Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
g'day.

Product code for the V4 will be the same as before once it releases. Superchips took my notes, and a few of them will make it as a plug-in cable update a bit after. Your best bet will be to order direct from Superchips/diablosport etc this summer because a lot of vendors will still ship the old unit I'm guessing. I'd also put in any order notes to specify you "want the V4, and if it is not V4, do not ship."

I think for your environ, you'll want to be able to run a paper filter and a snorkel with all the dust, especially central/west Australia as you trek about, so the Mopar intake is probably a good choice. Intake will help a bit on it's own, yes, but tuning and pedal correction is the biggest improvement.
I was one of the guys with a pretty bad experience with my Pulsar, currently on my 3rd one...I have comments scattered throughout several different threads, but I believe I am running a V3 unit now. I have not plugged it in for an update, but will be looking for a V4 update soon now based on your post. I have said and will continue saying however that Superchips/Edge are amazing in my experience with their customer service and when running right, I am happy with the Pulsar for what it gives performance wise.
Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Superchips TrailDash2 also works with the Gladiator. My understanding is that where the Pulsar modifies the signals into the ECM, the TrailDash2 requires an ECM unlock and directly modifies the ECM memory. It’s also my understanding that in addition to canned tunes, the TrailDash 2 can facilitate custom tunes. And finally, I believe it is slightly more expensive than the Pulsar. Confirmation or correction would be appreciated.
I had a horrible experience with a TD2 and went back to my Pulsar

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kurt- If Pulsar gets things sorted out to your satisfaction I’d like to meet up with you and take your truck for a spin if possible as I’m in VA also and travel a bunch..
I'm in VA and have a Rubi MT with a Pulsar and exhaust, no intake but I am running a throttle body spacer (I like it).

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
v4 board arrived and installed. It is indeed a different unit. Construction seems better from a case standpoint. I did not find any evidence of water or dust intrusion into the old case ports.

E48F9C2C-8CA1-4029-835E-1CEBFA89E867.jpeg
Wow, way different than mine.

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I had a horrible experience with a TD2 and went back to my Pulsar
Would you expand on this for me? After being out with the motorhome and towing the JTR along with us, we’ll be back home in a couple of weeks and I plan on making some of the mods in this thread. I originally purchased the TD2 when the lift and 37’s were put on but other than that have not done much with it since. Gearing was always planned so that was the next intended use.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jim

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Would you expand on this for me? After being out with the motorhome and towing the JTR along with us, we’ll be back home in a couple of weeks and I plan on making some of the mods in this thread. I originally purchased the TD2 when the lift and 37’s were put on but other than that have not done much with it since. Gearing was always planned so that was the next intended use.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Jim
I was one of the early purchasers of the Pulsar and had issues with my first two. Superchips/Edge were awesome and they worked with me each time. I liked the extra features of the TD2 and decided after about 30,000 miles on my Pulsar that I was going to make the switch. They gave me a trade in credit on my Pulsar towards the TD2, but my ECU swap did not go well. The tunes would not load correctly and my Jeep drove awful. Not just limp mode, but physically there was obviously something wrong. Literally had jerking and vibrations (can only imagine resulting from bad programming and cylinders not firing correctly). I removed the new ECU and luckily hadn't sent my stock one back and spent about 3 hours on the phone with customer service trying to figure out what was wrong. In the end, I just didn't trust the ECU swap. Sent the TD2 back for a full refund and they sent me a 3rd Pulsar. It was V3 with a new mother board and they said it was much more stable than the original. Mine still looks like the original and not the V4 pictured in this thread. I am hoping the V4 software update will be compatible if KurtP's suggestions to Superchips are worth loading. I only have about 2,000 miles on my new Pulsar, but so far no issues. My first two could go 5,000-7,000 miles between codes, but they always reset.

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
My v3 never had those issues. The only remaining issues ive had is occasionally the ess memory function drops and i have to hit the ess button again. Not a huge deal.

The other edits/beta notes i had for superchips was driving file related and will be part of the software update, which as i understand it will work on any unit.

