
I thought the exact same thing with their numbers and why I just gave up this morning. I found at least 6-7 errors in their spec sheet and option guide related to the diesel JTR. Just doesnt add up or make sense.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Some notes:

The sheets such as the one posted are always general numbers. Usually they're rounded. Each truck will vary slightly depending on options.

Rubicon has 32 spline shafts and is simply stronger in the axles. The standard width axles are a little "weaker", right? So what's surprising about that?

300 lbs. more weight means 300 lbs. less payload. That's why Jeep gave the diesel models a different GCWR. It helps keep the payload from being too miserable. (Which begs the question: If FCA can simply wave magic fairy dust on the truck and give it a higher GCWR, why didn't they do that to ALL JTs in the first place? Can you imagine a Sport Max Tow with 2,000 lbs. of payload? That would be a truly useful truck.)

Keep in mind that weight also hurts towing ability. Notice I said ability, not capacity. So, a heavier truck will tow less efficiently than a lighter truck if all else is the same. I still think I'd go Sport S if hauling or towing was my main concern.

Even though EcoDiesel shaves 1,000 lbs. of towing capacity off the truck, it will still tow more effortlessly than the Pentastar. An EcoDiesel will tow 6,000 lbs. more easily than a Pentastar will tow 4,000 lbs.

With around 4,000 lbs. behind the EcoDiesel, expect to see MPGs decrease by around 7-8. This will put you in the 14 MPG range, which is slightly better than the Pentastar which tows the same load at roughly 12 MPG. (This is all from personal experience). So, while towing you'll end up spending a little more $$$ at the pump since diesel costs more.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Some notes:

The sheets such as the one posted are always general numbers. Usually they're rounded. Each truck will vary slightly depending on options.

Rubicon has 32 spline shafts and is simply stronger in the axles. The standard width axles are a little "weaker", right? So what's surprising about that?

300 lbs. more weight means 300 lbs. less payload. That's why Jeep gave the diesel models a different GCWR. It helps keep the payload from being too miserable. (Which begs the question: If FCA can simply wave magic fairy dust on the truck and give it a higher GCWR, why didn't they do that to ALL JTs in the first place? Can you imagine a Sport Max Tow with 2,000 lbs. of payload? That would be a truly useful truck.)

Keep in mind that weight also hurts towing ability. Notice I said ability, not capacity. So, a heavier truck will tow less efficiently than a lighter truck if all else is the same. I still think I'd go Sport S if hauling or towing was my main concern.

Even though EcoDiesel shaves 1,000 lbs. of towing capacity off the truck, it will still tow more effortlessly than the Pentastar. An EcoDiesel will tow 6,000 lbs. more easily than a Pentastar will tow 4,000 lbs.

With around 4,000 lbs. behind the EcoDiesel, expect to see MPGs decrease by around 7-8. This will put you in the 14 MPG range, which is slightly better than the Pentastar which tows the same load at roughly 12 MPG. (This is all from personal experience). So, while towing you'll end up spending a little more $$$ at the pump since diesel costs more.
Not true. Price depends on your area. Diesel is no more expensive than regular gas for me. Not midgrade or premium.... Regular. I only say this because region will make a difference. The plus on diesel and price is in my market it is less prone to price swings. Much more stable.

Not saying your information is false, just not always true.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel near me in denver metro is and has been $1.98, regular has been sitting 0.30 higher.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, you don't live in America, so what I posted is all true for the U.S.
except that diesel has been cheaper in my area of Denver for at least the last 5-6 months. Stays around 0.30/gal cheaper than regular 85 octane.
Sponsored