Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports Tune claims 50HP gains (on E85) for V6 JL Wrangler and JT Gladiator

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t realize the v6 could run on e85
Not sure about all of them, but my JT specifically states not to use E85 inside the fuel door. I stick with 87-89 octane. Typically 87. Dealer even made a point to tell me not to use E85.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure about all of them, but my JT specifically states not to use E85 inside the fuel door. I stick with 87-89 octane. Typically 87. Dealer even made a point to tell me not to use E85.
Not only are they not programmed for that - I don't really know if all of the materials used would handle E85. It's 'corrosive', esp. with aluminum parts.

I wonder - if you had fuel system issues and were running E85 - bet FCA wouldn't have to cover any damage if it was found E85 was the cause.
I don't know - maybe the materials will handle it - but risk it? Not me. Not until a few others use it for a year or two and find zero damage.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
As for the trans tune, they recommend it and told me that it will firm up shifts, holding longer is just the fact that it more HP. It doesnt hunt all the time like it did and increased throttle response so I could get rid of the afe scorcher and sprint throttle booster. They didn't even know about the 1500 rpm stumble, but it got rid of it. I love both and would highly recommend.
So I am going to embarrass myself a bit here but since I've only been a Jeep owner and not well versed in this stuff yet, would you mind breaking down exactly what all that means point by point? I'm trying to learn here. Thanks in advance.

DubaiMarauder

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Truck Driver
Vehicle Showcase
Not only are they not programmed for that - I don't really know if all of the materials used would handle E85. It's 'corrosive', esp. with aluminum parts.

I wonder - if you had fuel system issues and were running E85 - bet FCA wouldn't have to cover any damage if it was found E85 was the cause.
I don't know - maybe the materials will handle it - but risk it? Not me. Not until a few others use it for a year or two and find zero damage.
Call me cautious, but I am the kind of owner that listens to the manufacturer when it comes to most things. If they say no E85, I am fine with that. I'm not terribly interested in voiding a warranty on a $54k vehicle that I JUST bought. Call me chicken, but it seems like a bad investment otherwise.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Make 50 hp on pump gas and then I'll be impressed.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Make 50 hp on pump gas and then I'll be impressed.
you dont rate demanding to be impressed over something you havent and cant build on your own.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
you dont rate demanding to be impressed over something you havent and cant build on your own.
LOL, I'm not demanding anything however I would be impressed if someone actually could.

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I am very close to pulling the trigger on the 93 tune from livernosis. I would still like to hear more reviews on gladiators before i do.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am very close to pulling the trigger on the 93 tune from livernosis. I would still like to hear more reviews on gladiators before i do.
I REALLY wish these things (the JT 3.6) was optimized for E85. More power, cooler running, cleaner chambers.
93 octane will help as they can bump timing and make other changes to increase power a bit but the real power advantage would be an engine made for E85.
If I could convert mine to E85 for 500 bucks, I'd do it. But I don't know that these 3.6s have the compression to make them really that great with E85.
E85 engines should be made more like diesel engines, not open deck light-weight gas engines.

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I REALLY wish these things (the JT 3.6) was optimized for E85. More power, cooler running, cleaner chambers.
93 octane will help as they can bump timing and make other changes to increase power a bit but the real power advantage would be an engine made for E85.
If I could convert mine to E85 for 500 bucks, I'd do it. But I don't know that these 3.6s have the compression to make them really that great with E85.
E85 engines should be made more like diesel engines, not open deck light-weight gas engines.
I agree, i am looking more for a little more power and smoother running engine along with better shifting. If i can get 30 more hp and some more torque that would be ideal.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
i called about getting it. $700 for the engine tune and another $700 for the transmission tune. The power gain looks good but the price Pretty steep.

my woman has a GC 3.6. Better tune and a way bigger intake. its much more punchy than my Jt

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i called about getting it. $700 for the engine tune and another $700 for the transmission tune. The power gain looks good but the price Pretty steep.

my woman has a GC 3.6. Better tune and a way bigger intake. its much more punchy than my Jt
That's interesting as we've had 3 recent Grand Cherokees - a 2015, 2018 and now a 2021. IMO, my JT will keep up with any of them, maybe better.
Her GC and those of the past were no slouches but I found my JT to be at least as good if not better.
I've not driven the 2021 yet myself, but I did drive the 2018 and '15 quite a bit and I'm not disappointed in the JT when it's not towing.

Bigger intake can be a negative. You slow the air flow, less turbulence in the chamber.
It's why Mercedes and some others use a variable runner intake - too big and you lose low end, too small and you lose top end.
They can vary the size of the intake plenum and runners to keep velocity up for RPMs below max, and open things up for high RPM.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
That's interesting as we've had 3 recent Grand Cherokees - a 2015, 2018 and now a 2021. IMO, my JT will keep up with any of them, maybe better.
Her GC and those of the past were no slouches but I found my JT to be at least as good if not better.
I've not driven the 2021 yet myself, but I did drive the 2018 and '15 quite a bit and I'm not disappointed in the JT when it's not towing.

Bigger intake can be a negative. You slow the air flow, less turbulence in the chamber.
It's why Mercedes and some others use a variable runner intake - too big and you lose low end, too small and you lose top end.
They can vary the size of the intake plenum and runners to keep velocity up for RPMs below max, and open things up for high RPM.
that only really matters when your tuning intake air vocity against the cam lobe profile and valve size. You need variable length intake runners when your cam ramp speed is very high with high lift. The air velocity has to stay high enough to feel the cylinders through the range. Its also usually done in the plenum runners not the intake track.

but yes, youre correct you can oversize the intake. Usually you see intake problems in pipe design reducing power before the size does.

The 3.6 in the GC, Challenger/charger are all rated at higher output than the jl jt. Some of that is restricted intake design, a lot of that is tune.

id hazard a guess that a before and after dyno of an intake on a jt after the tune would net some improvement.

Andrew05LJR

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 911 C2S
An extra 50 hp is quite the bump on an NA motor for E85 alone. This is pretty intriguing. As far as the 3.6 goes, Im sure most modern engines and components are built to withstand E85 content being that ethanol is in majority of gas these days anyway. What Id be curious to know if the fuel pump can keep up with the demand of E85 as well as the injectors. Id want to see fuel pressure at WOT up top as well as AFRs to make sure its not running out of fuel.
Sponsored