Sponsored

Project "Plywood Budget Topper"

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
As much as I love the RSI, Leer and ARE toppers, the reality is that I only really need a topper maybe 4-6 times per year. I also prefer the look of the gladiator without a top, so I just couldn't justify the cost of one of the toppers. Therefore, I decided to build one out of plywood. I used recycled material (including some crooked 2x4s) and all-in I was under $200....with most of that being the three sheets of plywood I had to buy at these crazy high prices. While I do woodworkign as a hobby, this was absolutely a "quick and dirty" build with a focus on function and strength over getting every seam perfect. I am sure this is not everyone's cup of tea, but we used it on it's first family camping trip and it worked perfectly.

Jeep Gladiator Project "Plywood Budget Topper" IMG_20210617_112204132

Jeep Gladiator Project "Plywood Budget Topper" IMG_20210617_112114220

Jeep Gladiator Project "Plywood Budget Topper" IMG_20210617_112141633
Sponsored

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT-R
Love the DIY stuff, making it work exactly for your needs rather than spending big bucks for a package of concessions and compromise. Well done, sir.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Looks like you could make some side and rafter storage the way you have it built to keep smaller things out of the way.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It fits your needs :like: I think that's great. It's probably not quite as hot to the touch too, I could have cooked eggs and bacon on top of my topper a few days ago. As the many "what is better and what is best" RTT vs ground tent vs tag trailer ECT. I'm starting to think many are "keeping up with the Joneses" Kool guy set up's and not out enjoying it.... I'm jaded though, better suited with AC Mosquitoes, humidity can be unbearable for some.

OP
OP
sdk131

sdk131

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow - Sarge Green
Looks like you could make some side and rafter storage the way you have it built to keep smaller things out of the way.
Yep, that was part of the practical concept as well. I can screw in little hooks/loops, drill holes, add brackets, add shelves, add nets, etc anywhere I want in a matter of seconds and without any concern of permanently altering an aluminum or fiberglass structure. I built it strong enough to be able to bolt or screw on anything I may want to add in the future.
Sponsored