First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
This is an Australian publication, so some of the content is not relevant to NA, but the Jeep President confirms Gladiator PHEV is in the works and coming.

https://www.goauto.com.au/news/jeep/jeep-boss-goes-all-in-on-4xe/2021-01-22/84365.html

“On the Grand Cherokee the decision was made to go petrol and electrification, so we’re going both ICE and electrified powertrains because that’s where the future is going and with electrification on product like Wrangler and Grand Cherokee, we’re able to deliver more capability off road, more fun to drive, strong towing capacity, strong torque and eco-friendly technology.

“We believe that’s the perfect world for Jeep; to also be able to drive in e-drive, on electric only for commuting is a hell of an experience and we strongly believe in it.”

While not completely ruling diesel out of its international line-up just yet, Mr Meunier continued to praise the credentials and capabilities of the 4xe system, even going so far as to say that it was “as competent as a V8”.
Mr Meunier also confirmed point blank that there was “for sure” an electrified Gladiator in the works
Sponsored

NHyde

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
IT Manager
Wonderful; By the time it is here in the states, it'll be time to trade mine in for a newer model, would love a PHEV model.

sfurash

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
Occupation
CPA
The 4xe is already online in us for build and presume ordering.
Built one last night.
There are three models of wranglers

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
I can't wait to learn more about this...

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
Hopefully now we can get a powertrain subform for the PHEV!

I assume this will be similar to the introduction of the diesel, in that the Gladiator will follow the Wrangler by 6-9 months. In that case we can possibly hope to see the Gladiator PHEV right at the beginning of the '22 model year...

We also have the Wrangler 4xe configurator to go by as a guide. Should include a lot of standard content for the package.

I hope to also see:

1. Availability on the Mojave. I hope this is an appropriate powertrain for Mojave. It'd add weight and they'd have to retune the suspension, but it would put the extra HP to work. You'd also have in the Mojave, the PHEV with the most running suspension clearance--important to get that stock in a powertrain that is probably going to accept modification not as well (due to reducing the electric range).

2. Better inverter and inverter wiring in the bed. Wrangler didn't get this, but it would sure be nice to tap that huge battery for 12v accessories like fridges, charging power tool batteries, etc.

Sponsored

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Oh it’s definitely coming. Just a matter of time. With states like CA and MA and I am sure OR and WA aren’t far behind, banning gas powered cars in the not to distant future. Plus, this is directly from the Jeep website FAQ

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator 4xe Hybrid PHEV confirmed in the works - by Jeep President Christian Meunier 6C46209B-149D-44BE-952D-4BA3301E21B2

I am extremely excited about this and can’t wait for it to come to market

tumbes2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
This would be a powertrain that would get me to possibly trade in my Mojave. I would like to have the powertrain with the Mojave trim but I would probably still switch even if its only available in the Rubi.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
Oh it’s definitely coming. Just a matter of time. With states like CA and MA and I am sure OR and WA aren’t far behind, banning gas powered cars in the not to distant future. Plus, this is directly from the Jeep website FAQ

6C46209B-149D-44BE-952D-4BA3301E21B2.jpeg

I am extremely excited about this and can’t wait for it to come to market
If the ban would be on gasoline engines it would ban these as well since it still has a gasoline engine.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
He said when they announced the JL PHEV that every model of Jeep would have a hybrid I believe by 2023

Sponsored

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If the ban would be on gasoline engines it would ban these as well since it still has a gasoline engine.
correct, so a PHEV would be the natural evolution until the ban takes full effect, which for most states and countries is 2035. At that time, phev will become full EV and the adoption will be easier and less painful for both consumer and manufacturers.

the ban also would apply to new vehicle sales only.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Still waiting to see a tow test with the Jeep PHEV. (NOT a 'tow rating')
Too bad we couldn't get a 2.2L diesel hybrid aka: mini train! :rock:

PS: Bet the payload takes a hit just like the current diesel package -

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes I can’t wait for this powertrain, also hoping to see the tornado engine hopefully coming to the gladiator as well!

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Oh my... a diesel electric mojavicon... swoon.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
Too bad that in the same state that they build Jeeps, you get an extra $200 tax per year for your license plate, if the vehicle can be plugged in to charge. It doesn't matter if you can go 10 miles on a charge, or 400.

For that reason, I would never consider this.
Sponsored