Enabling auto high beam

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
you have it 100% i have the same jeep...it just needs to be turned on in the radio. After that push your dimmer switch forward and you will get the auto highbeam message
Our problem is that it was not programmed correctly from the factory and the option is not in the radio settings. It is at the dealership now but I am suspect if they have the capability to understand they will need to contact FCA to have it updated and be able to reprogram it.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Mine was built in 1/20 and last seen at a dealer in late April. Doesn't have the feature listed in the settings, and not in the build sheet. I'll ask my dealer about it soon, thinking I'll do a slightly early oil change though I'm only at 5200 miles.

I have a Tazer JL but none of the other tools.

MNDZLJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary Diesel
Occupation
Jeep Technician
Our problem is that it was not programmed correctly from the factory and the option is not in the radio settings. It is at the dealership now but I am suspect if they have the capability to understand they will need to contact FCA to have it updated and be able to reprogram it.
All that needs to be done is to have the dealer do a vehicle reconfiguration and it will populate the option if its missing......i work at a dealer and am very familiar with the process

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
All that needs to be done is to have the dealer do a vehicle reconfiguration and it will populate the option if its missing......i work at a dealer and am very familiar with the process
Assuming it - the sales code - was assigned to the VIN
The problem seems to be that some word the safety package differently than others, looking at the two different build sheets and window stickers, it appears to be how the thing is worded.
Mine, for example, if they flash my system again, I'll lose it and have to put it back in. Same with passive entry - unless the dealer contacts FCA and has those added to my vin, then they get that configuration and put it in my truck. That's how they described it.

Unless your VIN includes that sales code/option, it will not be there.
I found the window sticker comparisons for the same model year Jeeps to be interesting - one had it, the other did not and even the package name was different, yet ACC and forward collision warning were still there on both window stickers. Rear park assist was listed in the safety group of one but not the other, but it was there for both.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming it - the sales code - was assigned to the VIN
The problem seems to be that some word the safety package differently than others, looking at the two different build sheets and window stickers, it appears to be how the thing is worded.
Mine, for example, if they flash my system again, I'll lose it and have to put it back in. Same with passive entry - unless the dealer contacts FCA and has those added to my vin, then they get that configuration and put it in my truck. That's how they described it.

Unless your VIN includes that sales code/option, it will not be there.
I found the window sticker comparisons for the same model year Jeeps to be interesting - one had it, the other did not and even the package name was different, yet ACC and forward collision warning were still there on both window stickers. Rear park assist was listed in the safety group of one but not the other, but it was there for both.
I posted the different builds and stickers for reference, the option is supposed to be and is listed as part of the package when building an 80th Anniversary edition But they missed it at build. I am sure there are others as well, just trying to get awareness.

Sponsored

snide

First Name
Big Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
I rarely use high-beams so I would have no use for this feature.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I rarely use them either, and this feature would allow me to use them more without having to remember. Another safety feature.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

GladFox

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland Punk’n
Occupation
Engineer
So you’re saying despite all the discouragement you posted in the other threads about this, you were able to get it to work on your JT?

Note - this REQUIRES you have the forward facing module up center of the windshield, in the area of the inside rear view mirror. This contains the DASM. It's the radar and camera that handles ACC, Forward Collision Warning, etc.
If you do not have that black box up there, you cannot enable auto high beams.

You will need the security bypass cable and an OBD adapter such as the OBDLink MX+ or vGate iCar Pro, etc. and software such as jscan or AlfaOBD.
It appears access to the necessary settings MAY exist in jscan, but I used AlfaOBD in this case (I have both and found a couple of the settings in jscan but cannot prove that it has everything needed.)

These are the necessary settings - (the first part of each line, prior to the colon : is the location of the item in AlfaOBD)
* VehConfig 1: Auto High beam- YES (this tells it to enable)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM (this tells it where the module is)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam On Threshold- 25 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case)
* 2014 CBC Config I/O & Feat: Auto High Beam Off Threshold- 20 km/h (this is default and was already set in my case)
* CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES (this sets it in the radio settings screen under "Lights", adds the menu selection so you can turn it on or off. See picture of the menu below)

The settings involved are in the body module (BCM)

The pics below are of AlfaOBD which I used to set this up.

