Sponsored

Diamondback HD Mounts - Crushing side rails!

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
Is it just me or do the Diamondback hard bed cover clamps crush the sides of the bed rails? Every picture I’ve seen on here and in YouTube videos I see it. I mean the obvious is, don’t crank down on the bolts so much...but I’m seeing it everywhere.

I haven’t had a chance to look under the plastic covers on the rail to see if the plastic is just crushed or if the metal is underneath...but I was wondering others’ takes on it
Sponsored

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I thought they resolved that issue with some sort of spacer they were using on either the Tacoma or the Tundra.

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I've noticed my plastic squish a little bit, but it doesn't really bother me. As mentioned above, they fixed it on the Tundras with spacers.

Sponsored

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Fixing it on a Tundra does NOTHING for me and my JT though...
Meaning their is a fix...contact their customer service and they'll take care of you. Do some research before hand so you're informed on how it's fixed. You may be able to remedy it yourself and not have to wait for them to ship you anything.

MSGEngineering

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
I reached out to them the other day for the shims. They didn’t have any.... I fabbed my own from 1/4” hard rubber and two sided tape. Worked great. No more smash. I did destroy my rail caps getting them off. They are only $35 each at the dealership. Cost of doing business I guess.

MSGEngineering

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
If you don’t have the trail rail. You can get the caps off easier.

OP
OP
mmatthie

mmatthie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S
I reached out to them the other day for the shims. They didn’t have any.... I fabbed my own from 1/4” hard rubber and two sided tape. Worked great. No more smash. I did destroy my rail caps getting them off. They are only $35 each at the dealership. Cost of doing business I guess.
Did you just remove the caps, then stick right to the metal and replace the cap? Sucks this happened. Was the metal fine underneath though?

Can't believe Diamondback didn't help more than just saying no.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I originally over tightened mine. When one clamp tightened down, the other one would get slack. So i just tightened both down the same amount and put a nut with blue loctite on the bolt ends. Clamps haven't loosened and the center isn't smashed down.

Sponsored

stingrey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JTR, '15 Range Rover
Occupation
Civil Eng
To help me understand - Is this only an issue if you do not have the Trail Rail to clamp too?
My DB cover is set to arrive in 1-2 wks.

Thanks

MSGEngineering

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
Did you just remove the caps, then stick right to the metal and replace the cap? Sucks this happened. Was the metal fine underneath though?

Can't believe Diamondback didn't help more than just saying no.
I actually stuck the shims to the plastic cap. You have to be strategic about where you put them. Everything is fine now. I did reach out to diamondback and they told me the thickness to make the pads. It wasn’t that hard. I had some heavy duty rubber mats laying around and I just chopped it up and added the tape.

MSGEngineering

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mohave
Occupation
Engineer
I originally over tightened mine. When one clamp tightened down, the other one would get slack. So i just tightened both down the same amount and put a nut with blue loctite on the bolt ends. Clamps haven't loosened and the center isn't smashed down.
I ended up doing the same. They really don’t need to be super tight. The top isn’t going anywhere.

Hsteeleman

First Name
Hugh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
CFO
I actually stuck the shims to the plastic cap. You have to be strategic about where you put them. Everything is fine now. I did reach out to diamondback and they told me the thickness to make the pads. It wasn’t that hard. I had some heavy duty rubber mats laying around and I just chopped it up and added the tape.
What are the shim dimensions and thickness?

Treyfoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I installed mine knowing this could happen. Problem was for me, clamps kept falling off so I’d tighten more. Once clamps stopped falling off it was crushed. I’m on the list for a repair kit :(
Sponsored