Sponsored

Towing modifications??

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
So far I have a brake controller to install and I’m about to purchase a used Curt WDH with sway control. The WDH is rated for 1500 lbs TW and 15000 lbs GWT.
Just because its rated that high, doesn't mean you will be capable of towing that high. Jeep will not cover damage (in that case negligence) for going above and beyond factory ratings. Having it for added strength when at factory ratings is ok tho. This will also be mentioned in the fine print of the WDH when purchased new. And 8k-10k WHD should be more than enough ( and I think the lowest rated I've seen for WHD).
Sponsored

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I use the Curt Echo brake controller (freaking LOVE it), the mirror extensions from the member on here (superbly made, BTW), and an anti-sway bar (just for peace of mind). I don’t use a WDH for my TT as it’s just barely at or under 3.5K# fully loaded and has a tongue weight of <300#. I’ve towed it about 5K miles thus far with no problems at all…pulls like a champ.
Jeep Gladiator Towing modifications?? 38C24407-8B15-4AEC-BB0F-B198B8AB1F7E

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Here is my WDH. I need to look at exactly the spring weight. I got it from my local RV truck shop. They selected the spring weights. It does great truck rides even and smooth even with a lift.

0717201918_HDR~2.jpg

0717201918_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Jpeazy21

Jpeazy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport 4x4 w/ Max Tow
Occupation
USN

Burton79

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Occupation
Federal Government
I just read these don't fit the Gladiator. Is there something I am missing?
I came across the same exact thing but found out I had to do a bit of research for clarification. Air Lifts site is very general but I stumbled on CJ Off Roads YouTube channel one day and saw them.

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
I can attest to those Air Lift bags. I have my current Ram, and had them on my last Ram. They don't level out a load like a traditional air bag. But they do reduce the bounce and sag from heavier tongue weights. Rear end feels more planted.

OP
OP
Jpeazy21

Jpeazy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport 4x4 w/ Max Tow
Occupation
USN
I came across the same exact thing but found out I had to do a bit of research for clarification. Air Lifts site is very general but I stumbled on CJ Off Roads YouTube channel one day and saw them.

Do you have an onboard air compressor? How do you fill them?

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Do you have an onboard air compressor? How do you fill them?
No compressor needed. They come with schrader valves that you can mount wherever. On my Ram I have them mounted next to the license plate in the back. I use a bicycle tire pump air them up. You only put 25-35 PSI in them. Takes a couple pumps per bag.

Jeep Gladiator Towing modifications?? valves

Burton79

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT
Occupation
Federal Government

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Hopkins Insight Brake Controller. Magnuson Supercharger, EAZ Lift Recurve G3 WDH. Diode Dynamics reverse lights in the bumper. 4awg rear battery connection for winch. Thing yanks cars, quads and side by sides beautifully on or off road
#1. Magnuson Supercharger
how is that working out? Any issues? That is not really a minor "towing mod" lol
#2 4awg rear battery connection for winch
I'm guessing a hitch mount portable winch plate? This is a nice feature. Do you have front mounted also or does it do double duty? I have a receiver on my XJ front bumper and thought about this option.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
#1. Magnuson Supercharger
how is that working out? Any issues? That is not really a minor "towing mod" lol
#2 4awg rear battery connection for winch
I'm guessing a hitch mount portable winch plate? This is a nice feature. Do you have front mounted also or does it do double duty? I have a receiver on my XJ front bumper and thought about this option.
Supercharger works out great. I have quads and a side by side I take offroading with my friends and family. With my whole family aboard and a full trailer. I am keeping or setting pace with two full size chevys and an F150 pulling similar cargo.

The 4awg actually has a connector at the hitch and I plug my trailer winch into it when a dead car or machine needs help getting on. It is just a small 4500 lb winch to get things up on to the trailer without using my back.
Sponsored