Jtschnel

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I was one of the early purchasers of the Pulsar and had issues with my first two. Superchips/Edge were awesome and they worked with me each time. I liked the extra features of the TD2 and decided after about 30,000 miles on my Pulsar that I was going to make the switch. They gave me a trade in credit on my Pulsar towards the TD2, but my ECU swap did not go well. The tunes would not load correctly and my Jeep drove awful. Not just limp mode, but physically there was obviously something wrong. Literally had jerking and vibrations (can only imagine resulting from bad programming and cylinders not firing correctly). I removed the new ECU and luckily hadn't sent my stock one back and spent about 3 hours on the phone with customer service trying to figure out what was wrong. In the end, I just didn't trust the ECU swap. Sent the TD2 back for a full refund and they sent me a 3rd Pulsar. It was V3 with a new mother board and they said it was much more stable than the original. Mine still looks like the original and not the V4 pictured in this thread. I am hoping the V4 software update will be compatible if KurtP's suggestions to Superchips are worth loading. I only have about 2,000 miles on my new Pulsar, but so far no issues. My first two could go 5,000-7,000 miles between codes, but they always reset.
Thanks for the background. To date I’ve not had any problems with the ECU swap that was done last year, but I’ve not utilized the TD2 beyond setting the tire height. When we get back to WI I planned on a gear change (April) but now with Kurt’s experiences I’m planning on doing the intake, exhaust and utilizing the remapping feature as well. Given your experience with the TD2 we’ll be getting hold of Superchips to talk about the TD2 vs Pulsar for the upcoming changes. Again, many thanks for your feedback.

Jim

P.S. If anyone else out there has the TD2, I’d be very interested in hearing about your experiences.

Pavs1980JT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self Employed
Pulsar corrects throttle. They will be pushing an update based on feedback from me and another beta tester that will be much better. Just have to update with their cable.

For cruising, youll get a fair amount of benefit from the pedal commander i think.
Hey Kurt!

just seeking more advice! Would I get the pedal controller as well as the pulsar? Or did you mean get the pedal controller just for cruising?
Also is this a module you can plug in play yourself or should it be installed by someone with a dunk? My concern being in a market with not too many Jeep recognised tuners that I don’t know if I would be getting it installed and tuned correctly! Is it an easy module to tune that if I need a dyno that anyone who can tune an engine can achieve good results?

I appreciate and Thanks for all the advice all the way from this side of the world!!

Pavs1980JT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
S
Hey Kurt!

just seeking more advice! Would I get the pedal controller as well as the pulsar? Or did you mean get the pedal controller just for cruising?
Also is this a module you can plug in play yourself or should it be installed by someone with a dunk? My concern being in a market with not too many Jeep recognised tuners that I don’t know if I would be getting it installed and tuned correctly! Is it an easy module to tune that if I need a dyno that anyone who can tune an engine can achieve good results?

I appreciate and Thanks for all the advice all the way from this side of the world!!
Sorry Dyno....not dunk!! Damn autocorrect.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If you want to tune it tune it, go with Livernois. Pulsar for a piggy back. Both will correct pedal input. Pedal commander is for people who want total control over pedal feel or juat want to correct pedal lag and not tune.

Pavs1980JT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
If you want to tune it tune it, go with Livernois. Pulsar for a piggy back. Both will correct pedal input. Pedal commander is for people who want total control over pedal feel or juat want to correct pedal lag and not tune.
No I’m happy with the results you’re getting! I’m not interested totally in power gains or anything like that! Mileage is what I’m looking for! Plus the ability to take the unit off when I take it to the dealer for servicing so as not to void warranty is a bonus too! So is it something I can plug and play myself or will I need a professional tuner to install it?

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
No I’m happy with the results you’re getting! I’m not interested totally in power gains or anything like that! Mileage is what I’m looking for! Plus the ability to take the unit off when I take it to the dealer for servicing so as not to void warranty is a bonus too! So is it something I can plug and play myself or will I need a professional tuner to install it?
Brackets and plugs only. If you have a bit of mechanical aptitude you should be able to handle the install.

Pavs1980JT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Brackets and plugs only. If you have a bit of mechanical aptitude you should be able to handle the install.
Great thanks for that!! I just watched an install in YouTube and it looks pretty easy!

OP
OP
KurtP

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Either i had a tail wind the entire drive into work, or these RokBlokz have way more of an affect on air drag than i would have thought. Had them off for some wheeling, and havent put them back on yet. Gonna do my test loop with them off later this week and see.
Sponsored