First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I was on the fence over waiting for the diesel, went ahead in June and bought a gasser, I spent most of my working life using diesels. I remember our shop manager telling us that you have to have over for 100K in mileage before you started to brake even on cost. I am happy with my truck, yes I wish it ran lower RPM while towing 70-75 mph but the temps all stay in the normal range so it does not appear to be a problem.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
im actually not interested in a v8 gladiator. Sounds great but an all electric version that will embarrass it in every way won’t be that far away. Same reason I’ll be keepingmy order for either the Rivian, potentially the hummer or the cybertruck. The diesel is my last ICE engine period and any of those will Take the fun factor away from a V8

i have a performance model Y now and itll outrun any non exotic to about 90 mpg
came from 12 yrs in a Hummer H3 Alpha, done with 12 mpg V8s, I'm also very interested in the electric truck trend (especially the GMC Hummer obviously)

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I quit reading after this line.

"All of the diesel Gladiators require the Dana 44/3.73:1 axles-and-gears package that is standard on Rubicon."
what they’re getting at is all diesels get “max tow” axles. THe gearing is lower on purpose

Last edited:

JkJT84

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w Max Tow
Occupation
LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously how is this author able to have a job writing vehicle reviews. He clearly has little to no knowledge of Jeeps and worse he lacks the professionalism to do a little bit of research and make sure the specs he is quoting are right. Even worse how did the editor not catch his mistakes, smh.

Sponsored

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
This writer needs a remedial class in reading the press release. He thinks the intercooler is why the payload rating dropped? Does he know the difference between that and a radiator?

OK, he doesn't understand the minutiae of the Max Tow vs Rubicon tow rating, but doesn't SOMEONE fact check this stuff?

Complaining about a pickup truck's handling on a windy mountain road is editorial, I get it, but basic facts as presented by the press packet shouldn't get fouled up like that.
I believe it is the intercooler that is the cause. It sits in front of the radiator, which causes the radiator to be less efficient.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
^yup. in the rap the turbo intercooler is separate with its own air inlet

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
FTA: " Yes, the fascia's seven-slot grille actually restricts airflow to the Charge-Air Cooler, knocking the towing limit down to 6,000 pounds "

The intercooler has nothing to do with engine cooling, that is IS an airflow restriction for the radiator is NOT what the author wrote.

Copying and pasting from the press packet without understanding the topics at hand, Exhibit D.

I believe it is the intercooler that is the cause. It sits in front of the radiator, which causes the radiator to be less efficient.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Sorry for the condescending tone. The V6s will tow to their ratings just hate that the engines are designed to have max torque at higher RPMs. The emissions changes have been problematic. I wish the big three would extend the 100k powertrain warranty to include the diesel emissions equipment as well.
Sorry I was super sarcastic back...

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It appears that many of you didn't realize there's a section in the forum for the diesel. All of this has been hashed out in detail.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd take the I-6 4.0L over the pentastar for reliability any day of the week and twice on Sunday. :angel:
That would be a horrible trade.

The 4.slow made 30 lbs/ft less torque, 100 less horsepower, leaked oil like a sieve, was heavy, drank fuel, and had a litany of problems like eating cam position sensors and cracking heads. What a miserable pile of trash those engines were. For every 500,000 mile 4.0 there were ten that didn't make 100,000.

Reactions: Mac

riggsdr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
That would be a horrible trade.

The 4.slow made 30 lbs/ft less torque, 100 less horsepower, leaked oil like a sieve, was heavy, drank fuel, and had a litany of problems like eating cam position sensors and cracking heads. What a miserable pile of trash those engines were. For every 500,000 mile 4.0 there were ten that didn't make 100,000.
LOL. No comment on torque/hp/mileage, not what I was claiming.

Literally every vehicle I have ever owned has had the 4.0. While rear-main oil seal leaks every 200,000 are true, I have never had a major engine problem in my entire adult life. A couple water pumps at 250,000; catalytic converters plugging on the new one until I moved out of CA and "deleted" them. Exhaust manifold cracks just make it sound cool. I'm retiring the LJ with 175,000 when my JT comes in, and that will be over 50,000 less miles than any of the other 3 had when I sold them in perfectly running condition. My experience has been different than yours, I guess.

Advguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel, '19 Volvo XC40
Occupation
Entrepreneur
im actually not interested in a v8 gladiator. Sounds great but an all electric version that will embarrass it in every way won’t be that far away. Same reason I’ll be keepingmy order for either the Rivian, potentially the hummer or the cybertruck. The diesel is my last ICE engine period and any of those will Take the fun factor away from a V8

i have a performance model Y now and itll outrun any non exotic to about 90 mph and get over 100mpgE in the process
Agree! My JT Diesel should be coming in next week and it’ll last me until Rivian or Nikolai produce an electric that I can take on trips. My guess: 3 years

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LOL. No comment on torque/hp/mileage, not what I was claiming.

Literally every vehicle I have ever owned has had the 4.0. While rear-main oil seal leaks every 200,000 are true, I have never had a major engine problem in my entire adult life. A couple water pumps at 250,000; catalytic converters plugging on the new one until I moved out of CA and "deleted" them. Exhaust manifold cracks just make it sound cool. I'm retiring the LJ with 175,000 when my JT comes in, and that will be over 50,000 less miles than any of the other 3 had when I sold them in perfectly running condition. My experience has been different than yours, I guess.
Every single one I've had and have seen others have, has had an oil seepage between the block and head, as well as valve cover leaks and rear and front main leaks. And I wish I had a dollar for every 4.0 owner I've talked to who had the infamous cylinder misfire and NOTHING seemed to cure it. I myself went through that B.S. with a 2000 Grand Cherokee. It had the cracked head issue between #2 and #3 cylinder, but even after I put a new head on it the engine still had the misfire. Replaced every part on that POS and couldn't stop it. Those engines would see 16 MPG on a good day, and being made of cast iron they were heavy and the list of issues with them was a mile long.

There is no way in hell I'd ever trade a rock solid Pentastar 3.6L engine that sips fuel, lasts forever, and screams with power on the top end while keeping a torque curve that's as flat as a Kansas highway for an old, oily, problematic I-6 from 35 years ago. No way. Not me.
Sponsored