Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
  • Banned
Here is a quick guide for removing the antenna and base from the outside of the Jeep and moving it to the interior. I was inspired by @sblaine. Thanks my friend!

Prep: Remove the glove box and lower passenger door cable cover. The glovebox is removed by popping the left side arm upwards out of its hole and fishing it out of the socket. After that, push up on the upper lip and pull the glovebox down. The passenger door cable cover is held on by a couple push clips. Don’t break any of this!

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior 7DB2AC3C-1D9A-49BA-8B36-FEBBB1537AD0

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior CAA5716C-24DA-4414-96B7-11C1148693BC

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior 74FCFFEE-1C02-4FD2-8257-04E136CD4911

Step 1: Get into the passenger footwell and unplug the radio antenna wire. It is a single plug. The radio-side wire is held on by two push pin retainer pins (circled in red in photo). They are attached to the dash. I removed these from their holes for a bit more movement and easier access. Once they’re removed, the connection will spin freely and you can depress the cable clip to disconnect the cables. Stay calm, because there is not much room and it can be a booger.

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior 2F59C347-EADC-4B28-8724-F2C89F912FFB

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior CB7A1635-8155-45D1-AE35-880D562CA163

Step 2: Go outside and remove the antenna from the base. Pretty straightforward. If yours is tight use pliers or a wrench. Be careful with your paint!

Step 3: Remove the black cover on the antenna base. I used the following video to help figure this out. Again, be careful not to gouge your paint!

Step 4: Remove the three 8mm bolts holding the base onto the vehicle. Don’t let it drop down on your paint.

Step 5: Now it’s time to pull the antenna cable completely out of the vehicle from the outside. There is a tight fitting grommet that holds the cable securely to the vehicle. Shine a light into the hole and you’ll see what I mean. You’ll have to trust me on this one, but just pull the cable and it will come free. It’s tight, so just wiggle it around as you’re pulling and it will come free. Don’t pull like King Kong....just use some finesse. Neither the cable or the base broke on me. You can do it! Once it comes free, the cable will pull out completely. There is a 90 degree elbow in the cable on the interior side of the grommet, so you may need to use finesse and fish it out through the hole. I found that if you reach behind the passenger knee speaker box you can feel this elbow. Once you get the cable out the hardest part is over.

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior BB4AF037-CC1C-41A9-AE59-5CE6D974424C

Step 6: Attach the antenna back to the base and find a good spot for it inside of the vehicle. For me, it was simply under the dash on the passenger side. I already had a 13 inch Raydonair antenna in place of the factory one. Obviously, the shorter the antenna the easier it is to hide and mount, but you may run into reception issues with smaller antennas. This mod isn’t for someone who needs the best reception anyhow. I plugged the antenna cable back in and turned the radio on while searching for decent reception. Once you find a suitable spot, put some zip ties around the cable/antenna/base to secure it in place. *Photos of my location are further down.*

Step 7: Button up your Jeep interior and get all the panels back in place exactly how you took them out.

Step 8: I found a Trail badge at my local dealer to cover the holes on the outside where the antenna was. Wash up the area real nice and mount your new badge. I did not fill the grommet hole or antenna base holes with anything. Time will tell if this was a bad idea or not. So far, the adhesive badge feels really secure.

Final Step: Enjoy the new clean look!

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior 7CB705CD-4DA3-4E68-8166-84B1BA7FC960

All in all, I did lose a little bit of reception. This reception loss only amounted to losing one “favorite” radio station completely and gaining some static on another. Otherwise, radio reception is acceptable. @sblaine moved his antenna behind the passenger grab handle, but I was getting a lot of static with mine there. I simply placed mine under the passenger side of the dash. It tucked up out of the way nicely. The base sits close to the center of the dash and the antenna runs up next to the plastic air blower system.

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior AACC3CF8-5645-449B-9A3D-3185B5AC2A43

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior FC56604E-B1E8-4E21-B1BB-E20D45ACDD9F

Here is a photo of the parts diagram to show you what you’re working with. It helped me understand what I was removing and come up with an idea of how to remove it.

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior AFEA23F9-B313-4DB6-9951-F6FB75834521

Thanks and good luck!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jimmij

First Name
Jimmij
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator overland, 2004 Honda s2000
Great write up. Is there a reason that you didn’t simply mount it under the hood? lacking reception maybe?

sblaine

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys - Red
Occupation
Security Alarms
Great work! Way to document all of that.

OP
OP
Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
  • Banned
Great write up. Is there a reason that you didn’t simply mount it under the hood? lacking reception maybe?
Interior was just my first thought. It seemed to be the easiest location. Reception may be better outside the cab I would think. Not sure though.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
I wondered the same thing, I may attempt this but stick with the stock antenna and run it along the back of the engine bay somewhere near the back/firewall. I was thinking following the windshield spray nozzle lines could work.

Sponsored

Speedy_12139

First Name
Kenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500, 2011 BMW 335i, (Potental) '21 Rubicon
Occupation
Construction & Renovations
Neat! Might have to do this! I quite like the clean "shaved" look. Use spotify and sat radio usually anyways

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Awesome! My next mod. Gotta order another badge.

Funny that I have never noticed the trail rated badge is missing from the passenger side. I always thought it was on both sides.

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
Awesome! My next mod. Gotta order another badge.

Funny that I have never noticed the trail rated badge is missing from the passenger side. I always thought it was on both sides.
LOL, I just now noticed this as well!

OP
OP
Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
  • Banned
FWIW if you go to the dealer make sure they price match what you find online. JustForJeeps was $60 for the badge and the dealer wanted $80. They price matched at $60 and saved me shipping.

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
FWIW if you go to the dealer make sure they price match what you find online. JustForJeeps was $60 for the badge and the dealer wanted $80. They price matched at $60 and saved me shipping.
Mojave badge is under $12 !

Sponsored

OP
OP
Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Mojave badge is under $12 !
I noticed there is a big difference in badges.They ranged anywhere from $10-75 it seemed. The color and pattern I needed was one of the most expensive.....figures lol

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I’d like to try this but with an windshield antenna. Unfortunately all the ones I’ve seen on Amazon have a different plug.

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior 8E184F3C-B0D4-4333-A8B8-A7325084E20A

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior 9FD8C8DA-6141-4CC4-84CD-FC8457DE0F7D

OP
OP
Moe_Fugga

Moe_Fugga

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I’d like to try this but with an windshield antenna. Unfortunately all the ones I’ve seen on Amazon have a different plug.

Jeep Gladiator AM/FM Antenna Delete - Moving From Exterior to Interior 9FD8C8DA-6141-4CC4-84CD-FC8457DE0F7D

I messed with an antenna in another vehicle years ago and the first picture looks like the connector that went straight into the back of that radio. That may work if you’re willing to put in the work for it.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
This well explains "how", but I'm still scratching my head as to "why?"

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
This well explains "how", but I'm still scratching my head as to "why?"
Because the stock antenna is a nuisance. I have paint chips from it whipping around and was planning an obligatory Rydonair antenna, but that might get in the way if I add any A-pillar ditch lights or Rugged Ridge Amfib snorkel or whatever.
I have never had XM radio before and will never go back to AM/FM. But, I am also one to “preserve“ things so I’d rather relocate an antenna than just ditch it and lose radio capability altogether.
I scour these forum for months just to catch out of the box ideas that might be useful, so thanks @Moe_Fugga
Sponsored