OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Update to this Rack Build...

As noted previously I replaced the lighter, shorter profile 14-gauge Superstrut crossbars with the taller profile, heavier 12-gauge Superstrut crossbars:

gladiatorrack-2-jpeg-jpg-jpg.jpg

And then, instead of installing the steel tube Basket in the center, I moved it over to the passenger side. I used the above mentioned Superstrut U-bolt Channel to Beam Strut Clamps to secure the Basket to the crossbars.

Next to the steel tube Basket I installed a long gun Case - it's a made in China Case identical to this one sold by Harbor Freight - this Case is very common on the internet - companies buy them in bulk and resell them with their name on them. It's decent quality for the price and for this application I had no need to spend 2X this or more for a higher quality name brand product that is more than what's needed.

64520_w5-jpg-jpg.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/mater...f-protective-rifle-case-long-black-64520.html

Here you can see some pics of the installation of the tube steel Basket and the Long Gun Case next to it...

gladiatorrackrevised-1-jpeg-jpg.jpg

gladiatorrackrevised-2-jpeg-jpg.jpg

gladiatorrackrevised-3-jpeg-jpg.jpg

gladiatorrackrevised-5-jpeg-jpg.jpg

gladiatorrackrevised-4-jpeg-jpg.jpg

I suppose it's worth noting that the Case is NOT used to hold or transport firearms. I'm using it for a variety of gear including some recovery items, jumper cables, first aid kit and a recovery strap.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a pic with the rack revisions - larger crossbars (Superstrut), tube Basket, long gun Case and the factory tonneau cover in place...

screen-shot-2020-08-02-at-2-09-30-pm-png-png.png

marcwithac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
Sorry, just saw this now. It's possible but I'm unsure if the tonneau could still be rolled up if the upper brackets were a "few inches shorter."
No worries. I went with BillieBars. I can roll the tonneau without issue.

JfishKing

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 JKU Sahara
Last week I received an email from Scott Chaney and here's what he said...

Heads up, turns out the brackets do clear the factory tonneau covers.
Regards,
Scott

Here's a pic of his brackets - lower and upper bolted together with a strut crossbar...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack screen-shot-2020-08-02-at-2-09-30-pm-png-

Unfortuately, when i reached out to scott today, he expressed that this will not work with the factory oem soft tonneua... now back to the drawing board? How can we get it to work with the facotry soft roll tonneau????

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired
Make the bracket a little wider at the upper folding line....

Unfortuately, when i reached out to scott today, he expressed that this will not work with the factory oem soft tonneua... now back to the drawing board? How can we get it to work with the facotry soft roll tonneau????
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack gladiator bed brackets

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just PM'd this to Justin...

Hi Justin, I don't understand why Scott is saying his brackets won't work with the Gladiator tonneau covers. I gave him the dimensions of my VooDoo brackets so he could copy those dimensions - did he not do that?

My tonneau cover does catch on the bolts when I'm rolling it open but it's a very minor issue as I simply angle the cover when rolling it and I can get the cover past the bolts. And you could reverse the bolts with the bolt heads on the inside to avoid this issue.

The question is what is the dimension of his bracket from the inside edge of the bed rail to the inside of his bracket (what's the width of the flat part of the bracket as it would sit on the side rail?).

If you can get that dimension you and I can check our tonneau covers' dimensions. I suspect his brackets will work but we can determine that using the dimension and we can calculate the overall inside dimension from inside the bracket on one side to the inside on the other.

Here's a page in my thread that shows his bracket and I mention about my tonneau. I'm sure you've seen it but it's worth having as a reference: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-a-perfect-for-me-gladiator-rack.27705/page-8

Let me know what you find out from Scott. He should remember me as I helped him a lot with his brackets - designing and selling them.
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 11.34.23 AM

Last edited:

JfishKing

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, 2016 JKU Sahara
Thanks Dan... this was from him....

Justin,

Our bed bases do not clear OEM tonneau covers. Do have a setup under an aftermarket tonneau cover that clears. The bed bases are an overall 2 3/4" wide.

