Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
So I haven’t looked around, yet, but are there no aftermarket alternatives that could help us? I’ve not been impressed with this clutch so far (only 2k miles) but already thinking about upgrades. Call me skeptical but I have little faith that a major company will sacrifice millions/billions to do the right thing on a mechanical solution when a software solution makes it seem like they are “trying” to address the problem for much less $$
Centerforce - based in Prescott, AZ - has been making after-market clutches for decades. They have one for the JL / JT:
https://www.centerforce.com/Articles/centerforce-dual-friction-kdf157077

I was very happy with the Centerforce clutch I used 20 years ago in a desert racer, for what that is worth.
Sponsored

JimWillis319

Banned
Banned
First Name
corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Graphic Designer
So I haven’t looked around, yet, but are there no aftermarket alternatives that could help us? I’ve not been impressed with this clutch so far (only 2k miles) but already thinking about upgrades. Call me skeptical but I have little faith that a major company will sacrifice millions/billions to do the right thing on a mechanical solution when a software solution makes it seem like they are “trying” to address the problem for much less $$
You shouldn't accept this as a solution. It is not a solution. We payed for a vehicle that was supposed to have x amount of power, x amount of torque, x amount of whatever it may be... If their "remedy" to "fix" ANYTHING is EVER a lessening of said power/torque/whatever... They have now changed what we bought. Even if it is just for a 'limp mode' amount of time. It's unacceptable and we all need to be telling them that.

Power in numbers, and many numbers of us contacting jeep is the only way it get's things done. Review everywhere you can online (negative reviews get more done these days than a phone call as the whole world gets to see the issue) and we have a chance of forcing them to find a REAL solution to the issue they created.

They slacked off building the trucks, keep in mind that is why this issue arose.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3, '79 CJ5, '21 JT Sport S manual.
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Centerforce - based in Prescott, AZ - has been making after-market clutches for decades. They have one for the JL / JT:
https://www.centerforce.com/Articles/centerforce-dual-friction-kdf157077

I was very happy with the Centerforce clutch I used 20 years ago in a desert racer, for what that is worth.
I stopped in there earlier today and talked with an awesomely knowledgeable guy. He said Centerforce is looking at a couple weeks out for their clutch kit (I'd also have to assume that they need to wait for Jeep to make their move first.) But more importantly was that he said this is about the ENTIRE system upgrade from hydraulics all the way through a single flywheel and clutch. Simple, basic, BEEFY, and tried and true. He also said that this system wouldn't affect the other nonsense associated with it like the ESS. Plug and play, HARD.

No prices yet. But this stands as a future option to be negotiated with Jeep/FCA/Stellantis when push comes to shove: I'll buy the part, they pay for labor. Vice versa. Whatever. But their other option will eventually come down to buyback. This way would be cheaper for them in the long run. Also, they would have to disclose any limp mode that lowers torque. I can already hear Ford sharpening their knives for a battle royale in advertising jabs. Ford may not have to do much now that I think about it, Jeep seems to be shooting themselves in the foot quite efficiently on their own. Let's hope they have the automatic if that's the case. Too soon?

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I stopped in there earlier today and talked with an awesomely knowledgeable guy. He said Centerforce is looking at a couple weeks out for their clutch kit (I'd also have to assume that they need to wait for Jeep to make their move first.) But more importantly was that he said this is about the ENTIRE system upgrade from hydraulics all the way through a single flywheel and clutch. Simple, basic, BEEFY, and tried and true. He also said that this system wouldn't affect the other nonsense associated with it like the ESS. Plug and play, HARD.

No prices yet. But this stands as a future option to be negotiated with Jeep/FCA/Stellantis when push comes to shove: I'll buy the part, they pay for labor. Vice versa. Whatever. But their other option will eventually come down to buyback. This way would be cheaper for them in the long run. Also, they would have to disclose any limp mode that lowers torque. I can already hear Ford sharpening their knives for a battle royale in advertising jabs. Ford may not have to do much now that I think about it, Jeep seems to be shooting themselves in the foot quite efficiently on their own. Let's hope they have the automatic if that's the case. Too soon?
I'm jealous that you still have a 1970s CJ. I miss my 1978 CJ-7. In addition to being awesome in many ways, the clutch never caught fire. Too soon?

Sponsored

Happiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner...

