Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
BEERviper said:
....I will be towing a ~3,500 lb camper 7-10 times over the summer and would think the triple rate springs would serve my purposes better... Thoughts?...

ssteve said:
...get a good weight distribution hit(ch) and some type of rear extended bump. Timbrens would work or you could do hydronic or air bumps and adjust them accordingly...

I would ditto the response above. Just getting my JTRD tomorrow and starting the build, targeting similar activities... 3500lb trailer, kayak rack or hardtop, etc. The local 4x4 shop I'm working with in Western Montana recommended Timbrens might be a good option for me as well. Also in the manual Jeep recommends weight distribution hitches with anything this heavy.

I'm going to take this stepwise:
1) Measure stock clearance
2) Add 35's and measure again
3) Add the weight... including kayaks and trailer... and measure again.

Then based on that figure out what size lift, and potential other suspension mods will be optimal to get me back to good daily driving and max loading.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
For those with the kit how does it drive compared to stock? And specifically both in terms of ride quality and bump steer...

I do not prefer the Mopar stuff for suspension and would prefer to piece together a kit (i.e., King 2.5's with adjusters + springs + arms) but that's proving difficult given lack of spring options out there. So I might have to buy it for now and sell it later.

If I try to piece something together -- can I just add a spacer to make up for difference between diesel and non diesel springs? Or will it ride worse than the Mopar kit? I assume the King 2.5 valving is decently stiff as well -- but do you guys assume that shocks need to be valved for Diesel JT in order to provide a good quality ride?

Just picked up the JTRD last night. DREAM!

Last edited:

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
For those with the kit how does it drive compared to stock? And specifically both in terms of ride quality and bump steer...

I do not prefer the Mopar stuff for suspension and would prefer to piece together a kit (i.e., King 2.5's with adjusters + springs + arms) but that's proving difficult given lack of spring options out there. So I might have to buy it for now and sell it later.

That is a great question and I have been trying to decide. I don't think the ride has changed much, if at all. I was trying to decide just this morning on my way in to work whether there was an impact on the steering. I am not sure. Maybe a bit, but nothing too drastic if I have had it on there a couple of weeks and I am still trying to decide if anything is different.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is a great question and I have been trying to decide. I don't think the ride has changed much, if at all. I was trying to decide just this morning on my way in to work whether there was an impact on the steering. I am not sure. Maybe a bit, but nothing too drastic if I have had it on there a couple of weeks and I am still trying to decide if anything is different.
That's great to hear. What about just pulling into a driveway where there's the curb part? You don't get any movement in the cabin stock but often times, once you lift -- you get that sway/movement. In fairness, my JL setup was a very soft Fox shock (notorious for softer ride), and EVO's plush springs, so maybe that was more of the issue.

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager

If I try to piece something together -- can I just add a spacer to make up for difference between diesel and non diesel springs? Or will it ride worse than the Mopar kit? I assume the King 2.5 valving is decently stiff as well -- but do you guys assume that shocks need to be valved for Diesel JT in order to provide a good quality ride?

I have the 2 inch Mopar installed on the 2021 JTRD and love it! Rides great!

Sponsored

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport EcoDiesel
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase

I think the ride is better than stock with my Mopar diesel kit. It is stiffer in the right ways to help with handling in turns and takes sharp and heavy hits much better. The Jeep feels very planted. The fox 2.5s are huge and a great shock. I think the shock tuning was done really well.

I would be careful when piecing together parts from different kits. Springs and shocks should be tuned to work together. The are countless videos and threads on suspension tuning. Not all shocks and springs go together.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the ride is better than stock with my Mopar diesel kit. It is stiffer in the right ways to help with handling in turns and takes sharp and heavy hits much better. The Jeep feels very planted. The fox 2.5s are huge and a great shock. I think the shock tuning was done really well.

I would be careful when piecing together parts from different kits. Springs and shocks should be tuned to work together. The are countless videos and threads on suspension tuning. Not all shocks and springs go together.
Glad to hear it rides great! I didn't realize that kit came with 2.5's. That's a plus for sure.

