Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So the diesel has a ~1000 lb less towing capacity than a max tow gasser?
It was reported in articles some time ago, after interviews with FCA engineers, that diesel towing capacity would be hindered by limitations of the cooling system. To get greater towing capacity for the diesel would require a complete redesign of the iconic Jeep front end.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
It was reported in articles some time ago, after interviews with FCA engineers, that diesel towing capacity would be hindered by limitations of the cooling system. To get greater towing capacity for the diesel would require a complete redesign of the iconic Jeep front end.
Ok, understood, so then help me understand the reason behind forking out an additional $4000 for the diesel? The only reason people buy diesel vehicles is for either towing or fuel economy and since the towing capacity is actually less for the oil burner, that leaves fuel ecomony. Four grand will buy a bunch of gas at $1.50 per gallon, not to mention the added cost of DEF and diesel maintenance. Curious.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Ok, understood, so then help me understand the reason behind forking out an additional $4000 for the diesel? The only reason people buy diesel vehicles is for either towing or fuel economy and since the towing capacity is actually less for the oil burner, that leaves fuel ecomony. Four grand will buy a bunch of gas at $1.50 per gallon, not to mention the added cost of DEF and diesel maintenance. Curious.
It also states towing at 6k and I was told 6350 from others. Guess we will wait for the first person to post it. LOL

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Because people will buy it.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
It’s how well it tows the 6k vrs the gasser. Rating doesn’t mean as much to me when the engine is screaming for mercy climbing a mountain or trying to get enough torque to pass a vehicle while towing in the 4k to 5k range. It’s been said many times that the diesel is not an economic choice but rather the ONLY factory choice for those who want torque. The gasser in the JT has an anemic 260 Ft of Max torque at 4400 RPM and that sucks compared vrs the 442 ft of Max torque at 1400 RPM in the diesel. I hated hearing my buddies JT revving up so hard while pulling around 5k that I knew I would only buy a JT with a diesel (I’m coming from V8s). Hearing how much non turbo V6s have to rev up compared to V8s or Turbo 6s is surprising. When you do a little research you realize the V6s in the midsize trucks are really just passenger car or minivan motors.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
the massive torque advantage makes the driving characteristics mucho better IMO and now that it’s been confirmed that the diesel gets you wide track axles, it’s really just $3k more than the gasser and if you’re going 37 or bigger the MPG delta widens

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Lots of inaccuracies in that first article.
Right. The beginning of it says it has the same D44 axles front and rear and 3.73 axles and 73:1 crawl ratio required by the Rubicon. So much wrong in that statement alone....
Sponsored