Sponsored

Aux battery is still charging

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Yeah i'm going to be annoyed when they tell me its still doing it after spending 2 days on that damn reset procedure.
Oh boy, I’m not sure what kind of time you have to spend on the silly little ESS feature not working.

For me, it all started about 5-months ago, and they haven’t even suggested swapping a single battery.

October: Let’s address the battery issue at the same time as your steering gear TSB.

December: Hey, JeepCares, any update on my TSB?

January: JeepCares got the steering gear to the dealer within a couple of weeks, let’s do this.

January: TSB replaced, general insanity at the dealer regarding ESS issue.

January: Hey, JeepCares, can I work with a different dealer?

January-March: New dealer visit 1, we charged the batteries on a tender. Visit 2, that didn’t work? Ok, we unplugged your batteries for a couple of minutes, let’s see if the system can “relearn”. Visit 3, that didn’t work? Ok, let’s have you visit so we can order a “battery sensor” and have you come back again. Visit 4, ok, the sensor is installed, we think it should work.

Today: I reached back out to @JeepCares to arrange my next visit. To their credit, JeepCares has been great to deal with. I’d rather just not have spent so much time dealing with the “silly little ESS feature”...

It seems others have had simpler experiences with the dealers—sometimes only one or two repeat visits. I hope your experience is shorter than mine.
Sponsored

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
I mean I guess it’s not a huge deal if it doesn’t work as long as it’s not throwing codes. It annoying to have a feature not work at all and the dealer be useless getting it fixed.

Deleted member 33157

You really have to push them to load test both batteries , first time I took it in they said could not duplicate problem , I know they put it on a charge because like you it worked great for a while and then back to the way it was. I never use the feature but I did not like the fact that it said battery charging. Since they replaced it ESS is very fast to work, I still disable it but no more charging.

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Same here.

Used an Aux switch to power a dash cam. Noticed the switch would turn off occasionally (despite being set to “latching). “Start/stop not ready ... battery charging.”

Later, during steering TSB fix, dealer noticed my aux battery needed to be replaced, so they did.

Unfortunately nothing has changed. Any device using Aux switches gets drained over time, switch turns off. “Battery charging”

Maybe both batteries need to be replaced? Seems lame for a brand new vehicle.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
I have the same issue. I swapped both batteries for brand new. Still has the charging message. No clue what it is.

Sponsored

DeezJT

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending
Occupation
Process Engineer
I have an appointment tomorrow for my aux battery and rear seat squeak. Dealer is charging me 300 (150 each) for diagnose. Not looking forward to it but i'm paying for convenience due to location.

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
My dealer took forever to do the whole "relearn" process, but so far so good. its been almost a month and still no issues. That could be the first thing to try for folks that have replaced the battery.
🤷‍♂️

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
Some one. Where and what is the IBS. How do I disconnect it

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Some one. Where and what is the IBS. How do I disconnect it
Intelligent Battery Sensor on the main battery negative terminal.

Sponsored

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
I have an appointment tomorrow for my aux battery and rear seat squeak. Dealer is charging me 300 (150 each) for diagnose. Not looking forward to it but i'm paying for convenience due to location.
Should that not be a warranty issue.. no charge? Cheers!

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
I always turn ESS off but left it on the other day and noticed it wasn't stopping. I was happy my negative thoughts on the system disabled it but scrolling through the menu, it says aux battery is still charging. It says that all the time and ESS does not work. I added a bumper and winch over Christmas and I don't know how long it's been like this. It looks like from searching that the aux battery has issues taking a dump. Will they cover it with a winch? I have only used it once and that's when I rolled the line up on the drum. The engine was running when I did it. I have 18k on the truck so far
My JTR took three visits to the dealer and actually have to deal with the Service Manager to be the battery looked at.... the service Advisor kept giving me excuses. In the end, after charging both batteries and still seeing the battery charging message on the dash for the ESS status screen, the fix, in the end, was to replace the main battery and the IBS (intelligent battery sensor). The Service Manager said they have no way to test the IBS and basically replaced it just in case/could be an issue. All has been great since with ESS. Cheers!

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
So just disconnect the negative terminal??? To disconnect IBS

PEI-Gladys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black JTR
Occupation
Ed Tech
Yeah it’s just an estimate but if it’s blamed on abuse, then the 300 will be applied otherwise it will be covered.
That could be an interesting call.. unless you have done mods that included any electrical. Then if they include the factory installed auxiliary switches, they are there to be used. Will be curious to hear what they say.. good luck. Cheers!
Sponsored