So at the end of the day why the Gladiator? Pickup is better

41Willys

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '16 Kia Sorrento, '07 Toyota Tundra
This pretty much sums it up. A Gladiator is for people who want a Jeep but need a truck, or just want both, or just need both. Someone else already mentioned it, all trucks look alike... mostly true.

I like the size, the open air, the capability, and the originality.
Yep.
Sponsored

SuburbanGP88

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
You ever tried parking a full sized truck anywhere near a downtown area or going into a standard parking garge with low overhangs? I mean, if you raise the JT it'll suck too, but a stock JT like mine would manuever through crowded areas and find parking a lot easier than any full sized truck, which is why I went to a mid-sized instead of a full sized truck for this purchase. In the mid-sized category, nothing beats the JT for all around fun on top of being a functional truck and even a family hauler when needed. It's plenty roomy and luxurious enough for family hauling duties around town and doing in Jeep style instead of settling for a mundane mid-size like a Colorado, Tacoma, or Ranger.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Always been a Jeep guy long history. But the thing that really says it well. Is little diddy I was at the hardware store yep buying 19 sheets of plywood. This family gets out of a ram. And s their very young son maybe 6? Says to his dad. That’s a Jeep the mom and the dad says yes. The kid says it’s sooo cool. The dad says 👍 yep

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
- I have full size trucks.
- Better suited to off-road exploration
- Topless
- Doorless
- Unfortunately, I spend part of my time in an Urban hell, and hate a full size in that setting.
- Always had Jeep trucks.

Sponsored

jtimbrook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I kinda feel like this is a trick question of some sort, like there's a hidden surprise at the end like a RickRoll meme... I've owned a 1500 and well it didn't last long at all, I actually regret trading in the TJ I had for it all together.

tncruiser

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram truck
Occupation
retiered
I sold my 2015 ram 1500 qc hemi ,to buy my gladiator , I dont need a P/u as i HAVE AN SUV , I dont need a convertable my 85 Chrysler is a convertable ,I JUST LIKE IT AND NO OFFENSE ,,,,,,bUT iM OLD ENOUGH TO HAVE WHATEVER I WANT.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Commodity pickups are for commodity people.....

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
Frist Time Jeep Owner

Sure there are more than a few more capable trucks on the market but the Gladiator just gets me in the right spots in my brain.

Sponsored

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
Body wise the gladiator is nearly 17" narrower and you can remove the fenders (body is about 63" wide from my tape measure). The PW is larger than its track width while the gladiator body is confined well within its tire track. Anyone that ever saw one would know and understand this fact, and to claim otherwise is simply disingenuous to say the least.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but the PW weights 40% more than the JTR. It's substantially larger. It's door handle to door handle width is drastically wider, it's nearly 2 feet longer, has massive axles with the same size tires, doesn't have the ability to run larger tires without significant modification... etc.

The JTR is simply a far better off roader and vehicle to live with, for me. It can tow more than I need it to, it can haul more than I need, though I could use the winch to free up parking spaces admittedly.

I literally just drove down a trail were both could fit, but the PW would have nice deep scratches all down its body. The JTR needs dramatically less torque to move it around, and they have virtually identical power to weight ratios.

I've owned a 98 Ram 12v Cummins, 06 Silverado Z71 5.3L, and 2010 Tacoma TeRD so I am well aware of driving both mid size and full size trucks off road. There is a massive difference whether you want to acknowledge it.

Why would I want a truck that is going to ride worse because its axles are twice the weight and its springs are much stiffer for higher capacities simply because no one wants them enough so they are heavily discounted? I've always wanted a power wagon, but frankly I don't want to have to live with one? I'm happy with my 17+ mpg (1 above fuelly avg), but would hate the 12mpg fuelly avg for the PW (33.3% more based off fuelly numbers).

A Civic is 71 inches wide which is less than 3 inches within the Gladiator's width.

There are capacities and capabilities. The PW and 1500 have higher capacities (towing and hauling), but the JT is lighter, narrower, shorter, more fuel efficient, and can more easily navigate trails and lines.

A Power Wagon is 5 inches wider than a Rubicon. There are a handful of trails in America where 5 inches would be the difference between fitting and not fitting, but for most people that will never ever be an issue.

I'm not saying don't buy a Gladiator. I'm just supporting what the OP meant with this thread which is that for the money there are certainly much better options out there for most people. As I keep saying, the removable top and doors is the money ball and that is the sole reason most people who shop Gladiator will be shopping the Gladiator. If you didn't care about those two things, then it would be wise to spend the money elsewhere.
Compare the exterior dimensions of Gladiator vs. Power Wagon and tell me which you'd rather have in the crawl scenario pictured below. For where I need to off-road here in Colorado, I need narrow more than wide. It's also good to have a truck that actually fits in my garage, which would be a challenge for Gladiator and impossible for a Power Wagon.

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 12.27.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 12.33.07 PM.png

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I bought a JT because its the modern version of my MJ which I consider about the best small/midsized truck ever made bar none. It would not cost Jeep much to make a short cab version of the JT. Certainly would be a handy vehicle.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I bought this JT because I had a Full Size Ford Diesel crew cab 8 ft bed 1 ton 4x4 and it is a monster but not good hauling daughters long distance for Volleyball Tournaments, so also bought a Ford Expedition EL 4x4, and for every day work driving I had the big Prius V, and for fun I had a manual 2016 JKUHR. Those were just my vehicles, my daughters had a Jeep GC and Mustang Convertible, my wife had a Camry. 😁

3 years ago one went to college, the second daughter has one more year before college, I sold my wakeboard boat, and then the gladiator became reality.

Sold 1 Ton Diesel, Sold Expedition, Sold the Prius, Sold the Mustang.

College daughter got the Camry, youngest kept the GC, wife bought a Mazda CX-9, and I... bought the gladiator!

For me the JT checks all the boxes and when I get another wake boat, the JT can handle it As it only has to be trailered 60 miles to the slip in the spring and 60 miles back home in the fall each year.

And I borrowed this picture which explains the JT quite nicely.

Jeep Gladiator So at the end of the day why the Gladiator? Pickup is better F572D7AD-6FD2-4D8A-B11A-69FB7DECF0B5

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Had a Ram 1500 while the Gladiator TSB was being conducted.

It was like driving a Matzo, no flavor, boring, needing something, zero character.

It just reinforced my decision to buy a Gladiator.