Sponsored

CarPlay motion restriction work around yet?

orthobill13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CEO
Hello all.... have a 2020 Mojave and love it so far. I am disappointed with the Jeep / FCA imposed restrictions on functionality with CarPlay when in motion. Seems very counter intuitive to me. I have read the other threads where debates broke out about safe not safe, etc... not trying to open that can of worms again please.

I see the wireless CarPlay adapter seems to be a good work around. Has anyone found any other work around for this yet?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all.... have a 2020 Mojave and love it so far. I am disappointed with the Jeep / FCA imposed restrictions on functionality with CarPlay when in motion. Seems very counter intuitive to me. I have read the other threads where debates broke out about safe not safe, etc... not trying to open that can of worms again please.

I see the wireless CarPlay adapter seems to be a good work around. Has anyone found any other work around for this yet?

Thanks!
What restrictions are you concerned about? I use carplay quite a bit for podcasts, playing music, navigation, phone calls, etc and haven't noticed any restrictions. Maybe I am just used to the way the system works though. I typically enter what I want from my iphone if the menu doesnt have a function.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The inability to use the touchscreen for data entry, while the vehicle is in motion, is a common safety implementation. My 2013 Nissan has this.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
The inability to use the touchscreen for data entry, while the vehicle is in motion, is a common safety implementation. My 2013 Nissan has this.
Strange, when I use Apple CarPlay I can enter addresses while in motion, But when I use Android Auto it locks everything up. Cannot enter addresses while in motion.

OP
OP

orthobill13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CEO
There seems to be limited touch screen functionality while in motion. For example, can't select artist or playlists from the touch screen or at least extremely limited selections like only recently added, which then forces you to pick up the phone or use Siri. That of course is not the same when stopped.

I am not sure about the other functions while in navigation etc as this is first few days with the new jeep and just understanding all of the functions or in this case, frustrations.

Sponsored

MMMII

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR - 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Redfin - Real Estate Consultant
Sounds like your beef is with Apple.

Just use Siri. "Play songs by <artist>.. Play <song name> by <artisit>... Play playlist <playlist name>."

OP
OP

orthobill13

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CEO
Sounds like your beef is with Apple. Just use Siri.
Not at all as when reading other forums there are vehicles like F150's etc... that don't experience this. After a lot of reading it seems like something from FCA that they have added as an additional safety measure.

I am just looking for a work around for this if one exists. I understand Siri, just a personal preference.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I used the Tazer JL to enable the Uconnect navigation on screen keyboard while in motion. We travel a lot together, so the navigator uses the keyboard, not the driver.

For a long while, Google Maps on iOS wouldn't show up on Car Play, so we've not run into the exact problem you've mentioned. I don't know if iOS settings can be over-riden by the Tazer. I use Android, so it's a different set of issues.

Not at all as when reading other forums there are vehicles like F150's etc... that don't experience this. After a lot of reading it seems like something from FCA that they have added as an additional safety measure.

I am just looking for a work around for this if one exists. I understand Siri, just a personal preference.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I used the Tazer JL to enable the Uconnect navigation on screen keyboard while in motion. We travel a lot together, so the navigator uses the keyboard, not the driver.

For a long while, Google Maps on iOS wouldn't show up on Car Play, so we've not run into the exact problem you've mentioned. I don't know if iOS settings can be over-riden by the Tazer. I use Android, so it's a different set of issues.
The Tazer does nothing for connected devices such as IPhones or Android phones. But as you mentioned It does free up the keyboard on the Uconnect navigation while in motion.
Sponsored