OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
@WhatExit? thanks for the link. How did you secure the Apache case to the bar?
I put the case on the rack, positioned it where I wanted, made sure it was square/inline and then looked up through the rack's Unistrut/Powerstrut to mark the holes. Drilled holes and used SS bolts (from Lowe's - they have great Stainless Steel hardware at reasonable prices unlike Home Depot which doesn't), flat washers, lock/split washers and lock nuts (Stainless Steel lock nuts with nylon inserts in them - between them and the lock washers they'll never come undone).
Sponsored

CMT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I own a Tacoma and this thread has been far more valuable than any Tacoma thread I have found regarding a DIY bed rack. I ended up having to make my own mounting brackets from scratch, as the CCC brackets would not fit with a Tacoma OEM hard tonneau cover. I also didn't want to spend $185 for the Max Modular brackets, especially since I would only need the bottom portion. $46 per bracket + shipping seems extreme to me. Anyway, I have two questions for you...

1) When mounting the apache case, did you do any weather-proofing to the holes in the case and/or mounting hardware?
2) I used the same 12 gauge unistrut and am wondering if/how you painted the inside curve of the lip at the bottom of the bar.

Thanks a ton...

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I own a Tacoma and this thread has been far more valuable than any Tacoma thread I have found regarding a DIY bed rack. I ended up having to make my own mounting brackets from scratch, as the CCC brackets would not fit with a Tacoma OEM hard tonneau cover. I also didn't want to spend $185 for the Max Modular brackets, especially since I would only need the bottom portion. $46 per bracket + shipping seems extreme to me. Anyway, I have two questions for you...

1) When mounting the apache case, did you do any weather-proofing to the holes in the case and/or mounting hardware?
2) I used the same 12 gauge unistrut and am wondering if/how you painted the inside curve of the lip at the bottom of the bar.

Thanks a ton...

Hi Chris, glad you find this info/thread helpful! I understand you didn't want to pay the Max Modular guys for the parts you don't need. I think they'd rather not help people make their own racks so it's take-it-or-leave-it for them. There will certainly be other bracket options so it will be their loss.

As for the long gun case (used for off road recovery, first aid, air compressor, etc.), no need to weather proof the holes as I used washers inside and outside (underside). And you could easily buy some rubber sheeting and put that on both sides of the plastic case held in place by the washers. No water will get in if you do that but I'm skeptical of any water getting in from the underside anyway - the holes are barely larger than the bolts.

Unistrut - just rattle canned it from every angle. As long as you don't overspray/glob it on there the spray will get in most places. And inside those 2 tiny curves/rounded edges, it's so hard to see in there no one will notice if it's completely spray painted.

Post up pics of your work. I look forward to seeing what you're creating!

CMT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified that I'm not so concerned about the appearance of the paint job as I am about potential rust. I'm thinking that if I can't get paint into that bottom groove, I may just try to run a bead of clear caulk to fill it.

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. I should have clarified that I'm not so concerned about the appearance of the paint job as I am about potential rust. I'm thinking that if I can't get paint into that bottom groove, I may just try to run a bead of clear caulk to fill it.
You're talking about this?

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.40.32 PM

Sponsored

CMT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.40.32 PM.png
Yes- the inside of the curved channel at the bottom going across the whole bar (the channel you could roll a bb down if you tipped the bar). I get a decent amount of precip. where I live so I'm thinking that channel will likely collect water. I'll probably need to fill it with something. Here's a quick pick of the maiden voyage this morning.

Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.40.32 PM
Yes- the inside of the curved channel at the bottom going across the whole bar (the channel you could roll a bb down if you tipped the bar). I get a decent amount of rain where I live so I'm thinking that channel will likely collect water. I'll probably need to fill it with something. Here's a quick pick of the maiden voyage this morning.
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Tacoma

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Or you can flip the unistrut over.

GreyGhost

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020
Occupation
Retired
Diy rack on Diamondback cover recumbent bike on....
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack Rack bike jee

OP
OP
WhatExit?

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

clubmanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yes! I’m really keen on a hard tonneau but would like a rack as well. This is the first I’ve seen.....sorry to resurrect an old thread but more intel would be appreciated!

Sponsored

.:eMETAL:.

First Name
Erick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Hospitality
This thread is just gold. Plain and simple… gold.

My Mojave is on order with a 12/1 build date and I’m just roaming the ever living intrwebs for this exact thread. Now I realize that my mopar hard tonneau probably won’t work with this but I’ve already decided to ditch it and go with the bakflip revolver and this will work, I just know it. I may plan to run 3 of these towers on each bed side just for the multiple rotopax mounting capabilities.

pure gold! Thank you WhatExit? !!!

aqcjeepGlad

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Jeep Gladiator I'm building my idea of a perfect (for me) Gladiator rack PXL_20210812_221024577

Here is my rack, will be mounting a hi lift next to the basket
Looks great!!! What tonneau cover is that? Also what did you use to attach the towers to? The same test brackets as whatexit? used or something else? Thanks.
Sponsored