20210110_112001.jpg

This pic shows adding the menu choice on the radio settings screen, Yes tells it this setting choice is present

20210110_113058.jpg

If I recall the owner manual correctly, the headlight switch should be in auto position, and the TS stalk forward to high beams on. Flicking that lever again to change to low beams will trigger a "Automatic High Beams Disabled" message, meaning that you turned it off.

20210110_113848_HDR.jpg

This is what the "CustSetMenu 1: Auto High Beam CSM Present- YES" setting does - adds the Auto Dim High Beams menu choice. It was not there before that setting ->

20210111_103653_HDR.jpg

Special thanks to member Jimmy07 who furnished much of the settings details

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you have it 100% i have the same jeep...it just needs to be turned on in the radio. After that push your dimmer switch forward and you will get the auto highbeam message
Can you share your window sticker and build sheet if you have it?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you’re saying despite all the discouragement you posted in the other threads about this, you were able to get it to work on your JT?
LOL yeah. Thanks to Jeep's goofy way of dealing with features - like not offering it at all in 2019 builds until December and no one else being able to do it despite several threads "out there on the web" talking about people trying to do it - and no success, it appeared something was missing.
Unlike passive entry - which people for months here and elsewhere said wasn't possible, I'd found no successes at all here or anywhere else and people kept saying they were trying - months, no success. I was going by what I was reading and finding dozens of others saying.
Then like the passive entry where someone figured it out - I found reference to the settings needed and tried it.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Can you share your window sticker and build sheet if you have it?
IF you have this Auto Dim High Beams [ ] in your radio settings area under "Lights" then you can turn it on in the radio.
IF you do not see this setting - checked or not - then you have to do more.........

I did NOT have this choice, so followed what I wrote in post one of this thread.

Headlight switch must be on AUTO (not in the ON position) and the dimmer switch forward on high beams for it to function.

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210111_103653_HDR

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I kno
IF you have this Auto Dim High Beams [ ] in your radio settings area under "Lights" then you can turn it on in the radio.
IF you do not see this setting - checked or not - then you have to do more.........

I did NOT have this choice, so followed what I wrote in post one of this thread.

Headlight switch must be on AUTO (not in the ON position) and the dimmer switch forward on high beams for it to function.

Jeep Gladiator Enabling auto high beam 20210111_103653_HDR
I know where the setting is supposed to be, I am working with Jeep wave as we ordered it with the Advanced Safety Group which has that as part of the group but our was not programmed for it. Looking for a sticker to see if there is a difference for the same model.

techteacher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT '20 White Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
....and you got this setting changed ok in jscan? Auto High Beam Module Location- IRCM

I'll have to plug in again and open jscan to see if the settings look the same or show up as I set them in AlfaOBD - since I used AlfaOBD to make the changes in mine, I can't recall how things looked when I was poking around with jscan a few weeks ago to see if I could enable these.
I suppose it could be that you can see it in jscan but it can't make the change, or as some people say, the adapter sometimes isn't fast enough to make certain changes correctly. They only way to know in your case is to go back in and see if jscan shows you the settings you want as having the correct values. It may have said it was doing it but wasn't able to - but maybe you've double-checked already.
Did you ever get a chance to poke around in jscan after making the changes in AlfaOBD to see what the Auto High Beam Module Location was set to? That seems to be the only setting that doesn't line up from the directions in jScan as IRCM is not an option to select.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you ever get a chance to poke around in jscan after making the changes in AlfaOBD to see what the Auto High Beam Module Location was set to? That seems to be the only setting that doesn't line up from the directions in jScan as IRCM is not an option to select.
I haven't but you hit on one area I wanted to check out as I don't recall that as even being an option in jscan weeks ago when I was digging trying to see if I could just "figure it out by snooping". I tried all of the options that jscan gave me - and it never worked. The only thing AlfaOBD told me it changed was that. It said the other settings were already present. So actually all I had to change was that one, the others were there - oh, I did add the radio menu choice in AlfaOBD. But the rest I already had set.
I need to dig in again and see what jscan tells me now that I have all of those settings printed out.
Sponsored