Sponsored

Car and Driver has posted a 10,000 mile update to their long term Gladiator review. Pretty negative

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Just over 8k on mine. Not one problem. I guess the shit will hit the fan in about 2k miles, huh? I absolutely love mine and what I've done with it and where it's taken me. And it's just got a leveling kit and 33s. Who cares what C&D says and thinks. To quote a line from "Good Morning Vietnam," they can suck the sweat off a dead man's balls. Had no issues doing what I did below this last weekend.
20210501_143123.jpg
20210501_142347.jpg
20210501_142200.jpg
Sponsored

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Having a manual Mojave myself this article was of special interest for me. Mine was built after the tranny/clutch and steering recalls (except the newest software clutch update). I haven't had any of the problems as mentioned in the article, I'm going on 7,000 miles. I really enjoy this truck! Mojave and a manual transmission belong together, just makes sense. It is a riot to drive, puts a smile on my face.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
This is what happens when you put sports car people in a Jeep. Any Jeep!

I may be planning a power upgrade, but I love my JT. The biggest issue I had with it was the stupid ass piece of junk clutch.

I replaced that with aftermarket and I absolutely love driving my jeep. It is my 2nd favorite vehicle of all time.

Sounds like they were beating on the Mojave in the desert and really tore up the clutch and transmission. I get it, the vehicle can be fun, but if you are constantly doing burnouts and donuts, you are going to break things. Notice their pictures even showed them doing donuts off-road.

Sorry Car and Driver, but this time you missed the mark!

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Well it is CAR and Driver...... What do you expect?? Can a CAR cross the Rubicon?? I guess if I was reviewing a Porsche last week, the Gladiator may seem a little crude, noisy and poor handling. However, if I was to review the Porsche AFTER driving the JT all I would be able to say about it is BORING...

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
A couple of things struck me in this review:

this section: "Once our truck completed Jeep's short 300-mile break-in period, a brutal high-rpm clutch drop in 4HI launched it to 60 mph in a lazy 8.5 seconds"

and this one: "On level ground and with the manual in sixth gear, the Mojave required a staggering 24.3 seconds to complete the 30-to-50-mph and 50-to-70-mph passing tests."

I'm shocked that the transmission even lasted to 7000 miles after that, they should probably only allow those that know how to drive stick shift and understand automobiles drive their test vehicles.

the top gear 30-50mph and 50-70mph passing is also insane, not sure why that would even be a metric when some vehicles (like the jeep) have double overdrives making top gear unusable below 50 or 60mph

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Is the aluminum box a recall? How do I tell if my 2020 S has it?
You should be able to see it if you look down and just to the right of your air intake box. I have the steel one (from factory) and big crosswinds are still an issue. So are trucks passing me.

Someone else on another thread mentioned it but the Glady is just a little too light in the ass for its poor drag coefficient. It’s been manageable for me though, I’m not too upset about it. It’ll probably get better with some added armor weight, winch, gear, etc.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
"This article brought to you by Chevrolet. We build disappointment!"

Mojave2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Just bought my Mojave yesterday🙂 Traded in my 17 Challenger Scat Pack for it. This truck is just sheer fun! Sure it maybe out spec’d by some other trucks here and there but the fun and coolness factor is impossible to beat plus it can take on life’s daily chores just fine. To me that’s all that matters.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Not to hijack, but is there a thread on the forum for those of us who haven't had the steering fix applied? I feel like I'm in such a minority group, I need support 😬 My steering has been fine, so I keep wondering what is it like to feel these experiences y'all are talking about.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Their first photo shows that they drove it like they stole it. No love, right from the beginning. We all know that C&D only has love for sports cars, preferably German, or maybe Japanese.

Sponsored

Sparty

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR (Gecko) / 2021 JLR
Not to hijack, but is there a thread on the forum for those of us who haven't had the steering fix applied? I feel like I'm in such a minority group, I need support 😬 My steering has been fine, so I keep wondering what is it like to feel these experiences y'all are talking about.
Basically it's loose and it wanders.....even more than one would expect with a Jeep.

That's why it's just a service bulletin. There are aluminum boxes out there that aren't in a bad condition where they need to be updated. It's just more of a "some have the problem, and some don't" type of thing....at least that's how I've read it

MojaveJT

First Name
Lyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Well, I have a Mojave and I have zero complaints. Does it wander a little, yes, if the road is rutted or in a harsh crosswind. Is it terrible, absolutely not. As for mileage, I average 17.5 in combined city and highway driving and that’s with 35s. Mine is an auto so I wouldn’t know about the stick shift, but there is plenty of power and torque with the 8 speed tranny with no issues when passing at all. Towing is not an issue either. I tow a 23’ pontoon boat regularly and, if you know what your doing, 4500lbs is no problem.

They need to compare apples to apples. It’s a Jeep and I wouldn’t have it any other way, although, a 392 would certainly be nice!

29458057-3DDA-4A4B-B9A1-73295E58028E.jpeg

Bull Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sea-cups.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave Sting Grey. 2018 Audi S5
I still remember the CR review of the first gen Miata. Choppy highway ride, darty steering, not much storage space. Last time I bothered with CR for anything but dishwasher reviews.

C/D is a shadow of what it used to be, but that's been true for over a decade. At least you knew what to expect from a Motor Trendy article.
Ha. Good points. CR is good for utilitarian things like a dishwasher. Nerds. Give them a Ferrari and watch them trash it compared to a Honda Accord. I haven't followed the car magazines in years. I know boat magazines are just shills for advertisers.

coder

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Power Wagon, 2019 JLUS
Car and Driver isn't a credible source for evaluating off-road centric vehicles.

Sky Soldier

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon current, sold: 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 2007 JKU Sahara, 1995 2dr Sport, 1979 CJ7 AMC 304
Occupation
Retired
I don’t understand why anyone would buy a manual transmission Gladiator. It is their weakest link. Until FCA finds a better manual transmission, their bullet proof 8 speed automatic is the only way to go. It is so easy to use it as a manual without the clutch for any off-roading.
Sponsored