Man I like the sound of that CF setup, and haven’t even heard anything specific yet.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
I'm jealous that you still have a 1970s CJ. I miss my 1978 CJ-7. In addition to being awesome in many ways, the clutch never caught fire. Too soon?
I really don't think there can be anything better than a straight six smile. :like:

Resized952020091395135552.jpg

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
I spoke to a service tech at my dealership today while had my Gladiator in for a checkup. I specifically asked him about the manual recall and what he understood it to involve. He told me, there will be a clutch and pressure plate replacement completed on the transmission. Not just a software update. Also asked him about any possible loss of power. He stated there would be no loss and should be an increase overall. I would trust he wouldn't give me false information on this important issue. We will see how things go when the parts are available.

Fingers crossed....

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I really don't think there can be anything better than a straight six smile. :like:

Jeep Gladiator STOP Sale on all Manual Jeeps [Update: software flash fix arrives in March] Resized952020091395135552
Simply awesome. That 258 straight six was one of the great engines of its era. I assume yours also had a manual choke on the left side of the dash; I loved making micro-adjustments to that as it was warming up. You are the computer modulating the air and gas flow. Mine was a three-speed stick; what about yours?

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I was wondering, however, given the circumstances that a clutch would see excessive use and heat during a rough terrain crawl, that if the software decreases torque output at a crucial time that this might actually be a dangerous "fix" to take over at the worst possible moment
In a rough terrain crawl you shouldn't be slipping the clutch any more than you do in normal driving. This is when you should be in 4-low and have a lot more control, with your left foot completely off the clutch pedal. If you need to stop or start, clutch quickly. Coolant temps will rise, but clutch temps are more controllable. I'm not saying the stock JT clutch isn't under-engineered, just saying the problem can be mitigated.

Sponsored

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Camp Maintenance
Simply awesome. That 258 straight six was one of the great engines of its era. I assume yours also had a manual choke on the left side of the dash; I loved making micro-adjustments to that as it was warming up. You are the computer modulating the air and gas flow. Mine was a three-speed stick; what about yours?
3 speed manual (not sure if they had an automatic on these then), manual choke, manual lockers, no power steering, and as you can see from the pic I have the A/C on full blast. All stock except for some minor cosmetics, seats, 2" lift, and 33s. Can't wait for the AMC20 to snap.

In a rough terrain crawl you shouldn't be slipping the clutch any more than you do in normal driving. This is when you should be in 4-low and have a lot more control, with your left foot completely off the clutch pedal. If you need to stop or start, clutch quickly. Coolant temps will rise, but clutch temps are more controllable. I'm not saying the stock JT clutch isn't under-engineered, just saying the problem can be mitigated.
Yup, you and Dan are completely right. I'd also be in 4LO and wouldn't even look at the clutch 99% of the time. But I have had to work my way backwards up some nasty slime/snow where a taller reverse has been telling me, "Quit stalling, you embarrassing hack! And stop worrying about that drop off, the tree's should stop ya." My example wasn't very specific and I don't intend to find myself in those situations again (bad on me for both). But if I do, I don't want to worry about a clutch exploding. Smoking, yes. That's on me. Exploding, no. That's on Jeep. Can't imagine what that clutch will do backing up a trailer in similar slime on any sort of grade. But yeah, you're absolutely right.

Last edited:

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
very well said. I know when I am smoking my clutch, and in particular in reverse that is an issue. But an exploding clutch is another issue, and that's on Jeep to fix....and not by down grading my ride.

JimWillis319

Banned
Banned
First Name
corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Graphic Designer
I spoke to a service tech at my dealership today while had my Gladiator in for a checkup. I specifically asked him about the manual recall and what he understood it to involve. He told me, there will be a clutch and pressure plate replacement completed on the transmission. Not just a software update. Also asked him about any possible loss of power. He stated there would be no loss and should be an increase overall. I would trust he wouldn't give me false information on this important issue. We will see how things go when the parts are available.

Fingers crossed....
there is no mention of that on any single thing I have read. Only software updates mentioned.

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/04...J7H11FrroqQw1VRGauTLQuVXtVvKf0AOhhosl2A3pICY2

Hopefully he just knows more I guess but I'm not holding my breath. I feel like they would have opened with that.. No one would be mad about a free clutch, thousands will be mad about a neutering software as a solution.

Munkey Boy

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Camp Maintenance

Fingers crossed....
An increase? I have questions. 🤔
Sponsored