First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Anyone know of a step system for the tailgate. The kind that fold and don’t take up room?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know of a step system for the tailgate. The kind that fold and don’t take up room?
My wife ordered me a tailgate ladder. It will take a certain amount of room - she said it's an early Christmas present for me as she knows I don't climb into and out of the trucks like I did a few years ago (30 pounds off might help..........)

I'm sure it WILL require some drilling into the tailgate -

https://shopusatrucksupply.com/collections/frontpage/products/usa-truck-tailgate-ladder

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
My wife ordered me a tailgate ladder. It will take a certain amount of room - she said it's an early Christmas present for me as she knows I don't climb into and out of the trucks like I did a few years ago (30 pounds off might help..........)

I'm sure it WILL require some drilling into the tailgate -

https://shopusatrucksupply.com/collections/frontpage/products/usa-truck-tailgate-ladder
I’m looking at one of those too. With the 2” ( more like 3”) Mopar lift and 33” tires I find getting my 5’3” body into the truck bed a little challenging. I’m torn between this one and one at the local Northern Tool store that looks similar. Please keep us posted on how well yours works.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking at one of those too. With the 2” ( more like 3”) Mopar lift and 33” tires I find getting my 5’3” body into the truck bed a little challenging. I’m torn between this one and one at the local Northern Tool store that looks similar. Please keep us posted on how well yours works.
I got an email from ups stating mine was to be delivered Friday, then another on Friday saying it's changed to Monday.
I likely will install it as soon as it arrives unless a customer has other rush jobs for me and I don't get to work on my own truck!
I'll post results, how it fits, works, etc.

Buzzlb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland: The Overcon ‘82 CJ-7
Build Thread
Link
I waited for a rear bumper with a step on the corner, and I got rid of the Plastic! Bumper
RR HD front & rear. Love them.
Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 6F613B28-0F0E-4770-A247-29A38DF0001E
Jeep Gladiator Steps for tailgate? 9424CE31-2889-400F-B310-C2F19C9DFDD2

Rugged Ridge HD.
See The Overcon for more pics and install. Now All Steel all the way around!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
I got an email from ups stating mine was to be delivered Friday, then another on Friday saying it's changed to Monday.
I likely will install it as soon as it arrives unless a customer has other rush jobs for me and I don't get to work on my own truck!
I'll post results, how it fits, works, etc.
Thank you. I bought the one at Northern Tool today and it did not fit so I had to return it. The mounting plate was way off and the steps would have hit the cable on the side of the tailgate.

dreston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I have the AMP Bedstep that I got from 4wheelonline. I like this add-on because it is retractable. It allows me to climb up into the bed easily.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. I bought the one at Northern Tool today and it did not fit so I had to return it. The mounting plate was way off and the steps would have hit the cable on the side of the tailgate.
Mine arrived. It's been too cold to actually install them but I did a quick assembly and mock-up and yes, one part will hit the cable, but barely. I can easily pad that area and it won't be a problem. Comes really close to the bumper, but I think that frankly, I can make a minor mod to the ladder mount and deal with that, too.

I know there are those steps out there, but the price is just crazy for something so bloody simple. They are sure making money on them considering the lack of materials needed compared to other cheaper options. Likely it's due to patent protections.

It may be warmer tomorrow, and if so I'll try to see what I come up with on the ladder mount. Little stops me when determined to make something work.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Interested in this too... I've just been using the tire to climb in but with a 30" inseam the top of a 37 is a reach

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
C'mon guys. A little exercise is good for you. Just put both hands on the lowered tailgate and hop in. That's what I do...2" lift with 35s...73 years old. If the tailgate is up, I use the step in the OEM bumper to climb into the bed.

Sponsored

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
I waited for a rear bumper with a step on the corner, and I got rid of the Plastic! Bumper
RR HD front & rear. Love them.
Who makes this? I have been looking for something like this since day 1

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
C'mon guys. A little exercise is good for you. Just put both hands on the lowered tailgate and hop in. That's what I do...2" lift with 35s...73 years old. If the tailgate is up, I use the step in the OEM bumper to climb into the bed.
And what was your profession for many years?
I spent decades lifting differentials, transmissions, engines (incluidng a complete 4 cyl Citation engine onto my bench) and other fun stuff. Doc says "you've spent a lifetime of lifting and hard work, haven't you?"
Yeah, doc....... looks like I really dun it, didn't I?
When a tractor is on the opposite corner of a plowed field, 160 acres away, and it need diesel fuel, you carry 5 gallons of diesel across said field.
I've bailed hay and straw, tossed bails up to the top row on the rack, unloaded tons of seed corn and beans (50-60 pound bags) and lifted auger equipment and electric motors into the tops of grain bins. Back ain't so good these days.
(My little brother once broke 2 bones in his foot lifting so much weight - now he has knee issues and he's only in his 50s)

If the tailgate is up, I also step up using the bumper.
Otherwise I have to back to the down tailgate and hoist myself up with my arms. Arthritis says to me "not this day, turkey" on some days.

Br4hm4

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT OE, 2016 Polaris Slingshot, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2018 Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Linux Engineer
RR = Rugged Ridge
That rear bumper is brand new
The pricing isn't bad at all! And they have a deal going on right now on buying a front and rear bumper and getting a gift card back. Looks like someone (me) is going to get an early Christmas gift...
Sponsored