Vicegrips

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
not gainfully employed. Too old, been there done that.
I held off for a long time to see what the Mopar brake controller would be like. I feel a lot better now for giving up and buying a Curt Spectrum controller from Amazon for $135 last May. It's too bad the factory controller is such a letdown.
Did exactly the same Spectrum controller in July, taking some install hints from earlier threads. Waited till the correct harness adapter was available. Only challenge was cleaning the dash left of the steering wheel sufficiently so the no-drill adhesive solution worked. I have no regrets about my purchase of the Spectrum.
Sponsored

Pitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feet
Thank you, I have that.
I have Adaptive Cruise Control on my 2021 Max Tow and the Mopar Brake Controller seems to be working correctly. I do not get any warning lights when I push the manual button.

Pitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Feet
Maybe it is a difference between model years. My Gladiator is a 2021 with a September production date.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Maybe it is a difference between model years. My Gladiator is a 2021 with a September production date.
They may have added the diode to the factory harness knowing the controller harness wouldnā€™t have it. If that is the case then some 2020ā€™s may also have it depending on build date and when the change was incorporated.

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
So many unknowns and of course internet speculation. :surprised:

Sponsored

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Thanks for starting this thread. Very disappointing on jeeps end: Iā€™m glad I went with the Redarc elite pro and it works great. A quality product with GREAT support. Those guys know their crap. They are super helpful, knowledgeable and follow up. They stand by their brand.

I wish Jeep would have worked with Redarc to come up with the brake controller...

Reactions: KVJ

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
This appears to be Redarcs answer to the feedback issue

179B17A9-11E1-441B-8BEF-655E8E8B9754.png

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
That is all we are ever going to have on here unless we get an engineer to completely evaluate the parts and wiring.
Maybe @ShadowsPapa will modify his cable with a diode to see if it'll fix the issue... He mentioned he can't return his cable.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe @ShadowsPapa will modify his cable with a diode to see if it'll fix the issue... He mentioned he can't return his cable.
I'm going to FORCE the issue and bring it up with JeepCares, even Jeep customer service if I have to. I'm not spending another minute experimenting.
THEY OWE ME. And I'm standing on principal here.........

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
They may have added the diode to the factory harness knowing the controller harness wouldnā€™t have it. If that is the case then some 2020ā€™s may also have it depending on build date and when the change was incorporated.
I strongly doubt that......... possible, but there are what-ifs related to third party controllers then. Diodes also inherently drop voltages, so if a 3rd party has one in a harness............ and further, why do that with factory and then have to figure out who has it and who doesn't.
We'll see - we need to post a poll and get build dates, do they have ACC and so on.

Bottom line - Mopar f'd up bigly. They owe me a harness to fix this and since it's a Mopar part, it does come with a certain warranty no matter who does what. I've decided to kick this up the channels strictly on principal as they owe me a working controller one way or another.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
"Big letdown.
It doesn't have the diode in the brake light wire - indicating it was never tested on a real JT with options. There is no way any test engineer, even a beta tester ever used this. I'd bet it was designed, made, and shipped - not tested.
It's mounted backwards from the instructions. No one caught that in beta testing?
The instructions are also not precise in a couple of ways (you can't insert the wires first and then mount it - at least I could not after an hour (no kidding) of trying)"

Probably assigned to a junior engineer with no adult supervision. Rushed out to the field with little to no testing and the attitude we'll fix any bugs later - it's so so simple how bad could it be? :fingerscrossed:

Surprised the tech pub writer messed up so bad. Usually they're fairly on top of things but that to could be because the engineer gave 'em bogus info and poor documentation.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Just read this press release quote regarding the new JL/ JT doors off rear view mirror kit.

ā€œMopar offers more than 500 quality-tested, factory-backed performance parts and accessories across the entire Jeep lineup,ā€ said Mark Bosanac, Head of Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care, FCA ā€“ North America. " Unlike other aftermarket offerings, Moparā€™s (insert part here) are specifically engineered and tested to original-equipment standards."

Hopefully, Mark will see/ read this thread and get things straightened out pronto!

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just read this press release quote regarding the new JL/ JT doors off rear view mirror kit.

ā€œMopar offers more than 500 quality-tested, factory-backed performance parts and accessories across the entire Jeep lineup,ā€ said Mark Bosanac, Head of Mopar Service, Parts and Customer Care, FCA ā€“ North America. " Unlike other aftermarket offerings, Moparā€™s (insert part here) are specifically engineered and tested to original-equipment standards."

Hopefully, Mark will see/ read this thread and get things straightened out pronto!
IF a previous post in this, or was it another thread, is the explanation for why this works for some folks. If they tested it with the 2021 models and those models are DIFFERENT in the trailer controller wiring harness plug in area - that helps explain things.
Otherwise, one could argue with his point on "testing" as they did NOT test this on JTs built in 2019 for sure. I'll debate him on that as we have at least two, now maybe THREEE of us with issues related specifically to this brake controller.

I POSTED A POLL to help gather more info - try to nail down the reasons some say it's perfect and others say, uh, not so fast.......

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I get mine this week. Iā€™m heading out of town Wednesday evening. So donā€™t know if Iā€™ll get a chance to install it before I leave. Iā€™m hoping so, now that we are seeing issues. I want to know if mine will work. Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll be ok because I donā€™t have the ACC. Oh the suspense.
Sponsored