Yes, it includes bed bases and towers.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Paden501

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
Man I loved your build so much that I just had to copy it (more or less). I got my uprights and brackets for Christmas just a few weeks ago and wasted no time getting it put together. It got put to use straight away for hauling us and a truckload of Christmas gifts for the kids home from the holidays.

I
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 20210101_125137

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 20210102_112006

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 20210102_112020

I did make some minor modifications to the design to accommodate my tonneau cover. I think that anyone else who's looking to use this rack system with a tonneau would benefit from something like this.

What I did was I cut down some of the smaller gauge superstrut from Home Depot and then used a grinder to cut one side of the C channel away to make a sort of "L" bracket. I then bolted these new brackets in along the inside of the rack bracket (Using the same bolts that hold the bracket to the factory bed rail). This allowed me to have an anchor point to secure the tonneau cover (the cover normally hooks to the factory bedrail using some aluminum brackets, but that rail was covered by the new rack brackets). See photo below and you should get the idea. In the long run, I may weld the angles onto the rack brackets, but for now this solution is working fine.

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 20210101_114203

Overall I really dig this setup. It's considerably more sturdy and "heavy duty" than I had expected it to be. Going into this I didn't really believe that these would be strong enough to support a rooftop tent, but now that it's on my truck I'd totally feel confident putting my fat @ss on top of it. Great product!

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired
Dan by any chance do you know how far the brackets stick out outside the jeep cargo bed? on post #133 photos 3-4 and 6 I would like to do the same set up with a diamondback cover....
Revisions to the Perfect-for-Me-Gladiator-Rack...

As noted above I replaced the lighter, shorter profile 14-gauge Superstrut crossbars with the taller profile, heavier 12-gauge Superstrut crossbars:

gladiatorrack-2-jpeg.jpg

GladiatorRackRevised - 1.jpeg

GladiatorRackRevised - 2.jpeg

GladiatorRackRevised - 5.jpeg

GladiatorRackRevised - 4.jpeg

I suppose it's worth noting that the Case is NOT used to hold or transport firearms. I'm using it for a variety of gear including some recovery items, jumper cables, first aid kit and a recovery strap.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dan by any chance do you know how far the brackets stick out outside the jeep cargo bed? on post #133 photos 3-4 and 6 I would like to do the same set up with a diamondback cover....
If these dimensions don't work for you let me know what you need...

Here you can see how the brackets and tonneau cover fit...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack 20210101_114203

And a whole host of bracket dimensions...

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
More pics of the rack and bed loaded for our 3-day, 2021 President's Weekend trip to/through Death Valley...

I purchased a waterproof bag for the rack (much better than using a tarp folded over). It has a U-zipper so I can easily stow the folding chairs, camp table, tent, tent poles, shovel, etc., inside. Bag has adjustable straps and I covered it with the elastic "spider web"

Bed open..

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 11

And closed...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 8

Side view - no lights on...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 7

Side light on...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 6

Rear lights on...

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 5

Switch box I made for the lights installed on the rack - 1 on each side and 2 facing to the rear...
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 2

Driver's side light on - black case has recovery gear, 12v compressor, first aid kit, etc. inside....

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 3

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 9

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 4

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 1

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
More pics of the rack and bed loaded for our 3-day, 2021 President's Weekend trip to/through Death Valley...

I purchased a waterproof bag for the rack (much better than using a tarp folded over). It has a U-zipper so I can easily stow the folding chairs, camp table, tent, tent poles, shovel, etc., inside. Bag has adjustable straps and I covered it with the elastic "spider web"

Bed open..

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Jeep Gladiator packed for DV trip - 1

And closed...

Side view - no lights on...

Side light on...

Rear lights on...

Switch box I made for the lights installed on the rack - 1 on each side and 2 facing to the rear...

Driver's side light on - black case has recovery gear, 12v compressor, first aid kit, etc. inside....

Nice set up!

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the link for the supplier brackets? I very like what you done!
I believe I've posted info on every component used in building this rack. Let me know if you don't find them...