RE: piecing together kits, I'm actually going against my own advice as well on that one but:
1) I want to run 40's occasionally when I go to Moab a couple times a year.
2) I am hoping the diesel rock krawler springs will mate up OK to the King 2.5's designed for the JT.

But yeah, the valving might need re-done. We'll see. Hope not. And the Mopar kit is certainly appetizing at it's price point. Sounds like it's a great kit. The stock style control arms have their advantage from an on road standpoint.

alpineovernappa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTSS 3.0 & 2006 LJ 6mt
I did my mopar lift this past Friday and added the 3/4 inch daystar spacer to take about 50% of the rake out. The lift came out great and rides really good. The 37inch milestars are awesome. at only 73lbs my wheel/tire combo is only 100lbs and they are very quiet at highway speed for a mud tire.

I did run into an issue when installing the lift kit and I called my dealer about it the day of. They did not have an awesome for me but should get back to me on Monday. In the kit instructions the part # of the springs are associated by LF, RF, RR and LR for left front, right front, etc. But Looking at the image on the instruction associated with the part # and reference code (LF, RF, RR, LR) the image shows the opposite side of the jeep for install. Basically, depending on how you read the instructions the spring can be installed on one side vs the other. I think this is an error in the instructions. On the JL manual everything lines up with the images. Curious what you all think... some of your kits may be installed incorrectly as well if this is an error in the instructions.

20201127_164534.jpg

20201127_164528.jpg

20201127_164459.jpg

20201129_112257.jpg
I wonder if they changed the side you install the springs on because the fuel tank is switch for the diesel, moving the weight, but neglected to create a new diagram depicting that. I think I'd probably follow the written instructions, not the picture

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I installed mine recently, and follow the lettering next to each part number, not the picture, for the springs.

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if they changed the side you install the springs on because the fuel tank is switch for the diesel, moving the weight, but neglected to create a new diagram depicting that. I think I'd probably follow the written instructions, not the picture
I think you're right and ultimately that is what I wound up doing.. 5000 miles on the lift now and rides great.

Sponsored

aijt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator Ecodiesel
I think you're right and ultimately that is what I wound up doing.. 5000 miles on the lift now and rides great.
@Gladiator_92 - Thanks for posting. I have a 2021 Willy's EcoDiesel. You're the only non-Rubicon diesel I have seen with the Mopar 2" lift and 37's. Any rub issues? Have you had it off road? I'm not sure how my Willy's differs from your Sport S, but I do not have the high clearance Rubi fenders, either.

Can you give me some information on your wheel choice (width, backspace, etc.)? Are they stock?

Really trying to decide between 35s and 37s, but would like to keep minimal lift and stay with Mopar.

Also, is anybody thinking about re-gearing after bigger tires? The general consensus I see is that the torque on our diesels makes re-gearing much less necessary than on the gassers.

aijt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator Ecodiesel
@Gladiator_92 - Thanks for posting. I have a 2021 Willy's EcoDiesel. You're the only non-Rubicon diesel I have seen with the Mopar 2" lift and 37's. Any rub issues? Have you had it off road? I'm not sure how my Willy's differs from your Sport S, but I do not have the high clearance Rubi fenders, either.

Can you give me some information on your wheel choice (width, backspace, etc.)? Are they stock?

Really trying to decide between 35s and 37s, but would like to keep minimal lift and stay with Mopar.

Also, is anybody thinking about re-gearing after bigger tires? The general consensus I see is that the torque on our diesels makes re-gearing much less necessary than on the gassers.
Scratch the question about re-gearing. Just found plenty of discussion on that... Sorry for the attempted thread hijack!

Gladiator_92

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Project Management
Vehicle Showcase

No mechanical differences between the sport and willy's so the results should be the same between yours and mine. No rubbing with 37s with swaybar connected. (Havent tested disconnected) i have been off road and full flexed, still no rubbing. Wheels are stock rubicons with teraflex wheels adapters for backspacing. I would do 37s again if i had the option. I dont feel the need to regear at all with my 37s.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
For those guys switching from the stock rubicon shocks, how is ride and bottoming out with the shocks in the kit? Pretty disappointed in how easy the stock shocks bottom out.
Sponsored